Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, Weliveinhope said:

Away this weekend, and to use the airport parking is £19 but to use Athol with a car wash its £18. Bonkers.

Ah, but do you get Jeff Robinson to personally wash your car for the extra quid...?

5 hours ago, Weliveinhope said:

yet again we're made to bend over with all these stealth taxes for years and years of reckless decision making, its really quite disgusting.

The airport is probably challenging the DOI for the title of the worst run government edifice, staffed by clones spouting management bullshit with no commercial experience at all !

• Like 5

1 hour ago, asitis said:

The airport is probably challenging the DOI for the title of the worst run government edifice, staffed by clones spouting management bullshit with no commercial experience at all !

Unfortunately Gatwick style thinking will backfire, I’ll. bet there’s much more in the operations manual the new number one has packed in his luggage!

I believe Gatwick gave him a glowing reference. Didn’t want him back!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

They clearly haven't thought about what effect that the reduced free time will have on the cafe and shop upstairs.

You’re right but it’s the worlds emptiest cafe already. I believe they’re trying to move it airside as nobody is using it. 

27 minutes ago, BriT said:

You’re right but it’s the worlds emptiest cafe already. I believe they’re trying to move it airside as nobody is using it. 

If they weren't so expensive and the place was made more inviting then they might get more customers.

And it's only going to get worse as they're going to get a hammering when it's corporatized and the rents shoot up to "commercial" rates.

We simply don't have the volume of traffic for corporatizing either the air or land side of the the operations and the money they have just spent on hiring a development director and others' is going to be wasted, gone, never to be seen again in any form.

You really don't need to be an expert or a genius to see that it's not going to work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

If they weren't so expensive and the place was made more inviting then they might get more customers.

And it's only going to get worse as they're going to get a hammering when it's corporatized and the rents shoot up to "commercial" rates.

We simply don't have the volume of traffic for corporatizing either the air or land side of the the operations and the money they have just spent on hiring a development director and others' is going to be wasted, gone, never to be seen again in any form.

You really don't need to be an expert or a genius to see that it's not going to work.

But you can’t expect taxpayers to subsidise commercial operations to make prices cheaper, it makes sense to move it airside as the space for Costa is far too small & there’s always queues. We don’t need a landside cafe, just a drinks machine will suffice for the few who wish to use it. Even in Liverpool the landside cafe’s are rarely busy.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

No you don’t the whole thing is doomed. I’m really struggling to see how charging someone the £3 they would have spent on a coffee to park their car for over 15 mins instead is going to make the economics of the cafe or the wider airport any better at all. It’s just a “wishful thinking” business model. Like every other government service they simply decide how much money they need to run their lazy, slack arsed, grossly over bloated management structure and that means that everyone then has to pay X which clearly they won’t do as X bears absolutely no relationship to reality at all. Especially in a recession. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

But you can’t expect taxpayers to subsidise commercial operations to make prices cheaper, it makes sense to move it airside as the space for Costa is far too small & there’s always queues. We don’t need a landside cafe, just a drinks machine will suffice for the few who wish to use it. Even in Liverpool the landside cafe’s are rarely busy.

It's not a commercial operation as such, Banker. It's a lifeline transport hub that residents and visitors should be able to rely on in reasonably comfortable surroundings.

I have no issue with my tax money being used to support the operation and infrastructure PROVIDING it is managed properly. Right now that's not happening. Corporatization is not the answer.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's not a commercial operation as such, Banker. It's a lifeline transport hub that residents and visitors should be able to rely on in reasonably comfortable surroundings.

This.

It should be run as cheaply as possible. In other words as close to not for profit as they can get it.

That should be their mission statement.

Instead they seem to be dicking around trying to leverage as much as they can out of Joe Public when they need to use the service. Which, lets face it, is pretty much all of us. Especially when you take patient transfer into account.

They need to explain why?

Should be good for a laugh...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I have no issue with my tax money being used to support the operation and infrastructure PROVIDING it is managed properly. Right now that's not happening. Corporatization is not the answer.

The cafe, Costa etc are commercial operations as you were mentioning the cafes & it’s these that should not be subsidized . Why would you subsidize Costa?