Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

That’s what I mean. Total lack of even the most basic facility management. What were they getting paid for? What was the JD for the previous director and how was performance measured? 

I've said it ad nauseam  but, the previous 'Management' were not interested in managing, they were interested in 'developing', a completely different ethos and skill set. I hope the new guy is customer focused, and realises that not everything the customer needs costs millions, some of which costs very little but would make a huge difference.

I sincerely hope HR have got the appointment right this time as their mistakes have cost the airport badly !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

You don't need the app. You can pay at the info desk. 

When I went down there to have a look, I noticed two employees walking around with bin bags, picking up litter across the facility. Nice effort but I'm afraid the place needs a lot more than a quick litter run. There's also a new-ish sign that you have to park in the marked bays - if only all the lines hadn't faded and were almost invisible. They need to give the whole place a proper makeover. It's been totally neglected and I am seriously wondering just what exactly the previous management was being paid for, because it looks like the place hasn't been actively managed in any meaningful way in a long time. 

Bit like Douglas then.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/pilot-outlines-changes-required-to-upgrade-lighting-at-airport/

Truth and common sense spoken here !

Only issue is Reynolds was told she would be downgrading the approach minima !

It leaves you wondering what was the question which led to the answer of it being downgraded back in 2010 ! If correct it all appears to be very shortsighted. 

• Like 1

They need to install abut 400m of approach lights out into the sea to get the RVR required down to 550m from the current 1000m.

It can be further reduced to 300m using CAT2 approaches, that would require less approach lights but better lighting on the airfield itself.

For an airfield that is so prone to sea fog and low cloud, not to mention its importance as a lifeline link to the outside world, it beggars belief that the airport lacks the kit to allow the pilots to do their job to their potential.

I’ve operated into all of the UK’s commercial airports, big and small, and nowhere has basic lights like what we do.

It really is crap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

4 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It seems Reynolds and her deputy down tools during covid and were not held to account for the state the airport fell into, before swanning off to pastures new.

They were extra busy setting up and drumming up business for their new consultancy....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

They need to install abut 400m of approach lights out into the sea to get the RVR required down to 550m from the current 1000m.

It can be further reduced to 300m using CAT2 approaches, that would require less approach lights but better lighting on the airfield itself.

For an airfield that is so prone to sea fog and low cloud, not to mention its importance as a lifeline link to the outside world, it beggars belief that the airport lacks the kit to allow the pilots to do their job to their potential.

I’ve operated into all of the UK’s commercial airports, big and small, and nowhere has basic lights like what we do.

It really is crap.

Approach lights just weren't sexy enough for the growing CV, that needs large glittery projects, not some common sense and some basic maintenance of airport fixtures and fittings.

• Like 3