Airport.

Billy kettlefish

22 minutes ago, snowman said:

Alot cheaper to go via Dublin or London even with an overnight stay and get better flight times.

If that £600 includes hold luggage then I’m not so sure. It’s reliably costing £100 each way off the Island now with bags, whether that’s on EasyJet or Loganair. Similar for European legs.

I’m off to Europe next month with bags and it’s costing me pretty much £400 on the nose, and then another £80 for a Travelodge in London overnight on the way out. Add in travel to the hotel, add in food and drink overnight, and yeah, you might save £50 by not flying direct. I’d pay £50 to avoid passport control at Manchester or Gatwick to be quite honest.

• Like 1

I arrived yesterday on mid afternoon flight from Heathrow which was about 90% full.

I waited 30mins for a single Taxi to turn up together with about 20 other people, some of which weren't locals and here on holiday or business.   

After 15 mins, I went inside to ask (semi jokingly) if the Govt had banned Taxi's from the airport.  Which was met with a shrug and 'there should be some turning up soon'.  15 mins later still none, so when the bus came, I got on that instead. 

To be honest it was probably a good thing I was on the bus, as I would have got thrown out of a taxi, as by that point I'd had a complete sense of humour failure and my disdain of taxi drivers would have been quite obvious.

Welcome to the Isle of Man (if you can get anywhere from the Airport)!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I arrived yesterday on mid afternoon flight from Heathrow which was about 90% full.

I waited 30mins for a single Taxi to turn up together with about 20 other people, some of which weren't locals and here on holiday or business.   

After 15 mins, I went inside to ask (semi jokingly) if the Govt had banned Taxi's from the airport.  Which was met with a shrug and 'there should be some turning up soon'.  15 mins later still none, so when the bus came, I got on that instead. 

To be honest it was probably a good thing I was on the bus, as I would have got thrown out of a taxi, as by that point I'd had a complete sense of humour failure and my disdain of taxi drivers would have been quite obvious.

As has been mentioned many times , book a taxi in advance as many waiting there will have been pre booked.

44 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

After 15 mins, I went inside to ask (semi jokingly) if the Govt had banned Taxi's from the airport. 

There's a question for Moorhouse.

Glover could ask if they have ever been banned and Mr Speaker could ask if a ban was planned.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Tenerife direct is £600 return per adult

Isle of Man to Tenerife: Depart 13.25 | Arrive 18.15 - QS QS3009

Tenerife to Isle of Man: Depart 08.10 | Arrive 12.35 - QS QS3008

Alot cheaper to go via Dublin or London even with an overnight stay and get better flight times.

That’s at Xmas which seems reasonable, go in January it’s £500 each . Also no stress that outward/inward leg to IOM cancelled.

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s at Xmas which seems reasonable, go in January it’s £500 each . Also no stress that outward/inward leg to IOM cancelled.

I don't think that's too unreasonable, I wouldn't pay it. I'd still sooner pay half the price going via Manchester.

I'm still not convinced that the 737 can fly direct to Tenerife from here without either 1) a major payload restriction or 2) A fuel stop en-route on the outbound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

I don't think that's too unreasonable, I wouldn't pay it. I'd still sooner pay half the price going via Manchester.

I'm still not convinced that the 737 can fly direct to Tenerife from here without either 1) a major payload restriction or 2) A fuel stop en-route on the outbound.

Well the flying times shown indicates direct non stop so assume airline would know weight requirements etc

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

many packed in during covid and never came back. governemtn did the rest. 

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I went straight for the jugular....the recommendation & conclusion.

Including the classic sentence:

“If we imagine an Isle of Man suddenly without an airport today, it is obvious to see the inherent economic and social value it represents, although some of this will be intangible and impossible to quantify”

So if we can all imagine the island with no airport our aspiration is to make the island a better place than if it didn’t have an airport!