Airport.

Billy kettlefish

6 hours ago, Cypman said:

Historically, many ex-military ATCOs have retrained as Civil ATCOs and have had very successful second careers.  I wouldn’t know if the current ATS Manager has gone down this road or not.

We all assumed that he had, as many do, but it now appears he didn't.  They're different work environments and experiences and I believe at one time military ATCOs had to retrain from scratch.  There are now conversion courses but civilian ATCOs have to retrain even when moving to a new airport (that's part of Ronaldsway current problem) so conversion must take quite a while.  And he doesn't seem to have worked as an ATCO for 18 months before he came here.

8 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

In consideration of the fact that having a licence issued by the CAA with appropriate ratings was deemed an essential requirement, one must really ask why he was asked to interview, let alone appointed.

It seems that his lack of qualification has been reflected in the job title he now carries, Air Traffic Services Manager, rather than SATCO.

It may be that when it was advertised no one suitable applied.  Bu then you'd think appointing someone internally would have been a better option - even if only as a stopgap for a few years.  It looks more like appointing the 'right' person rather than the right person for the job. 

Even as a purely managerial position, there's not really the most relevant experience there - running military ATC (he'd been a Deputy) must involve some very different working practices, environment, regulations and so on.  I would also imagine ATC would be somewhere where not really knowing the job would cause tension with those you were in charge of.

• Like 3

I hate to say it but a lot of the airport’s problems appear to have begun with the appointment of its new director?

I have mentioned on here before that many in the industry have questioned his competence in previous positions. Too much of a coincidence I feel?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

OK - but one swallow does not a summer make...

How much has Aurigny lost over the years?

A lot. But now they have streamlined the operation and have a fleet of economical aircraft, so I doubt there will be much of a return to the bad old days.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It may be that when it was advertised no one suitable applied.  Bu then you'd think appointing someone internally would have been a better option - even if only as a stopgap for a few years.  It looks more like appointing the 'right' person rather than the right person for the job. 

Even as a purely managerial position, there's not really the most relevant experience there - running military ATC (he'd been a Deputy) must involve some very different working practices, environment, regulations and so on.  I would also imagine ATC would be somewhere where not really knowing the job would cause tension with those you were in charge of.

Agree 100%

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

A lot. But now they have streamlined the operation and have a fleet of economical aircraft, so I doubt there will be much of a return to the bad old days.

Including the cumulative losses, the re-capitalisation and aircraft replacement, over 20 years it has cost more than the new Liverpool Ferry Terminal

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Not sure how bouyant or otherwise the airline leasing or sales market is but it seems to me that they need to get rid of the Embraer and buy two ATRs as replacements. 

It’s a position totally filled by Reynolds and to her requirements. Clearly HR had little to do with it and minister at the time probably didn’t know anything about it. Then there’s Spake . Enough said about flawed recruitment at the airport. How hard can it be to appoint people that are actually capable and do the job that they are overseeing. These decisions have and are costing people of the Isle of Man multiple thousands or more in stop overs and re routing and Chris Thomas has the affront to try and infer that the public are part responsible for issues. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1