Airport.

Billy kettlefish

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm ok with contactless but why an app? Is it another unnecessary complication?

Absolutely. It has disaster written all over it. 

They should just scrap the Manx pound coins now and go back to the notes, like Jersey and Guernsey. The Manx coins just confuse English tourists. They like the notes and take them as souvenirs, each of which is a gift to the iom government. 

• Like 1

1. The existing barriers have been in place 10-12 years. Even if they were designed to be internal, which I don’t for a minute believe, that’s not a bad life span.

As for the coin weight, BoE wouldn’t let us have the bimetallic blanks for “security” reasons. Agree APNR and Contactless, or an APNR system linked to terminals in the Airport into which you could type your registration. That helps avoid long queues at the actual barriers.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, snowman said:

Loganair still selling tickets for Tuesday onwards so they're on the hook for alot of Uk261 compo and rebooking if they don't commence operations. Busy Easter weekend in store ...

So the London City flight took off and landed ahead of schedule! Great news . 

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm ok with contactless but why an app? Is it another unnecessary complication?

Because they like to over complicate things. Perhaps for prepayment?

Hopefully they are quicker than the DBC machines in M&S!  I think they are facing the card details through for manual input

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

APNR system linked to terminals in the Airport into which you could type your registration. That helps avoid long queues at the actual barriers.

You should not need barriers in that case which will save a lot of cash and maintenance.

Are the DOI or a private operator allowed access to the vehicle owners details via ANPR for the purposes of collecting parking fees/fines in the IOM though  if somebody drives out without paying though?

41 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

You should not need barriers in that case which will save a lot of cash and maintenance.

Are the DOI or a private operator allowed access to the vehicle owners details via ANPR for the purposes of collecting parking fees/fines in the IOM though  if somebody drives out without paying though?

You do need barriers. Otherwise people will drive off.

APNR doesn’t need to be connected to the vehicle registration data base. It just recognises the number plate and either issues a ticket, or remembers what time and date a vehicle with that registration entered, so it can calculate what is owed at exit. It can do that in three ways, ticket, recognition at exit, or entry of registration into a payment machine.

Lots of continental car parks have this. And out of hours they are gated with a keypad for entry into which you enter your registration to open an auto gate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But if you just drove off and it had recorded you arriving and leaving then if it was connected to the database they could send you a penalty charge in addition to the parking fee?.

Makes it more complicated.

What if the registered owner were not the driver or in the car. Plus, there are data protection issues ( not insurmountable ) for DoI to release the info. It’s why Dartford Crossing and Runcorn don’t send out penalty notices to the keepers of Manx registered vehicles, they either can’t access, or can’t be bothered. DoI does release registered keeper information  to the Irish Tolls authority and Manchester City Parking. It’s very inconsistent. 

I have a motorway tag for use in Spain, Portugal and France. It works in lots of car parks. It works two ways. 1. Radio link from tag to barrier and auto operation and charge, or APNR and using the radio link for billing. Depends on the car park.  Wish it worked on British, Irish, Italian and Greek toll roads. Amazing when you’re in a right hand drive car with no passenger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Probably with about 5 people on it 

I assume by your use of the word probably that you were not on it . Therefore I suggest you are better off not commenting until the official figures are available. 

I really don’t get why you choose to be so negative as I have maintained more seats from London to the island is a good thing and will likely bring money and investment I don’t get why you can’t give it a chance !