Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Paking apps can work well for things like street parking where regular parkers use roads on a regular basis. They would be totally unsuitable for a one off car park that is used very occasionally by most people. 

Can you imagine the chaos if every car park started to use its own app. From experience these machines do have an issue with hyphens in number plates,especially when some plates use them and some don't. 

I was unable to put in my reg a while ago in the UK machine, so entered it after several attempts without the hyphens. I was stopped in the same car park a week later and accused of not paying. It got sorted after half an hour but was an indication of the problems that can occur when you try to use a high tec system to solve a low tec problem. 

In the last month I have used  car parks in France, luxembourg (at airport) and in Germany. Not one has felt the need to have an app to park. They all issued tickets on entry and pay stations to validate  the tickets on departure. All took credit and debit cards and one took euro coins also. Simple and efficient. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Nice one Quilp , your efforts are appreciated by those on here I'm sure . Not sure DOI and Tim Baker will agree , unlucky !!  

I get the feeling the DOI have become so lazy and complacent they just want to  delegate  responsibility  to anyone  they can     ,while they sit on their backsides and draw money for a job they should be doing themselves ,  they owe it to the travelling public to provide  parking payment facilities  that can receive payment from a number of sources , 

same applies to some of their schemes , all farmed out to their mates , anything goes wrong , nothing to do with us mate its the consultants problem just like Douglas promenade  where they are digging up  the Queens prom end again today   

you could not write the script for this comedy of errors     !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

And so it goes. No money for the barriers, you couldn't make it up...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/app-based-parking-a-fairly-good-solution-says-doi-minister/

unbelievable . And why have those toss pots got no money ?? Because they waste millions over the years in incompetence and ill thought out schemes . Fixing the barriers would have paid for themselves in the first month. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Plenty of money available to restore the old railway line, now up from £1.3million to £1.7million (and counting). Surely, eventually, the revenue from parking charges it would pay for itself?

Edited by quilp
Numbnuts beat me to it...
  • Like 4

The airport carpark had been losing £50,000 a month in revenue because of broken barriers. So approx £600,000 pa. 

But fixing them at a cost of 200k is seen as unaffordable. 

I must be missing something.            It seems to be the only thing that DOI  makes a great return on and so it's not seen as  viable??? 

That view probably explains much😠

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, quilp said:

And so it goes. No money for the barriers, you couldn't make it up...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/app-based-parking-a-fairly-good-solution-says-doi-minister/

At the end of that interview, Crockall is asked whether the app has been developed locally and, more importantly, at what cost. Seems the app supplier is not local and not a word from him about how much it's going to cost US.

So come on Tim, who's the supplier and how much..? I'd wager he doesn't even know.

Will someone in our government-friendly media press him for an answer? 

16 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is someone on a promise, a nod and a wink to an app developer, for this? And at what cost?

You are probably correct. 

An app for a public car park used by a small number of people once or twice a year. What could possibly go wrong.?? 🤪 

It's such a great idea that you wonder why no one else has chosen to use it anywhere in this sort of situation. 

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, emesde said:

The airport carpark had been losing £50,000 a month in revenue because of broken barriers. So approx £600,000 pa. 

But fixing them at a cost of 200k is seen as unaffordable. 

I must be missing something.            It seems to be the only thing that DOI  makes a great return on and so it's not seen as  viable??? 

That view probably explains much😠

Found three hundred thousand pound to build a room to carry out Covid jabs at the airport!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Found three hundred thousand pound to build a room to carry out Covid jabs at the airport!!!

Yup a few 3 x 2 walls and plasterboard comes dear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2