Airport.

Billy kettlefish

It seems @Ringy Rose and @IOM are confusing two separate issues.

One is the willingness of the Government to piss away £4m on routes which are commercially questionable. History from Teesside, Carlisle and Newquay shows how this has worked with Loganair in the past. Even if the routes are performing well, the underwrite is just far more appealing.

The other is the damage to the Island's reputation when an airline can whimsically cancel flights at last minute and merge them together because of uneconomical loads.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

My source of the pax numbers is myself. I was on the flight, back row and heard the Menzies handler tell the crew there were 48 on board.

I didn't quote me, I quoted you, but here it is again anyway with your name on it.

You said you heard the Menzies handler say there were 48 people on board. Why they'd be saying that when the crew have the manifest and the same crew operate all day is, of course, by the by.

But if it is somehow true you won't need to worry yourself about Loganair for much longer.

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I didn't quote me, I quoted you, but here it is again anyway with your name on it.

You said you heard the Menzies handler say there were 48 people on board. Why they'd be saying that when the crew have the manifest and the same crew operate all day is, of course, by the by.

But if it is somehow true you won't need to worry yourself about Loganair for much longer.

You don't fly often then? I think every easyJet, BA, Loganair and Ryanair flight I've been on, I've always heard verbal confirmation of the number of passengers loaded and the handlers checking that it tallys with the crews own headcount of how many people are physically onboard. It's a normal process.

Maybe you won't be satisfied until someone more suitably qualified like maybe @madmanxpilotcomes along and reassures you that it happens?

You seem certain to defend any negativity. That's fine. But your failure to recognise that this is not a good situation is mind boggling.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

10 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You don't fly often then? I think every easyJet, BA, Loganair and Ryanair flight I've been on, I've always heard verbal confirmation of the number of passengers loaded and the handlers checking that it tallys with the crews own headcount of how many people are physically onboard. It's a normal process.

Maybe you won't be satisfied until someone more suitably qualified like maybe @madmanxpilotcomes along and reassures you that it happens?

You seem certain to defend any negativity. That's fine. But your failure to recognise that this is not a good situation is mind boggling.

Angels, head of pin. STOP!

Either go get a room, or fight it out in personal messages. 

You’re deliberately misunderstanding each other or trolling. 

Suspension looms, which would be disappointing as you’ve both got lots of good contributions when you aren’t going tit for tat at each other.

• Thanks 1

Just now, John Wright said:

Angels, head of pin. STOP!

Either go get a room, or fight it out in personal messages. 

You’re deliberately misunderstanding each other or trolling. 

Suspension looms, which would be disappointing as you’ve both got lots of good contributions when you aren’t going tit for tat at each other.

Hugs and kisses.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The other is the damage to the Island's reputation when an airline can whimsically cancel flights at last minute and merge them together because of uneconomical loads.

EasyJet have also done that: their proposed twice daily Manchester is now daily. I've had cancellation notices through for EZY and I'm expecting more soon for some bookings I've got with both airlines in the autumn.

It's almost as though the proposed frequency for both airlines was insane.

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

One is the willingness of the Government to piss away £4m on routes which are commercially questionable. History from Teesside, Carlisle and Newquay shows how this has worked with Loganair in the past. Even if the routes are performing well, the underwrite is just far more appealing.

I still don't quite know what you're arguing here. I'm not sure you quite know what you're arguing either. It's like you're blinded by hatred of Loganair. I find it very bizarre.

I think the government have found the right balance with London: underwriting the route as startup funding for 6-12 months, then leaving the airline(s) to it. I think Heathrow will go- clearly Loganair are just babysitting slots for BA- but City will stay. Loganair fares to LCY are competitive; with luggage, the difference between LCY and LGW fares is buttons, with the bonus of LCY actually being vaguely near London.

If it doesn't work I wouldn't see it as wasted money, but the funding should stop at the end of the trial. Nor would I see it as Loganair deliberately failing. They're a business, they won't fly if they're losing money, but equally they don't care where the money comes from.

Not sure where the three airports you mention come into it. Carlisle shut to commercial aviation when Stobart went bust, Teesside has been a basket case for as long as I can remember, and the all-year routes to Newquay have always been under PSO contracts, even back in Flybe days when Newquay Airport changed you a tenner "facility fee" at security.

ETA: posted before I saw @John Wright's post. I've said all there is to say.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

Everyone waxes lyrical about Aer Lingus through fares from the IOM to the USA. Remains to be seen if the BA codeshare agreement enjoys the same success (to lets face it, far more destinations in one hop).

The fares aren't available to book in the Aer Lingus website or app any more since the route resumed. So people waxing lyrical have to go to a travel agent. 

On another point.... Is the Rendezvous Lounge any nearer being properly staffed? For my 4 departures this month it's been closed so I've been unable to use it.  It hasn't closed permanently, just a sign on the door blaming staff shortages for the closure.  Do they have a Facebook page where they put updates? I can't find one 

Edited by snowman

26 minutes ago, snowman said:

The fares aren't available to book in the Aer Lingus website or app any more since the route resumed. So people waxing lyrical have to go to a travel agent. 

On another point.... Is the Rendezvous Lounge any nearer being properly staffed? For my 4 departures this month it's been closed so I've been unable to use it.  It hasn't closed permanently, just a sign on the door blaming staff shortages for the closure.  Do they have a Facebook page where they put updates? I can't find one 

Only a matter of time before Aer Lingus re-instate connecting itineraries. BA works nicely though.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/book/public/en_us/flightList?onds=IOM-SIN_2022-08-25,SIN-IOM_2022-09-01&ad=1&yad=0&ch=0&inf=0&cabin=M&flex=LOWEST

1 hour ago, snowman said:

We can't have people providing services at the Airport.  The passengers might start getting ideas.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

Everyone waxes lyrical about Aer Lingus through fares from the IOM to the USA. Remains to be seen if the BA codeshare agreement enjoys the same success (to lets face it, far more destinations in one hop).

Flying via Dublin means you avoid Long Haul APD