Airport.

Billy kettlefish

13 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

But why just London? There are passengers other than business users you know.

I wouldn't go near London, ever.

London and the south east is the most populated part of the country . The London airports cover an enormous catchment area . And I agree it’s not just business users don’t you think that people from the island have friends and family in that area ? And a population from London and the surrounding area that we can encourage to come to the island as tourists ? It’s to all our benefit to encourage it .  

• Like 1

if you really  believe that you should get what you paid for, and should complain otherwise, you’ll just end up even more angry and disappointed. In the ideal world that’s what we would all wish for. Unfortunately we are now living in the new normal. The aviation industry is in dire straights and it’s going to take a bit of time to put it right. Should we accept it? No choice. It’s not an Isle of Man, easyJet or any other airline issue. The whole system is fooked. If you don’t have enough pilots / ATC staff / baggage handlers etc etc etc, the cogs just won’t turn efficiently. So stamp your feet all you like. 

Simon Calder

@SimonCalder

·

8h

Dozens more cancellations on British Airways and easyJet. While most were notified in advance, around 3,000 easyJet passengers due to fly to/from Gatwick last night were grounded at short notice. Airline blames air-traffic control and refuses compensation.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

What I am actually trying to do is provoke debate and thought to encourage people to use all the London routes . The London City and Heathrow flights have been launched recently with underwriting from the IOMG government. The more people that use the flights the lower the cost to the island taxpayer and wider benefit of more people coming to the island because it’s easier .

Well if you want to provoke debate, you can't complain if people reply.  But other passengers are never going to reorganise their lives to suit you.  People may have all sorts of reasons to use a non-London airport: cost, timings, where they actually want to go to in London or the South East.  As I've said before I think these routes have been set up to fail, particularly given when they were launched and the fact they are competing against each other.  But you can't force people to use them.

Airline travel is miserable. I went to Dublin last week and had to throw a quarter-filled bottle of mouthwash away (which I'd carefully depleted to comply with presumed liquids rules). Had to go in the bin anyway as it's the size of the container as well as the amount of liquid. Coming back someone ahead of me at Dublin had to pour out a bottle of a milky soft drink (although the container was returned). I understand the need for airport security but the implementation of it seems completely senseless. I'd rather take the boat these days, and I hate boats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if you want to provoke debate, you can't complain if people reply.  But other passengers are never going to reorganise their lives to suit you.  People may have all sorts of reasons to use a non-London airport: cost, timings, where they actually want to go to in London or the South East.  As I've said before I think these routes have been set up to fail, particularly given when they were launched and the fact they are competing against each other.  But you can't force people to use them.

I don’t complain at people replying I think debate is healthy and always aim to think from others perspectives . There are lots of views regarding the airlines but it would be nice to see more positivity after all I am only seeking to help the island ! 

However debate should never result in rude offensive and derogatory  language at any level and that’s what I experienced this morning- totally unnecessary. 

• Like 2

On manx radio  news today 

"Staff at the airport have already been briefed on how to assist people with a new cashless parking system there." 

For goodness sake why on earth would anyone install a parking system that will then have to be explained to members of the public. 

It's a ground level parking lot. It's easy but this department have turned an easy everyday event into a nightmare. But I suppose its what they are good at, Road junctions, crossings, ordinary everyday things that worked well are totally f...d up by people wanting to make them complicated and different. I think a lot of the public have had enough of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

47 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Airline travel is miserable. I went to Dublin last week and had to throw a quarter-filled bottle of mouthwash away (which I'd carefully depleted to comply with presumed liquids rules). Had to go in the bin anyway as it's the size of the container as well as the amount of liquid. Coming back someone ahead of me at Dublin had to pour out a bottle of a milky soft drink (although the container was returned). I understand the need for airport security but the implementation of it seems completely senseless. I'd rather take the boat these days, and I hate boats.

That post says a lot about you Stu.

You have bad breath.... 🙂 

• Haha 5

Interestingly advert for staff , Caterleisure , at the Airport and they are looking for over 17 staff for cafe , WH Smith's and bar etc. Rates of pay £10 and a couple of posts at £10 .50. Good luck with that as £11 to £13 hr is getting offered in many similar areas.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

"DOI member with responsibility for ports, Tim Glover, says maintains the system is cheaper than installing new barriers:" 

The parking at the airport attracts fees in excess of £600,000 p.a. 

So they decide on the cheapest option rather than the right option. 

Millions wasted on the prom and every other major project.yet a relatively normal maintenance cost for a major profit stream is discounted. 

What again is the expression..........? Penny wise  pound foolish

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the app parking in the UK comes in for a hammering in the daily mail with thousands  of people who are not IT literate and elderly disenfranchised  ,  and now Esther Rantzon is also having a go , 

it seems foolish  to put all your eggs in one basket ,and not have alternate means of making a payment other than by an APP , I am just waiting for Manx net to go down one morning and wait for the total Chaos  at the airport ,

and for Tim Glovers benefit , how can it be the cheapest option , when you have to employ people to go around the carparks to physically log registrations into a system ,and also have a person on a desk in the airport taking money  or swiping payment cards , its the politics of the madhouse !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You don't need the app. You can pay at the info desk. 

When I went down there to have a look, I noticed two employees walking around with bin bags, picking up litter across the facility. Nice effort but I'm afraid the place needs a lot more than a quick litter run. There's also a new-ish sign that you have to park in the marked bays - if only all the lines hadn't faded and were almost invisible. They need to give the whole place a proper makeover. It's been totally neglected and I am seriously wondering just what exactly the previous management was being paid for, because it looks like the place hasn't been actively managed in any meaningful way in a long time. 

BA85BE38-2C3C-4355-BF45-18204F1B10D0.jpeg

39370511-F96B-4FDD-ACFC-DC8D458828A5.jpeg

23A97CEF-76C0-4AE3-9C48-0436E637A1B4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

You don't need the app. You can pay at the info desk. 

When I went down there to have a look, I noticed two employees walking around with bin bags, picking up litter across the facility. Nice effort but I'm afraid the place needs a lot more than a quick litter run. There's also a new-ish sign that you have to park in the marked bays - if only all the lines hadn't faded and were almost invisible. They need to give the whole place a proper makeover. It's been totally neglected and I am seriously wondering just what exactly the previous management was being paid for, because it looks like the place hasn't been actively managed in any meaningful way in a long time. 

Little point but on arriving back in December from Portugal my efforts , and other passengers also , to use the baggage trolleys was in vain. Gave up after trying 4 and finding all of them were faulty with rusted up wheels. Totally due to lack of maintenance . How long does it take to oil the wheels on say 40 trolleys?. 1 hour would see it done with a revisit later to give them a second go. Emailed Tim Glover that night and tbf he emailed me back saying he'd pass on to management but needless to say they were still the same in March . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Little point but on arriving back in December from Portugal my efforts , and other passengers also , to use the baggage trolleys was in vain. Gave up after trying 4 and finding all of them were faulty with rusted up wheels. Totally due to lack of maintenance . How long does it take to oil the wheels on say 40 trolleys?. 1 hour would see it done with a revisit later to give them a second go. Emailed Tim Glover that night and tbf he emailed me back saying he'd pass on to management but needless to say they were still the same in March . 

That’s what I mean. Total lack of even the most basic facility management. What were they getting paid for? What was the JD for the previous director and how was performance measured? 

• Like 2