Airport.

Billy kettlefish

16 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

When I was across at Easter, I used 3 different car parks in different towns. All had barriers, 2 still used tickets, all used tap and pay. No apps needed.

Nearly every NCP I’ve been in is no barriers ANPR now. Bit like the Dart Crossing etc. Log on and pay within 24hrs of exit. Works very well. Or you can link up your reg to their system for auto charging.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As trustpilot is a respected online source

Is it? I’d say it was about as trustworthy as any other online review site, such as TripAdvisor- easily gamed.

As for the complaints, it’s either people who didn’t pay or people moaning about a “convenience fee” that isn’t charged here.

All parking companies have low ratings.

22 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

94% of nearly 900 individual users rated the RingGo experience as only 1*. As trustpilot is a respected online source I’d have expected the DOI to have assessed this feedback as part of their decision making process in going with RingGo. It seems to have the lowest possible reputation of all the parking apps. But was, of course, deemed entirely appropriate for the IOM as then they could forget about replacing those broken barriers (that shouldn’t have been installed outdoors in the first place anyway) and all the other past cocks ups they’ve made. 

Have you read any of the reviews?

Gone through 3 pages and they're all vague, provide very little details of their actual problem, and lots of them are down to user error:

Used ringing go to pay for parking in Chestnut Walk, Stratford upon Avon yesterday. Used it again to pay for parking in Bridge Street today, it confirmed I had paid when using it, arrive back at my car to find a £50 parking ticket - traffic warden said it only registered the first 4 digits of my registration number so as far as he was concerned I hadn’t paid.

User doesn't register car reg fully. Gets ticket. Complains with 1* - User Error.

Plenty of other examples along the same lines on there.

Apps are standard nowadays.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Ah TrustPilot, which seems to be full of people complaining that they didn’t pay their car parking charges and then got fined.

I’ve seen better apps, but it’s not exactly hard to use.

I’d say ANPR cameras are more complicated tbh. Certainly the ones in Shaw’s Brow never seem to recognise the plates (normal font- from MotorWorld) on my Fiesta, and I’ve had similar across.

And I’ve had issues before with Parking Eye picking up my plate despite me parking in my reserved space next door (my flat’s car park was next to a hotel car park).

I'm convinced the Shaw's Brow Car Park is actually manned by someone in a portacabin in deepest, darkest Lincolnshire or more likely in a closet in DBC town hall!

On a couple occasions the barrier was raised way before I got anywhere near for the ANPR scanner to read my number plate on exiting. 

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

On a couple occasions the barrier was raised way before I got anywhere near for the ANPR scanner to read my number plate on exiting. 

In some foreign place I lost my car in a multi-story car park. It took so long for me to find the car that by the time I arrived at the barrier, the ticket had timed out. So I caused much confusion by having to reverse back from the barrier.

I updated the ticket, went back to my car near the barrier, and as I started the engine the barrier magically rose up without me having to present the ticket.

ANPR - Automatic Normal Pensioner Recognition.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

User doesn't register car reg fully. Gets ticket. Complains with 1* - User Error.

Precisely. 

Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

I’m happy to criticise many things about the airport but with RingGo I really don’t see why people are whining. And here there’s the added bonus that if you really can’t use the app you can pay in the terminal building.

The Apple version of the app is better than the Android version, but both are perfectly straightforward to use. The initial registration is clunky, I’d agree, but you only do it once.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm convinced the Shaw's Brow Car Park is actually manned by someone in a portacabin in deepest, darkest Lincolnshire or more likely in a closet in DBC town hall!

I’ve never had any trouble with Shaws Brow.

Why couldn’t that have been replicated at the airport?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Precisely. 

Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

I’m happy to criticise many things about the airport but with RingGo I really don’t see why people are whining. And here there’s the added bonus that if you really can’t use the app you can pay in the terminal building.

The Apple version of the app is better than the Android version, but both are perfectly straightforward to use. The initial registration is clunky, I’d agree, but you only do it once.

Exactly, folk who only use the airport once or twice a year often find the current system difficult.

The same folk didn't find the old system difficult.

So, why change a system that is simple to use for everyone, for a system that not everyone can use, that not everyone trusts and that sends the profits off island?

Typical arrogant, thoughtless, illogical keep up with Jones, modern, trendy attitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Exactly, folk who only use the airport once or twice a year often find the current system difficult.

The same folk didn't find the old system difficult.

So, why change a system that is simple to use for everyone, for a system that not everyone can use, that not everyone trusts and that sends the profits off island?

This is what the people who are saying "I've never a problem and I use it all the time" are missing the point.  A good system should be usable for everyone, not just people who are familiar with it - they're going to be able to operate anything, no matter how useless, after a while.  This particularly applies to a situation like an airport where most users will be casual users who only use it a few times a year if that and may well be using it in a hurry or under stress.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2