Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Will the new 'multi-million pound ILS upgrade' offer any advantages / improvements in landing capabilities compared to the current system ?

It’ll work. The existing one was at end of life. So, the new one means there will be ILS, sticking with the old one means there won’t be, sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Upgrading? That infers it will be better - which it won’t as far as being able to land in poor weather is concerned.

It’s a like for like replacement - new for old.

Is there a relationship between the 'new' radar and the ILS that's creating the issue, or just the ILS?

City flight to IOM cancelled at about 8.30pm, after incoming flight diverted to Birmingham- it had already landed there before they told us. Ground assistance shambolic, even made easyjet look competent (yes I was at Gatwick on Sunday too, like many of the passengers). Extremely inconvenient but I can work remotely at least, seemed to be a number of people with childcare issues and facing loss of pay left stranded. But it’s good to know March was the ideal time for the work.

Edited by Crusoe2023
Typo
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is there a relationship between the 'new' radar and the ILS that's creating the issue, or just the ILS?

Not that I’m aware of, and technically I don’t see how that could be. You don’t need radar to do an ILS and you don’t need an ILS to do a radar vectored approach.