Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

How do we pay for this?

£5.00 airport use charge on every ticket. 

The airport already gets £40 per adult passenger, which is much higher than many airports across. You just pay it in your ticket price.

Here’s what I paid for two adults and a child on Loganair last month. Of the £151.78 I paid, Loganair’s receipt shows that £106 of it went to the airport via the departure fee and the APD.

11AF6BF9-617C-4728-801F-A7816A26DA9B.jpeg

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The airport already gets £40 per adult passenger, which is much higher than many airports across. You just pay it in your ticket price.

Here’s what I paid for two adults and a child on Loganair last month. Of the £151.78 I paid, Loganair’s receipt shows that £106 of it went to the airport via the departure fee and the APD.

That’s a bloody joke. And what in the name of man exactly is a fuel surcharge? Either we pay for fuel or we don’t.

9 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

One has to ask the question.... where the feck has all this tax gone? 

If I recall the airport accounts were in a mess a while back.... were they ever sorted and a proper set of accounts drawn up?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few years ago, long queues appeared out of nowhere at the airport. Ann Reynolds went into a Tynwald meeting and said she had no idea what the problem was.

That statement alone raised my eyebrows - I am not aware of any other politician or manager-type admitting that they do not know what is going on inside their organisation.

Nevertheless, the response from Tynwald was just - "crack on, luv". She  said she wanted £330,000 to fix the unknown problem. Tynwald gave her £670,000. Some of that money went on buying 6 boarding card scanners (compared to only 4 at Liverpool) only one of which is in use, and that is also surplus to requirements.

I went through departures twice in that time. The reason for the delays was because the baggage checkers had been instructed to carry out checks that I have not seen at any other airport. When Reynolds said she had no idea what the problem was, she was either lying or is thick as two short planks. (If she wishes to sue me for libel, she is going to have to come up with an alternative reason  - and hopefully the CCTV from the baggage check area is still undeleted).

And this is the kind of organisation that the MHKs want to arms-length. Once it is arms-lengthened the situation will be as for Manx Care - never-ending demands for more money. There will be no control over what is being done - c.f. the created baggage check problems.

Probably MHKs are in awe of being involved in Stepped Transition Processes and such, believing that makes them real business-persons.

But I, when seeing a document with some farcically manipulated alliterative title, am inclined to view the entire contents with suspicion. It was probably done because it would appeal to the minds of MHKs.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

One has to ask the question.... where the feck has all this tax gone?

That’s a fair question. It’s £60 to park at the airport for a week and £40 per adult to leave the airport and I genuinely have no idea what they spend all that money on.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

That’s a fair question. It’s £60 to park at the airport for a week and £40 per adult to leave the airport and I genuinely have no idea what they spend all that money on.

There’s going to be less income from the car parks with proposed increase in fees. 
People will find alternatives. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, forestboy said:

There’s going to be less income from the car parks with proposed increase in fees. 

Absolutely. I used Mylchreests for the first time when I went away a couple of weeks ago because of the fuss with the price rises. About as the same price as the (old price) long stay car park, and they managed to hoover up all the child’s crisp crumbs too.

And they say the DOI never do anything to promote local business!

ETA: I see they’re not going ahead with the price rise just yet: https://gef.im/2023/04/25/airport-parking-changes-delayed/

Edited by Ringy Rose

35 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

"Heathrow passenger charges increasing January 1, 2022

Pre-pandemic, London Heathrow Airport (LHR) had a passenger charge of up to £22 per person, which contributes towards operating terminals, runways, baggage systems, and security."

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Desperate for money now apparently - they tried to resort to a fire damage insurance claim today I hear. 😄

thats where plod was going at a rate of knots ealier today then , looked like they'd called all cars.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

1. security. It’s essential we get one of the advanced scanners so there’s no more 100ml limit, plastic bags, remove and same for pda/phones/laptops. That should smooth flow.

3. Sort out the RinGo system. Get rid. Do something simple and successful that doesn’t have a non responsive off Island operator taking a cut.

The new parking system is fine. It works.

100ml limit and the need for bag searches is not a big deal. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The new parking system is fine. It works.

100ml limit and the need for bag searches is not a big deal. 

I’ve been through the airport several times over recent months, always got there in reasonable time, no issues at all with security.  Lack of food items at Costa however is a other subject completely...

2 hours ago, forestboy said:

People will find alternatives. 

I wonder how much revenue is generated from the airport tax and where its spent?

ChrisT mentioned today that the parking system is generating revenue of 40+k per month.  I wonder how much of that goes to Ringo?

• Like 1