Airport.

Billy kettlefish

this is what happens when civil servants are allowed to   off load  their responsibilities   to an outside agency   and then sit on their arses    with no  worries  as it has become someone else's     problem , it must be costing the taxpayer a fortune , get the ANPR and let people pay on departure , or buy 3 or 6 months in advance at the information desk  if they want long term parking  , simple ! next question for Moorehouse how much are Ringo creaming off ! 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The airport already gets £40 per adult passenger, which is much higher than many airports across. You just pay it in your ticket price.

Here’s what I paid for two adults and a child on Loganair last month. Of the £151.78 I paid, Loganair’s receipt shows that £106 of it went to the airport via the departure fee and the APD.

11AF6BF9-617C-4728-801F-A7816A26DA9B.jpeg

30-odd years ago, Terry Liddiard (with his Manx Airlines hat on) stated that landing and associated fees at Ronaldsway were "inordinately high" and higher than Heathrow, I well remember him saying it as part of his defence of the costs of flights at the time. I can't recall anybody else publicly mentioning it since.

So they've been creaming it in since at least then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

30-odd years ago, Terry Liddiard (with his Manx Airlines hat on) stated that landing and associated fees at Ronaldsway were "inordinately high" and higher than Heathrow, I well remember him saying it as part of his defence of the costs of flights at the time. I can't recall anybody else publicly mentioning it since.

So they've been creaming it in since at least then.

I have a feeling that airlines, particularly the lo cost operators rather dictate the level of fees they pay, and they are inordinately low ! The justification being with the lo cost stuff, that they increase passenger footfall and therefore increase sales through retail and catering in the terminals. Of course in our case, due to the nature of Ronaldsway and its location those benefits are largely unachievable !. This was one of the downsides pointed out to that intellectual colossus the then Chief Minister and ignored. We are different to Liverpool , Manchester etc etc. I hope someone in charge grasps this, this arms length proposal does not bode well !

10 hours ago, genericUserName said:

The new parking system is fine. It works.

100ml limit and the need for bag searches is not a big deal. 

It seems universally disliked, and the number of cars parked is down substantially. 

It will be when passengers are travelling into the IoM from airports with the new scanners. Security is already a bottleneck. 

58 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It seems universally disliked, and the number of cars parked is down substantially. 

It will be when passengers are travelling into the IoM from airports with the new scanners. Security is already a bottleneck. 

I genuinely don’t understand the complaints about RingGo. Car parks in the UK are moving away from barriers and ticket machines, both in the public and private sector, and where ticket machines still exist they increasingly don’t accept cash. People can buy an EasyJet flight on their phone and check in for said flight on their phone, but paying for car parking is beyond them. Hmm.

As for security, the longest I’ve ever waited was about 25 minutes last summer, on a Friday teatime when three EasyJet and an Aer Lingus flight all went within half an hour. 

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

More like 60% I should think.

I highly doubt it. Leeds City Council said RingGo get a 15p transaction fee from their car parks. Now as we have fewer transactions of higher value I’d imagine our fees are percentage-based, but I’d be surprised if it’s more than 10-15%.

The old system cost money too- maintenance (for what it was), emptying the machines, banking the cash.

13 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I genuinely don’t understand the complaints about RingGo. Car parks in the UK are moving away from barriers and ticket machines, both in the public and private sector, and where ticket machines still exist they increasingly don’t accept cash. People can buy an EasyJet flight on their phone and check in for said flight on their phone, but paying for car parking is beyond them. Hmm.

As for security, the longest I’ve ever waited was about 25 minutes last summer, on a Friday teatime when three EasyJet and an Aer Lingus flight all went within half an hour. 

I’m not suggesting they have barriers. Just a number plate capture system on entry and exit and card/Apple Pay  payment machines. No tickets

Ringo is a clunky terrible system. And if you’re right, and parking returns to pre covid levels, they’re getting £100,000 a year, and thats before the proposed increases.

Fully agree that cash isn’t preferred option due to handling. Maintenance of payment machine(s) with no moving parts won’t be much.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m not suggesting they have barriers. Just a number plate capture system on entry and exit and card/Apple Pay  payment machines. No tickets

Ringo is a clunky terrible system. And if you’re right, and parking returns to pre covid levels, they’re getting £100,000 a year, and thats before the proposed increases.

Fully agree that cash isn’t preferred option due to handling. Maintenance of payment machine(s) with no moving parts won’t be much.

John your suggestion is much too simple for the DOI , they take great pleasure in over complicating  everything these days ANPR with touch and go payment on exit  does work extremely well ,and if you want to  pre pay for 3 or 6 months on the long stay park  then it could be done at the desk ,  no need for cash handling,  barriers, or anything complicated or requiring  regular maintenance  ,which the DOI are notorious for not doing anyway !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.myringgo.com

I wonder what sort of checks the DOI did before signing them up?

Ah TrustPilot, which seems to be full of people complaining that they didn’t pay their car parking charges and then got fined.

I’ve seen better apps, but it’s not exactly hard to use.

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

John your suggestion is much too simple for the DOI , they take great pleasure in over complicating  everything these days ANPR with touch and go payment on exit  does work extremely well

I’d say ANPR cameras are more complicated tbh. Certainly the ones in Shaw’s Brow never seem to recognise the plates (normal font- from MotorWorld) on my Fiesta, and I’ve had similar across.

And I’ve had issues before with Parking Eye picking up my plate despite me parking in my reserved space next door (my flat’s car park was next to a hotel car park).

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

When I was across at Easter, I used 3 different car parks in different towns. All had barriers, 2 still used tickets, all used tap and pay. No apps needed.

19 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Ah TrustPilot, which seems to be full of people complaining that they didn’t pay their car parking charges and then got fined.

94% of nearly 900 individual users rated the RingGo experience as only 1*. As trustpilot is a respected online source I’d have expected the DOI to have assessed this feedback as part of their decision making process in going with RingGo. It seems to have the lowest possible reputation of all the parking apps. But was, of course, deemed entirely appropriate for the IOM as then they could forget about replacing those broken barriers (that shouldn’t have been installed outdoors in the first place anyway) and all the other past cocks ups they’ve made. 

• Like 1