Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Copied from pprune:

"Passed through Ronaldsway for a heavily-delayed IOM-MAN Loganair flight this afternoon / evening. The terminal became increasingly packed - standing room only - with three EasyJet flights and a Loganair Liverpool service also delayed. This presented one major problem: the public address announcements in the departure lounge were completely inaudible. Nobody could hear anything that was said ... shrugs and puzzled glances all round.

I asked one of the airport staff if they could ask for the PA volume to be turned up. But she said that this was a known problem ... the system was set to full volume ... staff have been begging the airport management to do something about it for ages ... but nothing ever happens.

People who had seats were reluctant to vacate them to check up on announcements, as there was no chance of getting those seats back again if they did. Once I got to gate for my flight, I learned that we had been offered refreshment vouchers by Loganair due to our long delay. First I knew of it. Never heard a thing! Assigned gate numbers were learned by word of mouth ... screens are not visible from some sections of the terminal.

IOM management. Can you listen to your staff and sort out your dysfunctional public address system, please. WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! AND WE REALLY NEED TO!!! "

• Thanks 4

And what time does the info desk open to take payments? People will now need to factor in the time to queue at the info desk to pay in advance for their parking AND the time to queue to check in bags AND the time for the security queue … So does this mean that the airport will be open at 5am now so that people can pay for parking without fear of missing flight? 

So add any extra hours/overtime rates for info desk staff and all other staff ‘needed’ to the “£4k” - only the contract cost with RingGo has been given to Tynwald and the public  I’m guessing, no staff costs at all … not really an honest answer was it Minister? 

Edited by 360 View
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Copied from pprune:

"Passed through Ronaldsway for a heavily-delayed IOM-MAN Loganair flight this afternoon / evening. The terminal became increasingly packed - standing room only - with three EasyJet flights and a Loganair Liverpool service also delayed. This presented one major problem: the public address announcements in the departure lounge were completely inaudible. Nobody could hear anything that was said ... shrugs and puzzled glances all round.

I asked one of the airport staff if they could ask for the PA volume to be turned up. But she said that this was a known problem ... the system was set to full volume ... staff have been begging the airport management to do something about it for ages ... but nothing ever happens.

People who had seats were reluctant to vacate them to check up on announcements, as there was no chance of getting those seats back again if they did. Once I got to gate for my flight, I learned that we had been offered refreshment vouchers by Loganair due to our long delay. First I knew of it. Never heard a thing! Assigned gate numbers were learned by word of mouth ... screens are not visible from some sections of the terminal.

IOM management. Can you listen to your staff and sort out your dysfunctional public address system, please. WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! AND WE REALLY NEED TO!!! "

Was there. Every flight delayed. In addition to not daring to leave your seat apparently the Wi-Fi has a user limit, so it was one in one out. Not so good when trying to work. The final thing was to call for boarding and then leave folk downstairs in the holding pen for ages. This was merely an attempt to free up some seats/space upstairs. My guess, fire safety is massively compromised when all access routes are filled with folk stood/sat in them. 

They so need to sort the announcement system before TT. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, english zloty said:

Was there. Every flight delayed. In addition to not daring to leave your seat apparently the Wi-Fi has a user limit, so it was one in one out. Not so good when trying to work. The final thing was to call for boarding and then leave folk downstairs in the holding pen for ages. This was merely an attempt to free up some seats/space upstairs. My guess, fire safety is massively compromised when all access routes are filled with folk stood/sat in them. 

They so need to sort the announcement system before TT. 

Can't they just have a silent terminal like many airports around the world?

• Like 1

All looking good then for the 500.000 visitors then. Always the cart before the horse with our lot. Sort out infrastructure needed and then promote the increased visitors. Wonder if they've factored in delayed flights overnight and no capacity in hotels etc for people having to stay extra night etc. And yes I get maybe some wouldnt get in to airport if people cant get out .   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 2

The terminal is suited to the model of multiple small aircraft coming and going through the day, not two or three  Airbuses rocking up at the same time.

The facilities and the handling agent just can’t cope.

It’s like eating breakfast lunch and dinner all in one go and wondering why your gut is about to burst.

Now, if the Government would take control of who comes and when by licensing routes, this would not be an issue.

Also, reading the article in the Examiner last week about the approach lights, Mr Clarkson is mistaken if he thinks that a new ILS and some IRVR equipment will allow for landings in poor visibility. It won’t. Airfield minima are primarily dictated by the type of approach and approach/runway lighting. Here on Fraggle Rock the approach lights for runway 26 only go out about 300 metres or so - that’s why they are classed as basic. With that comes a minimum visibility required of 1000 metres before you can legally make an approach. They’d need to go out  to over 720 metres to allow for approaches in 550 metres.

It wouldn’t be cheap to do, but what cost are we paying for weather delays and cancellations that could otherwise be avoided?

• Like 4

On 5/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, emesde said:

If i book my car in for 2 weeks parking and pay by card. And then my  flight is cancelled and have to reschedule my trip can I get a credit or return of payment for the prepaid 2 weeks. Now if I had got a ticket and then paid based on time actually parked, it would have been so much easier

Just like happens everywhere else in the world at airport car parks. 

Could you not just say prepay an hour then pay the rest later as a top up if you succeeded in getting off the Island?

That would at least cut your losses

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Could you not just say prepay an hour then pay the rest later as a top up if you succeeded in getting off the Island?

That would at least cut your losses

Or perhaps do what they do in a real car park and pay for the time you were there.

Are you really suggesting that everyone who parks there just pays for an hour and then keeps adding extra time if required. 

The system chosen is a backward step so let's see what happens next Tuesday. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, emesde said:

Or perhaps do what they do in a real car park and pay for the time you were there.

Are you really suggesting that everyone who parks there just pays for an hour and then keeps adding extra time if required. 

The system chosen is a backward step so let's see what happens next Tuesday. 

Typical IOM Government that can’t organize the proverbial piss up in a brewery. 

Actually thinking about it..... I think I'll book in for 12 months (max £60) then I can come and go whenever I like as long as I park in the same general area with the same code. Roughly £1 a week..... Sorted. 🤔

• Haha 1