Airport.

Billy kettlefish

19 minutes ago, WTF said:

we will never go for qualified locals when we can have unqualified foreigners .

I've said it many times. Unless they're well connected, local candidates will invariably be passed over for the dazzlers from across. The senior execs, most of them from the UK, appoint their own kind with the same mindset, training, attitudes and background. It's a culture thing and many Manx people don't get a look in above a certain level.

Mr Dandara has houses to sell too... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, snowman said:

Liverpool LM681 07:00 Cancelled showing on fr24 as cancelled tomorrow.

That’s the patient transfers mucked up again with many important appointments missed unless they can get on easyJet 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I've said it many times. Unless they're well connected, local candidates will invariably be passed over for the dazzlers from across. The senior execs, most of them from the UK, appoint their own kind with the same mindset, training, attitudes and background. It's a culture thing and many Manx people don't get a look in above a certain level.

Mr Dandara has houses to sell too... 

Depends on what is meant by "qualified".  How many locals have EXPERIENCE  in running airports?  The last thing we need is someone who has "qualifications", ie exams, and not experience, to be given the post.  They need to have practical experience first, even if not at the top level.  

Jezza likes planes and airport stuff, but that was not enough. You can love aviation, and even have management qualifications, but unless you have had experience in airport management then you are not necessarily 'qualified', particularly, to take the top role. 

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Depends on what is meant by "qualified".  How many locals have EXPERIENCE  in running airports?  The last thing we need is someone who has "qualifications", ie exams, and not experience, to be given the post.  They need to have practical experience first, even if not at the top level.  

Jezza likes planes and airport stuff, but that was not enough. You can love aviation, and even have management qualifications, but unless you have had experience in airport management then you are not necessarily 'qualified', particularly, to take the top role. 

annies track record should never have seen her employed either unless you wanted to end up with a failure, oh, we did.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

annies track record should never have seen her employed either unless you wanted to end up with a failure, oh, we did.

Well quite, perhaps the due diligence wasn't great for either appointment.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Well quite, perhaps the due diligence wasn't great for either appointment.  

How about Malcolm Couch - 26 year's experience in finance and tax, given the job of running a health service (not to mention his predecessor) . Nick Black, who ( in my experience) had difficulty composing an email, and is now driving buses. Ian Longworth - need I say more. These people are not the problem. The problem is the people who gave them the job - and they are still doing the same kind of thing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How about Malcolm Couch - 26 year's experience in finance and tax, given the job of running a health service (not to mention his predecessor) . Nick Black, who ( in my experience) had difficulty composing an email, and is now driving buses. Ian Longworth - need I say more. These people are not the problem. The problem is the people who gave them the job - and they are still doing the same kind of thing.

Well Couch did have a medical degree so assume that counted towards his experience of health 

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I know what you mean, but thinking back to the late 70s and early 80s, wasn't Ronaldsway run by a local then?  And didn't he* do a pretty good job?  I doubt he had much experience of running an airport anywhere else outside the island.

As I said in another thread, I worked in the civil service for a couple of years after graduating and many of the senior govt. officers of that time seemed to me to be skilled and competent Manx people.  I can't believe there aren't still first rate Manx people who'd be miles better than unknown people from the UK.  If I was involved in recruiting to senior posts on the IoM I think I'd have very searching questions for anybody from the UK who thought they were any good as to why they would want to work in a backwater (sorry!) like the Isle of Man.  Surely it's a death knell for any promising public sector career?

I'm sure many non-Manx people have perfectly valid reasons for wanting to build a civil service career on the Isle of Man - but I'm equally certain that not all will.  The time to identify the "wrong" people is before you employ them...

*I might be completely mistaken, but wasn't the man who ran Ronaldsway at that time the father of the present first deemster, and presumably Manx - or have I got that completely wrong?  I was using the airport a lot around that time and it all seemed OK and pretty efficiently run to me.

• Like 2

He did have a qualification  in medicine   but I don't think he ever practiced and as some would say he lacked a bedside manner , but never the less a clever  and intelligent man , that being said  he was only  one of a number of inexperienced or poorly qualified    chief executives  such as David Killlip , Colin Kniveton  , the last person in there with any feeling for the job was ken Tomlinson  it started to fall apart when he fell ill ,and the powers that be looked for anyone from the civil service daft enough to step up to the plate as it was seen as a boost to the pension pot ,

sadly its got a whole lot worse since then ! and I have little confidence in Manx care delivering anything 

9 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I know what you mean, but thinking back to the late 70s and early 80s, wasn't Ronaldsway run by a local then?  And didn't he* do a pretty good job?  I doubt he had much experience of running an airport anywhere else outside the island.

As I said in another thread, I worked in the civil service for a couple of years after graduating and many of the senior govt. officers of that time seemed to me to be skilled and competent Manx people.  I can't believe there aren't still first rate Manx people who'd be miles better than unknown people from the UK.  If I was involved in recruiting to senior posts on the IoM I think I'd have very searching questions for anybody from the UK who thought they were any good as to why they would want to work in a backwater (sorry!) like the Isle of Man.  Surely it's a death knell for any promising public sector career?

I'm sure many non-Manx people have perfectly valid reasons for wanting to build a civil service career on the Isle of Man - but I'm equally certain that not all will.  The time to identify the "wrong" people is before you employ them...

*I might be completely mistaken, but wasn't the man who ran Ronaldsway at that time the father of the present first deemster, and presumably Manx - or have I got that completely wrong?  I was using the airport a lot around that time and it all seemed OK and pretty efficiently run to me.

I agree that there are very competent and able locals, but the world has changed. There is a higher degree of technical input to most high level CS jobs and most public services are run on a private sector commercial basis.  There was once a belief that a good manager can manage any department, being a good manager or administrator was all that was required. 

That was true at one time, but not now where many parts of government are required to operate on a quasi-commercial basis.  It is no longer enough to define a cost budget for the year and stick to it, many areas also have to also generate revenue and have a business plan.

There is nothing wrong with that as a concept, but it also requires a different type of civil servant.  It requires someone with a high level of commercial acumen and a deep understanding of the operational aspects of the area they are running as well as understanding the civil service imperatives.  That is a pretty unique combination that isn’t met by the traditional 'good' civil servant or someone shipped in from the private sector. 

• Thanks 1