Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

A 'packed' easyJet flight out of Ronaldsway yesterday was left waiting on the runway for an hour due to staffing issues at the airport.

The captain on the flight to London Gatwick reportedly told passengers they were ready to depart but couldn't as air traffic control had closed due to staff shortages.

The plane eventually took off over an hour later than scheduled.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/passengers-left-waiting-on-runway-due-to-airport-staffing-issues/

I can understand ATC operators requiring time off at busy airports like LHR, LGW etc where there are aircraft departing/arriving in very quick order but FFS we're talking IOM here. Shirley there must be an exemption for ATC's where activity, or lack of, allows for additional hours? 

I really can't believe this shit is going on. If LCY can be controlled remotely why can't IOM at peak or other down times?

Something not right here.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I can understand ATC operators requiring time off at busy airports like LHR, LGW etc where there are aircraft departing/arriving in very quick order but FFS we're talking IOM here. Shirley there must be an exemption for ATC's where activity, or lack of, allows for additional hours? 

I really can't believe this shit is going on. If LCY can be controlled remotely why can't IOM at peak or other down times?

Something not right here.

Will have been a very expensive day for Loganair. Up to 600 passengers disrupted by up to 4 or 5 hours, so compensation, refunds, vouchers, hotac, airport extension could tot up to c£120k. 

They'll be looking for a way to add that onto the IOMG subsidy bill!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I can understand ATC operators requiring time off at busy airports like LHR, LGW etc where there are aircraft departing/arriving in very quick order but FFS we're talking IOM here.

The original will be somewhere on the CAA web site:

https://www.civilair.asn.au/news/97-regulation-of-work-hours-for-atc

The news report said staff shortages, rather than staff present but on a mandatory tea break. But who knows.

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

The original will be somewhere on the CAA web site:

https://www.civilair.asn.au/news/97-regulation-of-work-hours-for-atc

The news report said staff shortages, rather than staff present but on a mandatory tea break. But who knows.

Here:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=10823

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If LCY can be controlled remotely why can't IOM at peak or other down times?

London City Airport's shiny new remote control tower cost over £20m to install.

Careful what you wish for!

5 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Let's see what happens 

Landed 2209, hope you got home safely.

An expensive couple of days for Loganair.

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

London City Airport's shiny new remote control tower cost over £20m to install.

Careful what you wish for!

Landed 2209, hope you got home safely.

An expensive couple of days for Loganair.

Yes ..Got home 🙂

credit when it's due to loganair .They must had to pay the airport to keep the airport open.Cabin crew said that it was all due to delays due to some issues at Liverpool earlier on in the day..

On 4/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, cissolt said:

Imagine what it's going to be like for TT week.  I don't remember seeing this catered for in the living with covid plan!

Well, I've just heard that our airport will not be handling any private flyers on Senior Race day, too much workload. You can't make this stuff up, we are a flipping joke, I mean we are a flipping joke!!!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well, I've just heard that our airport will not be handling any private flyers on Senior Race day, too much workload. You can't make this stuff up, we are a flipping joke, I mean we are a flipping joke!!!

That is a little difficult to believe - but I assume you are correct.

During the Silverstone F1 weekend there are probably more helicopter flights in and out of the circuit than anywhere else in Europe on those days. Probably the ATC staff are contracted only for the weekend, and no doubt the landing fees are high, but that is the way professional sport works these days.

Is this the way the Department of Enterprise works to increase the number of visitors?

35 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As far as I know it's for all TT not just senior race day, anything under 5000kg not accepted everything else slot timed.