Airport.

Billy kettlefish

I mean, per this quote

"We are talking about a 72-seater plane, so if we get 50 people on each of the planes, it will be at no cost to the Manx taxpayer"

It's gonna be a win-win for Loganair. They know from prior experience that loads on London City would very rarely fill a 50 seat aircraft, or even a 32 seat aircraft. Good way to get their new props to pay for themselves at taxpayers expense. Very good business indeed.

I wonder if this was tendered properly or will there be a new storm coming from other carriers over underwrite decisions?

Edited by NoTailT

22 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Typical. Pressure from CoC leads to Gov throwing money at subsidising the private sector.

Airport has spent many millions to lengthen/widen the runway, strengthen the apron etc for essentially one operator, is that any different?.

Presumably the ATR is still allowed into LHR.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Airport has spent many millions to lengthen/widen the runway, strengthen the apron etc for essentially one operator, is that any different?.

Presumably the ATR is still allowed into LHR.

It is still allowed, for now. They used to penalise heavily financially rather than prohibit as it messes with strict spacing.

Also one must assume the slots are on loan from someone like BA again. Who knows how long that'll last for.

Edited by NoTailT

39 minutes ago, Banker said:

So we’re all subsidizing London flights to help out businesses like the poor egaming companies, we’re just not allowed to know how much!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-60711834

It's underwriting rather than subsidising - so we won't know how much money we have to cough up till afterwards.  But it only appears to apply till October, so they will have to build up business enough by then to make the route viable.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's underwriting rather than subsidising - so we won't know how much money we have to cough up till afterwards.  But it only appears to apply till October, so they will have to build up business enough by then to make the route viable.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were coughing up upto £4mln in underwriting.

Passed through Heathrow on Sea again this morning. Security took less than five minutes and everyone was friendly and smiling. If there’s nobody in charge right now you sure can’t tell as a passenger. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Passed through Heathrow on Sea again this morning. Security took less than five minutes and everyone was friendly and smiling. If there’s nobody in charge right now you sure can’t tell as a passenger. 

Perhaps it is because they are no longer there.

Your experience is how it should be, it says a lot that such an experience merits a comment.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The routes will never work with multiple operators subsidy free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:23 PM, offshoremanxman said:

I bet nobody ever thought they’d be re-living the 1970s again. I might go and buy a pair of flares. I wonder when the penny will drop that by trying to attack Russia with sanctions and virtue signalling dis-investments what they’re actually doing is vicariously destroying their own economies and the economic lives of their own citizens at the same time. Time to get the jets in the air and take him on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

So the cheque is blank rather than pre-written?

Pretty much so, though it may be that, as with cheques, a maximum value can be set (though maybe it hasn't been).  The information seems to come from evidence Allinson and Mark Lewin (the CEO of DfE) gave to the Economic Policy Review Committee on Friday:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/listen/AgainFiles/eprc220311a.mp3

(I haven't gone through it yet, so I can't say what the details were). Given that it's only six months it has a bit of an air of a compromise about it - and launching two London routes at the same time seems ambitious.