Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Just saw this on a Facebook page. Pretty shitty email by Loganair. Yet people spend their time hating on easyJet...

'We have been left with no other alternative' is just bs. You could actually just try and operate it at your own risk like any other airline would do when launching a route...

May be an image of text

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Just saw this on a Facebook page. Pretty shitty email by Loganair. Yet people spend their time hating on easyJet...

'We have been left with no other alternative' is just bs. You could actually just try and operate it at your own risk like any other airline would do when launching a route...

May be an image of text

Loganair obviously realise that with the current loading factor the route is not commercially viable. Loganair is not a charity, it's a commercial operation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Loganair obviously realise that with the current loading factor the route is not commercially viable. Loganair is not a charity, it's a commercial operation.

They just had a statement on the radio (3FM News) saying that without Govt support the route wasn't viable and there had also been a lower than anticipated take-up, blamed on a slower than expected Covid bounce-back.

Just now, Non-Believer said:

They just had a statement on the radio (3FM News) saying that without Govt support the route wasn't viable and there had also been a lower than anticipated take-up, blamed on a slower than expected Covid bounce-back.

Sounds like either blaming IOMG who may or not have said no more money, or hoping IOMG come to their senses and Loganair get more taxpayers cash. Personally from experience Loganair are crap, poor customer service - had a flight cancelled due to ‘technical difficulties’ when they had 2 aircraft at Ronaldsway. Flight rearranged for the next day, but still there were issues. They have a take it or leave it attitude, and with being subsidised by taxpayers, they hold all the cards. 

22 minutes ago, Get a life said:

And without being subsidised by taxpayers, they hold all the cards. 

Yes that’s the other side of the coin. We could be like Guernsey, and set up an airline. Though with IOMG track record of operating and setting up, I dread to think at the costs! 

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Because they were awarded it in October last year and it got disputed. Loganair have passed Gov off a LOT over the last number of months.

Now European travel is opening up the UK domestics are cancelling capacity because staycations are calming off. Brian Kelly and ORTG will be lobbying his Gov pals to award it to Aurigny. Eastern will probably be on the pitch too. Even easyJet might decide they fancy a bit of it now, though doubtful.

Why would Brian Kelly and ORTG be pushing for Aurigny? ORTG might have offices in CI as well as IOM but I don't see what the connection is between the two.

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why would Brian Kelly and ORTG be pushing for Aurigny? ORTG might have offices in CI as well as IOM but I don't see what the connection is between the two.

He's been pushing for IOM Gov to buy in to Aurigny for the past 12 months... very friendly. Over friendly. Plus they likely said he could keep handling the reservations ie to his benefit.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Enterprise data, can't remember where it was published. But based on work permits/immigration stuff. Also goes a long way to explain the housing issue right now.

Thanks, I was chatting to an estate agent who said vast majority of house sales are to locals. I'm not sure we've had such a huge influx of new residents. Jersey's population has increased by around 10,000 since 2011 despite their restrictions on property purchase. Not sure we could say the same about our increase.

24 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Thanks, I was chatting to an estate agent who said vast majority of house sales are to locals. I'm not sure we've had such a huge influx of new residents. Jersey's population has increased by around 10,000 since 2011 despite their restrictions on property purchase. Not sure we could say the same about our increase.

Think there's also been some Asian movement. Few hotels on the prom have been or are in process of being sold for Asian gaming companies to house staff, for example.

Not sure I quite believed 1200 either but that was the number being batted about.

3 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Enterprise data, can't remember where it was published. But based on work permits/immigration stuff. Also goes a long way to explain the housing issue right now.

There were some figures in Tynwald a few months back based on registration with GPs and I was surprised that new arrivals hadn't dropped much in 2020 from previous years.  But there's nothing to say that the incomers were workers rather than say retirees and of course you also have to consider people leaving the Island.

Work permits may not be a good idea to base things on in 2020 because Covid entry restrictions meant that all employers were forced to use them.  They couldn't just wing it and hope that someone on a short contract wasn't noticed.  All the paperwork had to line up.

4 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

This is true. But why do Loganair suggest this is somehow due to the IOM Government not requiring air services to/from LHR?

Its lack of demand as you say.

Still grist to the mill for all the Government haters on here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This is true. But why do Loganair suggest this is somehow due to the IOM Government not requiring air services to/from LHR?

Its lack of demand as you say.

Still grist to the mill for all the Government haters on here.

I think it's highly appropriate that Government pull all funding. Given it wasn't tendered for, why should Loganair receive subsidies when easyJet are happy to fly to another London airport at their own commercial risk?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Yes that’s the other side of the coin. We could be like Guernsey, and set up an airline. Though with IOMG track record of operating and setting up, I dread to think at the costs! 

Given the Liverpool new dock shenanigans for the boat. 

If we had an airline we would likely build a £900 million plus new airport in the London area that could only take cargo flights..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boris Johnson said:

Given the Liverpool new dock shenanigans for the boat. 

If we had an airline we would likely build a £900 million plus new airport in the London area that could only take cargo flights..............

And they would be able to fly to anywhere except IOM!

• Haha 2