Airport.

Billy kettlefish

It would be interesting to know what fee or percentage is taken off island by RingGo for providing this service. My guess is that they take a percentage of the payments for providing this service. Not unfair, but the Minister says the cost for this whole service is approx £4,000

The govt say that parking fees were approx £50,000 per month. 

I have difficulty believing that it is only going to cost £4,000 to run a £600,000 turnover business. 

Wages, fees, equipment. Admin, legal.  

Who's fooling who??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, emesde said:

Or perhaps do what they do in a real car park and pay for the time you were there.

Are you really suggesting that everyone who parks there just pays for an hour and then keeps adding extra time if required. 

The system chosen is a backward step so let's see what happens next Tuesday. 

What I’m suggesting is paying for an hour, flying across and upon returning (or just prior to) working out how much you should pay. Then subtract the payment for the hour you have already made and pay the difference.

I am not suggesting you make an additional payment every hour you are away.

That would be silly and make sleeping a bit difficult.

But yes the whole thing is misconceived.

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What I’m suggesting is paying for an hour, flying across and upon returning (or just prior to) working out how much you should pay. Then subtract the payment for the hour you have already made and pay the difference.

I am not suggesting you make an additional payment every hour you are away.

That would be silly and make sleeping a bit difficult.

But yes the whole thing is misconceived.

They'd be all over your ass the second that first hour was up.

It's a  f...ing car park.

People shouldn't have to go through nonsense to do what they do in civilised places very easily, just because someone decides they want to be different. Some people live in places where common sense prevails and paying customers are taken into account in decision making.

An app a day doesn't cure  every ill. 

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, emesde said:

It's a  f...ing car park.

People shouldn't have to go through nonsense to do what they do in civilised places very easily, just because someone decides they want to be different. Some people live in places where common sense prevails and paying customers are taken into account in decision making.

An app a day doesn't cure  every ill. 

Why could they not just have had ANPR on entry and exit and payment machines inside the airport that you entered your reg no into and paid before exit?.

If you drove out without paying you received a penalty and if you stayed longer that 3 months the machine produced a report so the vehicle could be removed.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Why could they not just have had ANPR on entry and exit and payment machines inside the airport that you entered you reg no into and paid before exit?.

I you drove out without paying you received a penalty and if you stayed longer that 3 months the machine produced a report so the vehicle could be removed.

That's too sensible mate..:-)

• Haha 1

Interesting that there's very little mention from DoI of the additional fees that RingGo take such as their 10p "convenience" fee for using them and the 20p reminder and summary texts.

Not much in the grand scheme but they add up

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, yorik said:

Interesting that there's very little mention from DoI of the additional fees that RingGo take such as their 10p "convenience" fee for using them and the 20p reminder and summary texts.

The whole thing is a DOI clusterfuck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, yorik said:

The minister has said there won't be any extra fees. Although I bet there will be a fee every time RingGo send you a text to advise you that your parking session expires. I think you can turn this function off in the app. I don't see a problem with the system in some situations and particularly for street parking in large cities. But for a one off car park used by most people very occasionally it is ridiculous expecting 20,000 people to download an app so that they can see visitors off once a year. 

I have not used an airport anywhere that doesn't allow you short stay parking without being able to get a ticket and  pay with cash or debit /credit card.  It's supposed to be an international airport. It makes us look like a third world joke...... Can't afford barriers because we bought some for indoors and they've broken.

Edited by emesde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Why could they not just have had ANPR on entry and exit and payment machines inside the airport that you entered your reg no into and paid before exit?.

If you drove out without paying you received a penalty and if you stayed longer that 3 months the machine produced a report so the vehicle could be removed.

That's what I said pages ago. The Shaw's Brow car park works perfectly (despite being operated by the Gotham City Fathers! :D).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hillside said:

What did the article say?

It was about how an upgrade to the airfield lighting system would allow for aircraft to land in conditions they can’t at the moment, thus reducing the number of delays and cancellations due to low cloud and low visibility.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's what I said pages ago. The Shaw's Brow car park works perfectly (despite being operated by the Gotham City Fathers! :D).

And as far as I know its card only  and the machine ( at least the one on level 1 doesn't take cash payments.

I don't know if there is an option to pay by phone but you will need a card For that as well anyway 

Can come back anytime you want and just pay what you owe .

Edited by mad_manx

4 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

And as far as I know its card only  and the machine ( at least the one on level 1 doesn't take cash payments.

I don't know if there is an option to pay by phone but you will need a card For that as well anyway 

Can come back anytime you want and just pay what you owe .

Well, when my almost 96yo mother-in-law turns round and says "why can't we pay by card, like we used to?" then you know they've got it wrong.

• Haha 3