Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, emesde said:

There seems to be some agenda here. I wonder if the longer term plan is to have all car park and street parking fees handled by a third party such as Ringo? 🤔 

With RinGo, it don't come easy.                                                    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Airport website:

"With RingGo, you’ll never need a ticket from the machine again. Civil Enforcement Officers know you’re parked with the service by checking the vehicle registration on their handheld devices"

There will need to be one or more people constantly walking around the car park pointing their hand-held devices at car number plates.

Unless they are paid to work evenings also, you  will only need to pay up until they stop work.

If they only have the car number plate, how does enforcement work? Is the gov. required to hand over your name and address for a civil offense?

He didn't include that in his pricing, it says it will only cost £4000 in the paper.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emesde said:

There seems to be some agenda here. I wonder if the longer term plan is to have all car park and street parking fees handled by a third party such as Ringo? 🤔 

Paul won't be happy.

19 minutes ago, WTF said:

Paul won't be happy.

I just tried to log into the parking   App  and guess what my apple   iphone  6 if not up to date enough! to use it   where  is  the logic in all this ,why cant we have a touch pay or debit card system in conjunction with this ,and I am not going to buy another phone .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Airport website:

"With RingGo, you’ll never need a ticket from the machine again. Civil Enforcement Officers know you’re parked with the service by checking the vehicle registration on their handheld devices"

There will need to be one or more people constantly walking around the car park pointing their hand-held devices at car number plates.

Unless they are paid to work evenings also, you  will only need to pay up until they stop work.

If they only have the car number plate, how does enforcement work? Is the gov. required to hand over your name and address for a civil offense?

Any bets there’ll be issues with GDPR somewhere? 

• Like 2

Anyone who doesn’t have a smartphone can call +44 1624 825717 and use a pre-registered payment card.

A further option is available by visiting the information desk inside the Isle of Man Airport building, providing your vehicle registration and using a payment card

Edited by snowman

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

Anyone who doesn’t have a smartphone can call +44 1624 825717 and use a pre-registered payment card.

A further option is available by visiting the information desk inside the Isle of Man Airport building, providing your vehicle registration and using a payment card

You seem to know a bit about how the system works. Do you have any information about the following?

When making a booking is it necessary to specify an arrival time and departure time, or does one simply specify a duration than can be used at any time?

What are the penalties for exceeding the tine booked?

If i book my car in for 2 weeks parking and pay by card. And then my  flight is cancelled and have to reschedule my trip can I get a credit or return of payment for the prepaid 2 weeks. Now if I had got a ticket and then paid based on time actually parked, it would have been so much easier

Just like happens everywhere else in the world at airport car parks. 

4 hours ago, emesde said:

There was hint of this from Crookall as I pointed out earlier in the thread:

Crookall: [...] The Department carried out an options appraisal of its pay-and-display car parking within Douglas to identify a more cost effective and efficient car park charging system. This was then used as a basis for the proposed system to be utilised at the Airport, which hopefully will come in the next few weeks.

It's quite clear that someone at DoI wanted a new toy so that the car parks they took back from DBC (as I will continue to call it) couldn't be given back to them.  This may be the real reason why they didn't fix the barriers at the Airport, so they could use it there as well - they probably didn't expect the row.

9 minutes ago, emesde said:

If i book my car in for 2 weeks parking and pay by card. And then my  flight is cancelled and have to reschedule my trip can I get a credit or return of payment for the prepaid 2 weeks. Now if I had got a ticket and then paid based on time actually parked, it would have been so much easier

Just like happens everywhere else in the world at airport car parks. 

Who mentioned pre bookings? Just turn up and park. 

So many unanswered questions. We discovered today that every car number plate was to be scanned by hand held device. So how many people are needed to do this every hour or so. How many people will be required to manage them. How many admin staff to deal with the underpayments, and checking time booked with actual length of stay. Arranging payment of fines etc.... I see a whole new department of civil servants being needed for this. 

• Thanks 2