Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Watched a road mending gang today patching potholes. there was a medium sized truck with a hydraulic grab, a trailed compressor and two operatives, (that I could see). The numerous potholes had only been filled a couple of months ago but only lasted a few weeks.

One guy was trying to dig the pothole with the grab while his mate watched. The grab was bigger than the hole and was a loading grab not a digger bucket. The job could have been done quicker and easier with either a pick or a pneumatic drill and a shovel.

So was this lack of skill, lack of training, wrong equipment, laziness, wrong training, inadequate leadership, lack of supervision, lack of inspection procedures, what. What is wrong with the system or methodology?

I know a guy working for one of the pot holing  gang. A lazier twat you couldn't find. £ 23 k a year , plus overtime and call out etc for doing F*** all . No supervision . List of jobs and away they go.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Watched a road mending gang today patching potholes. there was a medium sized truck with a hydraulic grab, a trailed compressor and two operatives, (that I could see). The numerous potholes had only been filled a couple of months ago but only lasted a few weeks.

One guy was trying to dig the pothole with the grab while his mate watched. The grab was bigger than the hole and was a loading grab not a digger bucket. The job could have been done quicker and easier with either a pick or a pneumatic drill and a shovel.

So was this lack of skill, lack of training, wrong equipment, laziness, wrong training, inadequate leadership, lack of supervision, lack of inspection procedures, what. What is wrong with the system or methodology?

Was it Rod Stewart?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I think maybe you should get a life rather than watching workmen repairing holes in the road.

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think maybe you should get a life rather than watching workmen repairing holes in the road.

What about the drama and symbolism of it all? The furnace, the steaming tar, the great roller crushing everything in its thunderous path, the husky grunts of hefty, sweating men toiling day after day in all weathers. The dignity of labour.

An'that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

90 mind from Belfast on the train I think? I’d have it as an Either/or. Dublin makes more sense in many respects as you save on APD

Flights direct to DUB start again on Thursday this week. 

Belfast International ( Aldergrove ) is a lot of faff, having to get into Belfast City Centre. I preferred  Harbour/City

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Do you enjoy being awkward and sarcastic or what? Unless of course you were just joking. I have difficulty differentiating.

I was actually trying to get past with my truck so had plenty of time to view whilst the cars in front waited for traffic coming the other way to clear.

Hope this helps, have a happy, stress free day.

Edited by doc.fixit

18 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Do you enjoy being awkward and sarcastic or what? Unless of course you were just joking. I have difficulty differentiating.

I was actually trying to get past with my truck so had plenty of time to view whilst the cars in front waited for traffic coming the other way to clear.

Hope this helps, have a happy, stress free day.

It just seems to be such an odd thing  (filling in holes) to be making such detailed observations on, to the extent you were suggesting what they were doing wrong and how they could do it better. 
Maybe you have a professional interest in this sort of work?

You have a nice day too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are correct about my interest and part of my observation is that they weren't filling in the holes because they spent so much time trying to dig out one of the potholes with the wrong equipment.. I see, when I went past today that they have started to  attempt to do do the same with the other myriad of holes. A job that I would expect us to do in one day is now well into the second day.

Hey ho and all that, what will be will be. No more comments I'm going for my afternoon nap. lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Why?

Bristol or Gatwick and bus/train.

Too much of an inconvenience for me John. 
Used both Southampton and Bournemouth several times many years ago. Always good passenger loads and far more convenient for New Forest 🌳 area