Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

However Malcolm Couch, as he was known at income tax. Or Dr Couch as he became at DHSC to reiterate his credentials.....didn't. 

If he doesn't hold a licence to practice, he can't, to be fair. 

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I could be wrong, but I am sure he referred to his medical discipline as being something neuro - I hesitate to say brain surgeon, but it was that kind of thing. 

Gynaecology I heard, but that might be a load of fanny... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The same for all department CEOs.

If they had proper objectives which were regularly assessed with normal disciplines around non-performance then there wouldn’t be so many issues as they would concentrate on most important issues which should form the objectives 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

If they had proper objectives which were regularly assessed with normal disciplines around non-performance then there wouldn’t be so many issues as they would concentrate on most important issues which should form the objectives 

Problem is the CEOs set their own objectives.

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

For those reasons, running something like the airport needs someone who:

a. Understands what a public sector organisation has to do including budgets as well as business plans.

b. Has commercial ability but understands how that needs to be tempered by the public service aspects. 

c. Understand the technical aspects of running an airport, including aviation and security compliance, as well as the other general management stuff.

So, yes, a good administrator could do it, but they also have to understand the technical aspects to be effective and also be able to sniff out bullshit or incompetence of those with the disciplinary responsibility reporting to them, or even to understand what they are being told. 

A good pilot is not necessarily a good airport manager, just like a good  doctor is not necessarily a good hospital director.  Nor is someone with a fervent belief in some area of social good necessarily going to be a good director of a charity (and also the reason why many charities fail). 

As I said, the public sector in many areas now requires managers/directors with quite a different set of skills to be effective.  That often requires experience elsewhere.

So, my question remains who on the island is qualified for the job? 

I suppose that what I'm trying to say - and probably not very well - is that I don't see the point of giving senior public sector jobs and responsibility to non-Manx people when there seems to be little reason to believe that they will be any better at doing the job than a local would be.

I'm happy to accept that running the airport probably* needs some technical knowledge or expertise, but is there any evidence that the last two people (was it Reynolds and Spake?) had any more of that between them than any Manx bloke (or woman) you'd find in the civil service?  Or down the pub?

Having the necessary technical skills or knowledge as an essential requirement for a job is pointless if the people appointing to the post in question can't discriminate between those candidates who can competently execute those skills and demonstrate that knowledge, and those who can't.  All I know about Spake is that he was on some reality tv show about Aeroflot?  But what did he know about running operations at an airport?  Was he only appointed because the appointment panel had seen him on tv and were dazzled by his "fame"?  Why give him a job?

Is there some notion prevalent within government HR and recruitment that literally anybody from outside the Isle of Man must by default be a better job candidate than any Manx person?

I'd appoint a local idiot before an english idiot every time.  I'd expect the local idiot at least to try to do the job properly and perhaps even resign out of embarrassment if they couldn't.

*I wouldn't necessarily expect just one person to have all the necessary skills and knowledge to run the airport.  Maybe you need one administrator to ensure smooth running of the place and to get things done, and then another operational officer to ensure technical and legal compliance.  It would just need clear demarcation lines of responsibility and accountability.  Yes - two posts but it might be better than having one post and the place being run like Fred Karno's army ona bad day...

Edited by Ghost Ship

I doubt that any of this is true. Electronic coin mechanisms can be made to accept any notes, coins or tokens as required. I believe I can use english and manx notes and coins in supermarket self pay machines(marks and spencer and Tesco.) If they have a genuine reason fine but don't just make up lies. It's unbecoming 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, emesde said:

I doubt that any of this is true. Electronic coin mechanisms can be made to accept any notes, coins or tokens as required. I believe I can use english and manx notes and coins in supermarket self pay machines(marks and spencer and Tesco.) If they have a genuine reason fine but don't just make up lies. It's unbecoming 

Be easier to just have the same coins.