Airport.

Billy kettlefish

9 hours ago, snowman said:

Just looked at Loganair prices mid May to and from London. I wish it every success but at over £220 return I'm out 

I'm afraid in aviation terms that's realism, Low cost airlines have skewed everyone's expectations of the costs of air travel !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cypman said:

If I remember correctly Heathrow was over £300 return.

I was quite a regular user at the time, it bounced around between £280 and £320 between the early 90s and the cessation of the service. But it was Rolls Royce, complimentary hot meals etc.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, snowman said:

Just looked at Loganair prices mid May to and from London. I wish it every success but at over £220 return I'm out 

That's the cost though. I'm coming back from Gatwick midweek next week on EasyJet and it's costing me £103.47 one-way. This includes my fare, a bag, and a seat (I'm 6' and 17 stone, I don't want a middle seat!).

Loganair were £119 the same day from LCY, with an inclusive hold bag; although they do charge for seat selection, it's not such an important thing when their planes don't have middle seats. Slightly more expensive, yes, but then again the Gatwick Express costs £20 unless you know the cheats and LCY is a luxury airport  compared to the shitshow at Gatwick. I chose EasyJet as the times were better.

If you go hand luggage then EasyJet are cheaper. Any sort of baggage and there's really bugger all difference.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Low cost airlines have skewed everyone's expectations of the costs of air travel !

I think the pricing model is clever, as people just see the headline fare and book. A £50 fare is cheap, but not so much when there's another £50 of add-ons.

The flip side, though, is you don't have to pay for add-ons you don't want. Hand luggage for a day or two and EasyJet genuinely are cheaper.

I think Loganair do need to move to the low-cost model, much as I resent that pricing model.

But Loganair are, to be fair, a bit rubbish when it comes to promoting themselves effectively. Their rewards scheme is really good- I've already had free flights with them through it, and I don’t fly that often- but again really badly marketed.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, snowman said:

The bit about the terminal is actually a decent idea and would generate revenue streams. It won't happen because there's a lack of vision, boldness and also a failure to get even the basics right. So it will remain just an idea. Much like some of the planes, it won't get off the ground.

That's actually nuts. We're a small regional airport at best. Who do you think would sign up for a massive retail outlet, Harrods? 

We just need a suitable sized waiting area with a cafe/bar/newsagents. That's all it needs. Flights are at most an hour... nobody is wanting to rock up 4 hours before departure like they would if going longhaul 

• Like 7

Notwithstanding the point about anyone wishing to use airport retail - Why would you turn up 4 hours before departure for long haul?

Just because it's long haul doesn't mean you need to turn up 4 hours.

By the way - who said the idea wasn't landside.....

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

Notwithstanding the point about anyone wishing to use airport retail - Why would you turn up 4 hours before departure for long haul?

3 hours is what most airlines recommend for long haul if you have luggage to check in. 

Can check in a bit later if flying in a premium cabin / online check in etc 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, snowman said:

Because some people make an occasion of it at airports with decent shopping or lounges  (Heathrow/Gatwick). 

Landside? That's an even more bonkers idea. A Government funded shopping mall at a time when shopping malls are in terminal decline?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Piss poor comparison.

Rail fares are getting very expensive compared to flying in the UK.

If Avanti 50 quid return at least. If using London Northwestern you can do it for about 25 return 

However Avanti do have a family ticket for 55 single No Railcard required. Availability is very limited out of Liverpool but Runcorn and Warrington are usually ok. https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=RUN&dest=EUS&rte=515&tkt=FF2

Edited by snowman
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, snowman said:

If Avanti 50 quid return at least. If using London Northwestern you can do it for about 25 return 

However Avanti do have a family ticket for 55 single No Railcard required. Availability is very limited out of Liverpool but Runcorn and Warrington are usually ok. https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=RUN&dest=EUS&rte=515&tkt=FF2

In an ideal world this might work while coming back to the island 

But the fares you quote are for discounted off peak travel on a specific train .

If you miss that train (due to delays getting there from the IOM )  you end up having to.pay full fare for a new ticket 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1