Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't really think that's true, though it's the reason normally given.  EasyJet started flying here before the runway extension opened and I suspect there are other airports they use that are smaller.  I got the impression at the time that the real reason was for executive jets and the like and they were convinced that the improved ability for them to land would mean that the Island would soon be swamped with billionaires and Hollywood stars (these were the Bell years). 

Reynolds was initially brought over to sell the project to other politicians and public and encouraging cheap flights from easyJet helped do that.  But I don't think they were the reason for the runway extension.

If I recall correctly the RESA project was Reynolds predecessors baby. She was imported to manage the project. She only became AD after a year and half (approx.): https://www.isleofman.com/news/view/21971760/new-director-at-ronaldsway

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If I recall correctly the RESA project was Reynolds predecessors baby. She was imported to manage the project. She only became AD after a year and half (approx.): https://www.isleofman.com/news/view/21971760/new-director-at-ronaldsway

She was the one tasked with selling it to a sceptical public, particularly those informed about aviation, and ensuring an endless supply of public money from Tynwald.

One basic thing they could sort out cheaply at airport is a drinking water machine, lots of people including me have refillable bottles & except for toilet sinks which no one would use or join a massive queue at Costa to ask for water you are left with paying £2.35 for a 50ml bottle of water in shop!! 
Only airport I know that doesn’t have one & we’re supposed to be leading climate change!!

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Banker said:

One basic thing they could sort out cheaply at airport is a drinking water machine, lots of people including me have refillable bottles & except for toilet sinks which no one would use or join a massive queue at Costa to ask for water you are left with paying £2.35 for a 50ml bottle of water in shop!! 
Only airport I know that doesn’t have one & we’re supposed to be leading climate change!!

Except they would probably have to let a contract for the machine and refilling it. 

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

Once they are arm's length they will install a happy-not-happy button. You can press that, which will intermediately inform the managers (these days, known as leaders) of your specific complaint.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Except they would probably have to let a contract for the machine and refilling it. 

Not necessary, it’s just plumbed into mains & has a cooler in, most offices have them it’s just the cost of the machine & maybe a maintenance contract 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Here's a list

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-tips/#need-17

I’m not really sure how environmentally friendly or saving of resources a refillable water bottle is. Much more material and resources to make. Having to wash & sterilise. Emptying out before going through security before filling again airside?

How many times is the average one used for before being lost, put to one side or consigned to the cupboard of things bought with good intentions and used once.

Wouldn't a campaign for multiple chilled water drinking fountains in public buildings, and on the streets and promenades actually be better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Is this another confused post? Like not knowing the difference between Victoria Road and Victoria Street?

I’ve never come across water, or soft drinks, sold in 50ml, that’s a double measure in spirits.

Mind you, if I could sell bankers, and other suckers,  water at £47 a litre, I’d be very tempted. Much more lucrative than legal aid.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

When you say toilet sinks do you mean sinks that are in the wc facilities ?

You say no one would use them  (the taps there) to refill their bottles.

Well I have and I am still alive.

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m not really sure how environmentally friendly or saving of resources a refillable water bottle is. Much more material and resources to make. Having to wash & sterilise. Emptying out before going through security before filling again airside?

How many times is the average one used for before being lost, put to one side or consigned to the cupboard of things bought with good intentions and used once.

Wouldn't a campaign for multiple chilled water drinking fountains in public buildings, and on the streets and promenades actually be better.

I've travelled with mine for years, copper bottle and fill up airside.  Costa IOM will fill it for you without buying a coffee.

1 minute ago, cissolt said:

I've travelled with mine for years, copper bottle and fill up airside.  Costa IOM will fill it for you without buying a coffee.

I used average, deliberately. All I’m pointing out is that with decent infrastructure, like the Victorians had dotted around, you don’t even need a refillable.