Airport.

Billy kettlefish

In terms of pre pay parking solutions I think it's absolutely fine. I've used it.

The problem is that auto pay would have been alot better for an airport where it's possible to be delayed in the air.  But the auto-pay solution from Ringo required barriers and the publicly stated rationale for using Ringo is to remove barriers and cash.

The issue I have with airport parking is that pre pay doesn't make sense. 

It will be possible to purchase additional time after the initial pre pay. That's an improvement on the current ticketed solution. You can add time whilst stuck in the UK. 

The problem is that pre pay for fixed durations is not sensible for airport users. That's applicable not just to IOM but to every airport.

The benefit of pre pay works for car parks is that typically people use about 90% of their purchased time so in effect can be oversold.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, snowman said:

In terms of pre pay parking solutions I think it's absolutely fine. I've used it.

Well done you. It starts next Tuesday. 

27 minutes ago, snowman said:

and the publicly stated rationale for using Ringo is to remove barriers and cash.

It's not that they want to remove them it's because they don't want to spend the money. So are willing to go for the worst possible option. 

29 minutes ago, snowman said:

The problem is that pre pay for fixed durations is not sensible for airport users. That's applicable not just to IOM but to every airport.

I think everyone agrees with that. That's probably why no one else does it. 

31 minutes ago, snowman said:

It will be possible to purchase additional time after the initial pre pay. That's an improvement on the current ticketed solution. You can add time whilst stuck in the UK.

Surely paying on departure for the time you have spent there is an even better option. You don't need to increase time etc  at all. 

Apart from that your case for it being a brilliant system is spot on. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, emesde said:

Well done you. It starts next Tuesday. 

It's not that they want to remove them it's because they don't want to spend the money. So are willing to go for the worst possible option. 

I think everyone agrees with that. That's probably why no one else does it. 

Surely paying on departure for the time you have spent there is an even better option. You don't need to increase time etc  at all. 

Apart from that your case for it being a brilliant system is spot on. 

I agree with you

RingGo used at any other airport? No? There’s a a surprise!  IOM being a test bed again (oops , sorry they’ve not come up with that as an excuse/claim yet) Works for shoppers car parks, as one alternative, but come on DOI, drop it now before it becomes another notch in DOI’s bedpost of failures - walk away, say “we were wrong” - its not that hard to do and you might (possibly) earn some (badly needed) respect

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What will ensure the trial fails will be if everyone goes to the information desk to seek assistance to pay, rather than downloading and using the app or phone payment.

Being the IoM it’s also the most likely outcome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

What will ensure the trial fails will be if everyone goes to the information desk to seek assistance to pay, rather than downloading and using the app or phone payment.

Being the IoM it’s also the most likely outcome.

I hope so. 
They can’t organize the proverbial piss up in a brewery. 

• Thanks 2