Airport.

Billy kettlefish

There's profit in them there cashless car parks. Esther Rantzen tells us why...

Esther Rantzen tells ministers to change parking apps for pensioners https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10851103/Esther-Rantzen-tells-ministers-pensioners-not-use-apps-pay-parking.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Yes, I know it's the Daily Mail but if there's truth to be told. 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

As I said not ideal but still an option which gets you to central London probably a few hours earlier than Gatwick & if Gatwick likely to be cancelled. As others have said Birmingham is the other option 

Why on earth would you not use Heathrow or London City ? I priced it up and assuming you had a bag which most people do it was only £25 more than the Bristol journey and a whole 1.5 hours less time . 

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

BHX on the other hand. Been used by folks to get to London for years. 

Really do you have the data to show that ? I think most people who want to go to London tend to use a London airport ! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I don't get the fascination with the car park barriers. 

If you don't want to use an app or you're really old then you can just pay at the Information Desk. 

Doesn't seem to hard.

Car parks have found it to be the most cost effective system. 

Once set up there are are staff cost saving (no personnel needed to scan every car etc.) 

Customer pay on exit and so no problems of paying in advance and returns for cancelled flights etc. No need to top up if there are delays. 

Ticket validated on exit is an automatic receipt. 

A proven liked system used by every airport and major car park worldwide. Understood by all and user friendly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

Car parks have found it to be the most cost effective system. 

Once set up there are are staff cost saving (no personnel needed to scan every car etc.) 

Customer pay on exit and so no problems of paying in advance and returns for cancelled flights etc. No need to top up if there are delays. 

Ticket validated on exit is an automatic receipt. 

A proven liked system used by every airport and major car park worldwide. Understood by all and user friendly. 

Understood by all except the numptys on the IOM & various MHKS!!

36 minutes ago, IOM said:

Why on earth would you not use Heathrow or London City ? I priced it up and assuming you had a bag which most people do it was only £25 more than the Bristol journey and a whole 1.5 hours less time . 

It is surprising.

All the rest of my summer trips to London are with Loganair themselves or the BA codeshare.if going further.

Easyjet night rotations from LGW in the summer are too unreliable for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IOM said:

Really do you have the data to show that ? I think most people who want to go to London tend to use a London airport ! 

Oh feck off you boring tosser 

It's just an example of how you can get to London if needs be. Were you upset that you couldn't pull the option to pieces, because the train actually leaves from BHX? In actual fact, the BHX flight gets into Birmingham two hours before the Heathrow get in, so you could probably be in London quicker. 

Edited by cheesypeas
edited to tone down the insult (a bit).

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

It's just an example of how you can get to London if needs be. Were you upset that you couldn't pull the option to pieces, because the train actually leaves from BHX? In actual fact, the BHX flight gets into Birmingham two hours before the Heathrow get in, so you could probably be in London sooner. 

fixed

On 5/24/2022 at 1:47 PM, emesde said:

To be fair..... Much though I dislike this system, your figures are pretty suspect. It was said that parking fees were £50,000  per month which is £ 600, 000 pa a difference from your figures in excess of half a million pounds. I thi k your decimals have let you down here. 😊

£50,000 a month? Seriously? £1,666 per day from a handful of flights, where most people are picked up or dropped off? No chance. 

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

£50,000 a month? Seriously? £1,666 per day from a handful of flights, where most people are picked up or dropped off? No chance. 

On the few occasions I've parked there it has always been packed

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

DOI's own figures are:

And the DoI cannot be bothered to install barriers? A fast google shows basic barriers are about £2,000 each. A QR code reader will not be expensive. That is of course a very superficial view, but a half a million a year is worthwhile income.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

It's just an example of how you can get to London if needs be. Were you upset that you couldn't pull the option to pieces, because the train actually leaves from BHX? In actual fact, the BHX flight gets into Birmingham two hours before the Heathrow get in, so you could probably be in London quicker. 

Thanks for your high level contribution to the debate your insight is very helpful ! 

What I am actually trying to do is provoke debate and thought to encourage people to use all the London routes . The London City and Heathrow flights have been launched recently with underwriting from the IOMG government. The more people that use the flights the lower the cost to the island taxpayer and wider benefit of more people coming to the island because it’s easier . But then again I know your high level strategic thinking has already worked that out . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1