Airport.

Billy kettlefish

...but that's the problem with 'security' measures. We complain about the inconvenience but when something goes wrong, shoe bombs, twintowers etc, we moan about the lack of security?

I don't know if the Island has to take extreme measures but then, do you?

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

...but that's the problem with 'security' measures. We complain about the inconvenience but when something goes wrong, shoe bombs, twintowers etc, we moan about the lack of security?

I don't know if the Island has to take extreme measures but then, do you?

Well, they took the "exploding sandals" man pretty seriously - either jail time or a suspended sentence.

So, how serious did the authorities take the "threat" ? How long was the airport closed for while the bomb squad defused the sandals?

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I was on the IoM to Gatwick flight yesterday evening (and still no lift for the wheelchairs, it seems). I arrived excessively early and went through security painlessly.

However while I was waiting to board, the lady next to me was having a bit of a rant on her phone, saying that every item in her baggage had been taken out, and that the same procedure was being carried out on the next person also. She commented that "I have never experienced this at any other airport".

Well, I may have said here before that the last time the queues magically appeared out of nowhere I experienced that behaviour twice. And I also have never experienced that behaviour at any other airport, including Tel Aviv.

These queues are being manufactured. It cannot be justified by saying that IoM security is better than elsewhere, because that is saying that security elsewhere is inadequate.

What is the probability that any MHK or the DoI CEO will do anything about this.

They were doing similar random searches last week or at least that’s what they told the person who had all cabin bag checked.

49 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What are they searching for so thoroughly?

In my case, a couple of weeks ago, the “workman’s tools” I was carrying - the very small tool kit, nothing sharp/pointed, nothing more than 10cm, 2 hexagonal Allen keys and a flat pressed spanner I carry, with some spare nuts bolts and washers for the chair.

Pointed out i could do much more damage with my walking stick, which they didn’t scan or “sniff”. That went down like a lead balloon.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Pointed out i could do much more damage with my walking stick, which they didn’t scan or “sniff”. That went down like a lead balloon.

of course, they have a sense of humour bypass after getting the job , it's in the small print somewhere.