Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

This.

It should be run as cheaply as possible. In other words as close to not for profit as they can get it.

That should be their mission statement.

Instead they seem to be dicking around trying to leverage as much as they can out of Joe Public when they need to use the service. Which, lets face it, is pretty much all of us. Especially when you take patient transfer into account.

They need to explain why?

Should be good for a laugh...

Do you mean not for profit?  "Not for profit" doesn't mean that organisations don't make a margin but that the surpluses are not distributed to their owners.  Many organisations who are "NFP" actually do make a profit on their activities but they retain it to invest in their services and capital items like buildings etc. 

Can the airport, as part of a government department, retain any surpluses or is this paid over to Treasury?

Perhaps that is what corporatization would facilitate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

The cafe, Costa etc are commercial operations as you were mentioning the cafes & it’s these that should not be subsidized . Why would you subsidize Costa?

Hopefully we're not subsidizing Costa, they should pay the full whack for rent.

I'd probably agree that we don't need an all-singing-all-dancing landside cafe with the size that it is now. A couple of small kiosks offering a different range of drink & food/snacks would probably work.

But I do think that capital expenditure on extending the departure lounge area would be a good move. Could also introduce another drink/food operator to ensure there is at least some competition.

The important thing is, IMHO, we don't need development managers or their ilk to sort out this kind of basic stuff. It's a complete waste of money. All that is required is common sense. Nothing more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Hopefully we're not subsidizing Costa, they should pay the full whack for rent.

I'd probably agree that we don't need an all-singing-all-dancing landside cafe with the size that it is now. A couple of small kiosks offering a different range of drink & food/snacks would probably work.

But I do think that capital expenditure on extending the departure lounge area would be a good move. Could also introduce another drink/food operator to ensure there is at least some competition.

The important thing is, IMHO, we don't need development managers or their ilk to sort out this kind of basic stuff. It's a complete waste of money. All that is required is common sense. Nothing more.

Someone once told me that Costa don't pay more than £20k/Yr for any of its outlets apart from the sea terminal which is £65k. Sea Terminal outlet turns over circa £1.3m/Yr.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do you mean not for profit?  "Not for profit" doesn't mean that organisations don't make a margin but that the surpluses are not distributed to their owners.  Many organisations who are "NFP" actually do make a profit on their activities but they retain it to invest in their services and capital items like buildings etc. 

Can the airport, as part of a government department, retain any surpluses or is this paid over to Treasury?

Perhaps that is what corporatization would facilitate.

It won't Gladys.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Someone once told me that Costa don't pay more than £20k/Yr for any of its outlets apart from the sea terminal which is £65k. Sea Terminal outlet turns over circa £1.3m/Yr.

Airport Costa is run by the same company which runs the bar, which is based across. It’s separate to the other Costas run by the wanker.

16 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

another vehicle auction

No, it’s still about the same case I think but she took a picture of a car that has multiple tickets on it in the long stay car park. So it may well get broken into and auctioned off soon. 

• Like 1

Management are far too busy formulating development plans to actually run the place. Can we please bullet the dreamers, and employ a manager to walk around the place to identify and solve issues, and hold people to account. If you are sitting in your office with butterflies flying around your head and dreaming AGAIN ! of Heathrow on Sea, then the reality is what we need now will go to hell !!!! I believe it was John Lennon who said 'Life is what happens whilst you are making plans'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Flew to Dublin for weekend. AerLingus Regional.

Ambulift not available. 

Two different stories. Either it’s not currently available on any plane as lease ended ( Menzies Ground Staff ) and there is a dispute about who pays, Menzies or DoI, or it doesn’t fit the Aer Lingus Regional planes ( check in staff ).

At Dublin there was no ambulift either. The three they have don’t fit Aer Lingus Regional planes.

Such is life.

Theres been no feedback about lack of ambulift on the Patient Transfers Feedback FB page i help run.

I was offered the ramp or the steps. 5 steps up is easier than the long ramp with two turns. 5 steps down is on my bum, one step at at time.

• Sad 2

Been away. Spoke to family member who is in management at airport.

They’ve given in notice. Moving to elsewhere.

Says bullying at airport is dreadful.

Says 4 other departmental managers have handed in notice.

Says only 9 out of establishment figure of 16 ATC are in post and 3 of the 9 have given notice. If true the airport can’t operate with only 6.

Cobb is known by the entire staff as Conn.

Edited by Kipper99

Why is bullying such an issue in government?  Is it because they have an employment monopoly, ie there is only only one place here that ATCs, nurses, doctors, teachers, etc  can work?

Is it a poor HR support systems, poor management training, or no accountability?  Do they do exit interviews and, if so, are they effective and are the reasons for leaving collated and analysed to indicate patterns?   

Didn't Alf promise a change when the Ranson matter hit the fan? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Two different stories. Either it’s not currently available on any plane as lease ended ( Menzies Ground Staff ) and there is a dispute about who pays, Menzies or DoI, or it doesn’t fit the Aer Lingus Regional planes ( check in staff ).

At Dublin there was no ambulift either. The three they have don’t fit Aer Lingus Regional planes.

That sounds a bit fishy, as the Aer Lingus Regional planes are the same type as the ones that Loganair currently use, and several of them are exactly the same aircraft that Stobart used to fly here, including when they did Liverpool, Manchester etc. on behalf of FlyBe.

Edited by Nellie