Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Interesting. The pay and display car park in Castletown is changing to one with barrier controlled access. 

Not quite sure how they are doing it though. As we all know from the airport getting such a system is impossible. 

That's just a rubbish old fashioned system that everybody uses. Barriers cost millions to install. It doesn't matter that they are reliable and people like them. What you need mate is an app. No problems ever, just look on trustpilot. 😂

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, emesde said:

That's just a rubbish old fashioned system that everybody uses. Barriers cost millions to install. It doesn't matter that they are reliable and people like them. What you need mate is an app. No problems ever, just look on trustpilot. 😂

difference here is DOI staff just couldn't be arsed and treat the general public with utter contempt  less work for them if everybody is forced to use the silly App  and those responsible for car parking  can sit on their rear ends all  day and be paid for doing nothing , time this cultural boil in government was lanced ,     As Esther Ranzen said in the mail   APP linked  parking is not the answer for those who are not IT literate    elderly   or do not own the latest i phone , so lets have some sense and have a range of options for the paying customers

• Like 3

On 3/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, Numbnuts said:

Well they have expensive new fire engines down there now so maybe they need a runway to justify the cost 

If the engine on my plane has a fire, or god forbid the thing crashes I’d rather them have a top of the range fire appliance to save us than some 15 year old bag of shit that won’t start in an emergency 

The old saying, better to have and not need, than need and not have 

34 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

If the engine on my plane has a fire, or god forbid the thing crashes I’d rather them have a top of the range fire appliance to save us than some 15 year old bag of shit that won’t start in an emergency 

The old saying, better to have and not need, than need and not have 

No bags of shit at the airport everything is gold plated  I doubt if the old fire trucks had more then a few thousand miles on them , they have boosters to start them are are probably run every watch , cant say the same for the luggage  trollies and the general state of the place , someone needs to ask what all these staff have been doing for the last couple of years , I am told working from home ,? whatever that means  when there were practically no flights , 

I heard today one executive supposed to be working from home was actually working from his second home in Spain  how do you work that one out 

27 minutes ago, Omobono said:

No bags of shit at the airport everything is gold plated  I doubt if the old fire trucks had more then a few thousand miles on them , they have boosters to start them are are probably run every watch , cant say the same for the luggage  trollies and the general state of the place , someone needs to ask what all these staff have been doing for the last couple of years , I am told working from home ,? whatever that means  when there were practically no flights , 

I heard today one executive supposed to be working from home was actually working from his second home in Spain  how do you work that one out 

It’s not about the mileage it’s about the age. Those Carmichaels are 15 years old and the company don’t exist anymore, so getting parts for it must be a challenge. The Iturri is the only one ever made, it was a prototype that someone stupidly thought was a great purchase because it was cheap. Every time it needs a part they’ve to pay extra for Iturri to make it first. 

Agreed that the state of the place is tarnished. Certainly needs a revamp, but Menzies are clearly not investing in any of the ground handling machinery and then asking government to bail them out financially when they can’t replace it, ie Ambulift!!! 

The new Director is walking into a shit show and I suspect he has no idea. Hopefully he likes a challenge and a long term project. 

God knows how you can work from Spain, but I didn’t think there was any senior management left there anyway, which is why the DOI CEO is the licence holder 

5 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

The new Director is walking into a shit show and I suspect he has no idea. Hopefully he likes a challenge and a long term project. 

The guy is only coming from Inverness, so he's hopefully done his own due diligence, before accepting the job, knows the score and already has a plan. If he's half decent, it won't be hard to make huge improvements on virtually every aspect of the operation in 2 to 3 years, without spending a fortune, and then use that as a stepping stone to a bigger and better job. 

If he does that, he can either leave, with our gratitude, or we make it worth his while to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SpunkCookie said:

The Iturri is the only one ever made, it was a prototype that someone stupidly thought was a great purchase because it was cheap. Every time it needs a part they’ve to pay extra for Iturri to make it first.

Sounds a bit like the new radar. Except that wasn't cheap.

Or a Chewing Gum Remover. Come to think of it, that wasn't cheap either.

Or a Cabbage.

Still counting on that one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Sounds a bit like the new radar. Except that wasn't cheap.

Or a Chewing Gum Remover. Come to think of it, that wasn't cheap either.

Or a Cabbage.

Still counting on that one.

Ahhhhh , that old chestnut ,the Cabbage . Don't think we will ever see that again in anger !.

Edited by Numbnuts

45 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Ahhhhh , that old chestnut ,the Cabbage . Don't think we will ever see that again in anger !.

I wonder if it'll meet the same fate as the chewing gum removal machine, stripped for parts and sold at auction?

Of course, Longworth would then insist on purchasing a working replacement, perhaps smaller this time?

Could be nicknamed The Brussel Sprout.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

I wonder if it'll meet the same fate as the chewing gum removal machine, stripped for parts and sold at auction?

Of course, Longworth would then insist on purchasing a working replacement, perhaps smaller this time?

Could be nicknamed The Brussel Sprout.

We just need a working replacement for Longworth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Great time of year for problems again.

EZY Bristol cancelled yesterday.

Looks like a Loganair ATR has gone tech again as MAN cancelled earlier and a replacement (half the size) Saab 340 is on the way from Abereeen.

The island needs better than this.

I don't think the atr is tech as LMTA flew this morning to bhx and came back and I have just flown on the other atr here LMTE and we were delayed whilst they waited for some cabin crew to arrive on the SAAB from ABZ. 

My guess is it is crew related today.

But somehow we need to get a reliable, affordable service and I am not sure EZY or LG  can provide that.

It looks like the EZY LGW will end up being cancelled tonight too. It really is not acceptable, where is hovis now?

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 3