Airport.

Billy kettlefish

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Emerald have only been operating one route, Dublin to Donegal, for two weeks. They open up other routes, from Dublin, including IoM on 17 March. That roll out is fairly slow, another route every few week until late May. They have an Irish AOL but not a UK AOL, so they can’t operate IoM to UK at present. No point phoning them as they couldn’t fulfil the brief.

Both Logan and Eastern were on Island, meetings with DoI and at airport, in February. No doubt both discussed their price for reintroduction of London routes.

Its not just the subsidy/guarantee/underwriting that’s relevant, however. It’s other economic benefits, such as another plane, and set of crews based here, consolidating the Logan base and providing long term, hopefully, employment. Logan always had the edge with that, they’ve also got the resources to move on island based planes and crew in case of tech problems..

One thing I know for certain is that Jez was sacked once from Eastern and he's been incredibly obstructive to them conducting any flying on the Island for some time now.

It was always destined to be money for Loganair.

From speaking to Conor at Emerald, they were keen to expand IOM flying ops too and had scope to do so under the BA umbrella as a franchise op (much like the Aer Lingus flying is), but this was killed by Jez.

15 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

One thing I know for certain is that Jez was sacked once from Eastern and he's been incredibly obstructive to them conducting any flying on the Island for some time now.

It was always destined to be money for Loganair.

From speaking to Conor at Emerald, they were keen to expand IOM flying ops too and had scope to do so under the BA umbrella as a franchise op (much like the Aer Lingus flying is), but this was killed by Jez.

But until Emerald gets it’s UK AOL that isn’t feasible. They have applied.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Also: I appreciate the demographic is different, but how is Jersey sustaining 4x BA flights per day on most days with additional easyJet flights?

Jersey have a higher population who I think appear to want to travel more regularly. Perhaps they have people living there who are more positive and want to talk their island up unlike some of the Isle of Man residents who want to moan all the time!

These new flights can only be viewed as good news more people on island, more business and that's good for the Isle of Man economy. I have nothing to do with nor ever have an airline, airport or government I am just someone who is fighting for the good of the island. So may times over the last 18 months people have said I was talking rubbish and had no idea but I kept at it. I have also tried to be balanced and recognise different peoples need rather than those of my own. I just don't get why other people cannot look at things in the same way and positively. 

The best thing people can do now is stop complaining and get out there and promote the island and its travel connections. If that happens and people use the new London routes there is no cost at all to the Manx taxpayer only upside! Enjoy! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Looking forward to seeing the cost of the new routes when they go live this week. Not going to be £19.99 I can bet.

Given APD is £13, I doubt it!

I'd estimate fares starting £70 there or there abouts.

Personally looking forward to being able to earn more Avios by booking via BA.

Just now, NoTailT said:

Given APD is £13, I doubt it!

I'd estimate fares starting £70 there or there abouts.

Personally looking forward to being able to earn more Avios by booking via BA.

Not being able to redeem Avios is unfortunate to say the least 

Just now, snowman said:

Not being able to redeem Avios is unfortunate to say the least 

It's okay. Mrs NoTailT will appreciate me racking up the Avios for a few nights in Soho so I can take her to Tahiti (or maybe Moscow) for less money down the line.

23 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

It's okay. Mrs NoTailT will appreciate me racking up the Avios for a few nights in Soho so I can take her to Tahiti (or maybe Moscow) for less money down the line.

If you wait long enough, Moscow may be coming to you...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Also: I appreciate the demographic is different, but how is Jersey sustaining 4x BA flights per day on most days with additional easyJet flights?

The region with which CI has its natural connection, catchment area and hinterland, is the south coast, south east. Ours is Northwest.

How many ferry routes do we have to Portsmouth? Or the CI to Liverpool? 

How many flights a day do the CI have to Liverpool or Manchester?

• Like 2

Perhaps I am alone in thinking it folly that we are using taxpayers money to subsidise/underwrite a London route ( I appreciate to differing airports, but London nevertheless ) when we  (the taxpayers) are competing with a lo- cost airline hoovering up a lot of casual London traffic. It seems nonsensical to me to allow Easy to fly the London Route when we are subsidising others who (destination accepted) are in direct competition for bums on seats.

To me this is where open skies is a nonsense, clearly traffic volume can't support two operators to the same area, if it could there would be no need for underwriting . Maybe I just have more respect for taxpayers cash !

• Like 4

14 hours ago, snowman said:

No doubt Loganair will be slot sitting at Heathrow so they might be getting a bung from an operator there in order that they don't lose the slots

My recollection is that when Manx Airlines was sold, the IOM-Heathrow route disappeared rather quickly - because, as people who knew about this stuff pointed out, the Heathrow slots are worth an awful lot of money and using the slot for an IoM route was not financially sensible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1