Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Be easier to just have the same coins.

the real reason is they couldn't be arsed , inconvenience  the travelling public  ,don't provide  an alternative or back up   in case the  app  goes down or there is a problem   , whats wrong with a system that takes money off your card , or you can pay inside the airport ,  useless  idle  bastards !  ,  and there is no reason why Manx coins cant be minted using the same size and weight blanks  as the UK ones ,  we use to do this when Pobjoy mint  manufactured  manx coins 

• Like 3

It seems ridiculous to not have a payment machine(s) inside that you type your reg number into and pay either by card or  paper money ( they could even have it as £10 minimum charge for cash) but at least the option would be there.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

2 hours ago, Banker said:

If [CEOs] had proper objectives which were regularly assessed with normal disciplines around non-performance then there wouldn’t be so many issues as they would concentrate on most important issues which should form the objectives 

But as ever the problem is a structural one.  In the way that Manx government now operates, CEOs are seen as having two purposes.  Firstly to manage their Minister and other politicians.  Secondly to increase Departmental spending especially on capital projects, which to some extent involves the first.  Most of them simply don't see running an organisation that provides services for the public as part of their job - hence the need for an 'Operations Manager' or similar in some circumstances.  CEO's are too lofty to concern themselves with such mundane matters, and they and their entourage see themselves as deciding policy and strategy instead.  Effectively they have appointed themselves as Ministers, while the politicians and reduced to the role of junior PR people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, emesde said:

I doubt that any of this is true. Electronic coin mechanisms can be made to accept any notes, coins or tokens as required. I believe I can use english and manx notes and coins in supermarket self pay machines(marks and spencer and Tesco.) If they have a genuine reason fine but don't just make up lies. It's unbecoming 

This is correct. The companies who make coin and note machines don't make machines just for England, or pound notes. They are universal and it takes about ten minutes per note/coin to program. 

They can do what they want with the parking. If it is app based, I won't be using it. I don't use online payments from my phone. That is where the majority of fraud is at the moment. Best avoided. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, emesde said:

I doubt that any of this is true. Electronic coin mechanisms can be made to accept any notes, coins or tokens as required. I believe I can use english and manx notes and coins in supermarket self pay machines(marks and spencer and Tesco.) If they have a genuine reason fine but don't just make up lies. It's unbecoming 

Crookall really has to stop being so gullible.  It's like the story about the previous barriers only being suitable for indoor use - it's not even plausible.  Clearly at best someone has just bought the first product they came across, after having done nothing for many months, once the row blew up over all the lost revenue.  Now they're trying to justify what was a bad purchase by just saying the first nonsense that comes into their head.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Car parks all over the world use tried and tested systems that involve taking a card on entry and then paying at a machine to validate the card when you pay and leave the car park. The card being validated causes the barrier to rise and let you out. Why do we have to go for systems that are rarely used and I understand are less reliable and rely on people having to download an app which they may only need  once. Oh I remember now........ We have to be different😠

Doesn't matter if its not as good and costs 10 times more. As long as its different. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mmmmm worrying that the barriers are on trial for 12 months. Any money on they won't work out and miraculously be replaced with a coin one which accepts manx pound coins !!

Ohhh and the through baggage isnt anything new as used that option many times through to Bangkok with flybe / Etihad and its a brilliant bonus. Say goodbye to your bags at Ronaldsway and through to pick up at Bangkok. With the bonus of the 30kg luggage allowance with my guest card .   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, emesde said:

Car parks all over the world use tried and tested systems that involve taking a card on entry and then paying at a machine to validate the card when you pay and leave the car park. The card being validated causes the barrier to rise and let you out. Why do we have to go for systems that are rarely used and I understand are less reliable and rely on people having to download an app which they may only need  once. Oh I remember now........ We have to be different😠

Doesn't matter if its not as good and costs 10 times more. As long as its different. 

I don't suppose it has occurred to the halfwits in the DoI that if they come up with something too complex, or which the public don't like, it'll just drive parkers to use Athol Garage, Mylchreests, Speedy Parking etc. so good news for them, after a very lean period. 

Edited by Nellie

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

Tonight not good fogbound again ! I'm not sure technically here, due to location, much can be done to deal with conditions as severe as tonight.

Move it to somewhere sunny, it's a lovely evening down north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Mmmmm worrying that the barriers are on trial for 12 months.

It's a car park. Just a car park. But they need to have a 12 month trial, because they are not sure if...  well, what is it that they are not sure about?

In my opinion they should install cheap, interior-use barriers, and replace them every 14 years. Low cost, but will produce exactly the same income as with the high-tech read-your-eyeballs systems.

• Like 2