Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

It looks like the EZY LGW will end up being cancelled tonight too. It really is not acceptable, where is hovis now?

easyJet tonight now cancelled, for the fourth time in a week. There are no seats from LGW available until Wednesday evening. This may be after all the passengers from this evening have been re-booked, but it gives them no wiggle room as they go into our busiest and most important period.

I know that this is all part of the general meltdown currently affecting easyJet, but it is a very poor show. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Nellie said:

easyJet tonight now cancelled, for the fourth time in a week. There are no seats from LGW available until Wednesday evening. This may be after all the passengers from this evening have been re-booked, but it gives them no wiggle room as they go into our busiest and most important period.

I know that this is all part of the general meltdown currently affecting easyJet, but it is a very poor show. 

Some of the Loganair services have been badly delayed as well which is not great . 

However the number of cancellations from EasyJet is appalling and whilst some posters like to point out it’s happening a lot at the moment on all air networks that does not make it acceptable in my view . I hope those that think EasyJet are the answer to the Isle of Man and can never do wrong in their eyes reflect on the current situation. Loganair continue to have some difficulties and need to improve but it’s nowhere near as bad as the EasyJet situation in my view . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IOM said:

Some of the Loganair services have been badly delayed as well which is not great . 

However the number of cancellations from EasyJet is appalling and whilst some posters like to point out it’s happening a lot at the moment on all air networks that does not make it acceptable in my view . I hope those that think EasyJet are the answer to the Isle of Man and can never do wrong in their eyes reflect on the current situation. Loganair continue to have some difficulties and need to improve but it’s nowhere near as bad as the EasyJet situation in my view . 

I concur that it is totally unacceptable. I imagine the the top people at easyJet, Lundgren (CEO) and Bellow (COO), must be fighting for their jobs, right now, as it is pretty clear they decided to run an over-optimistic flying programme, which exceeded their available resources. 

Their brand image, reputation and public trust is descending further and further into the toilet, each day. 

Against that back-drop it is really hard to see what our politicians and Doi/DoE officers can do to make sure that the TT travel us not disrupted further, but I hope they are trying, and banging on the right doors, everyday.

Beyond that, the problem will persist, that there are very few players in the UK domestic market who may be able to do better than the current incumbents. It is not an easy problem to solve.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I concur that it is totally unacceptable. I imagine the the top people at easyJet, Lundgren (CEO) and Bellow (COO), must be fighting for their jobs, right now, as it is pretty clear they decided to run an over-optimistic flying programme, which exceeded their available resources. 

Their brand image, reputation and public trust is descending further and further into the toilet, each day. 

Against that back-drop it is really hard to see what our politicians and Doi/DoE officers can do to make sure that the TT travel us not disrupted further, but I hope they are trying, and banging on the right doors, everyday.

Beyond that, the problem will persist, that there are very few players in the UK domestic market who may be able to do better than the current incumbents. It is not an easy problem to solve.

There will certainly be mixed feelings from Stelios after he tried to oust the management a couple of years ago, because he was worried about over-expansion, specifically purchasing more aircraft.  The family no longer have control, but still own about 15%.  Other shareholders may now regret backing the management, given the way the share price has gone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There will certainly be mixed feelings from Stelios after he tried to oust the management a couple of years ago, because he was worried about over-expansion, specifically purchasing more aircraft.  

I doubt his feelings will be 'mixed' !! 

I'd imagine that he'll be livid that a brand he had built, and his successors had consolidated, has been totally trashed in a few days.

It's interesting that Bellew (COO) was poached, at great expense and amid great acrimony, from Ryanair. Draw whatever conclusions you want, from that!!

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

Apparently no availability until Thursday, passengers are getting trains to Liverpool & boats tomorrow but days work lost plus hassle & costs 

Amsterdam Schipol is now asking airlines to cut flights by 30% for summer. 

And it’s not just EZY - TUI are having a bad time of it as well ( obviously they don’t fly to IOM). But as been mentioned many a time - so many staff were let go. They have moved on, found better paid jobs, with 9-5, no working weekends/ bank holidays etc. 

Working in the industry isn’t how it used to be. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

There should be a requirement to give priority to flights going to the islands when there’s little alternatives to get here, on the mainland at least you have trains, coaches etc

Airline’s will go where there is most money to be made . It’s why I dont  believe leaving the island to only EasyJet like some posters would want is in any way the right thing to do . Routes such as London should have a smaller operator ( currently Loganair) providing a reasonably frequent service and in addition EasyJet for casual travellers who don’t mind what time of day the flights are . 

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

There should be a requirement to give priority to flights going to the islands when there’s little alternatives to get here, on the mainland at least you have trains, coaches etc

Except the EZY plane serving a flight to the IoM isn’t a dedicated one off. It fits in the IoM in the middle, or at the end, of the days rotations.

Decisions to cancel the IoM flight aren’t taken on their own, except, maybe, when they run out of Ronaldsway operational hours. EZY operate a plane at least 16 and probably 18-20 hours a day, with up to three successive crews.

So, if the first flight of the day gets cancelled due to load factor, tech, crew not showing, it just knocks on. Our last plane may well be going on somewhere else.

The roster for crewing and aircraft, so they’re in the right place at the right time is planned months ahead. And it’s less easy after Brexit, due to where planes are registered and where, as a result they can fly.

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There will certainly be mixed feelings from Stelios after he tried to oust the management a couple of years ago, because he was worried about over-expansion, specifically purchasing more aircraft.  The family no longer have control, but still own about 15%.  Other shareholders may now regret backing the management, given the way the share price has gone.

EZE is going the same way as the old FlyBe and we all know how that ended. Chasing rainbows instead of concentrating on consolidating what they know will work and providing the resources to meet that operation.

• Like 2

The original reason Easyjet came to the island was connected with levels of discount applied when putting bums through UK airports. I am reliably told we were the closest place to supply the few numbers needed to move them to a new lower level of fees. Whatever the case, in terms of the Easy operation we are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and will always be first to sustain any knock on issues for the availability of aircraft.

I am well aware of the economics of aviation and the lo cost airline model here simply does not work, unless subsidised either by the rest of the operation or by the taxpayer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, asitis said:

The original reason Easyjet came to the island was connected with levels of discount applied when putting bums through UK airports. I am reliably told we were the closest place to supply the few numbers needed to move them to a new lower level of fees. Whatever the case, in terms of the Easy operation we are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and will always be first to sustain any knock on issues for the availability of aircraft.

I am well aware of the economics of aviation and the lo cost airline model here simply does not work, unless subsidised either by the rest of the operation or by the taxpayer.

It's actually a nice little earner if they can get the turnaround fast enough (at both ends).  If you look at the fares that they charge to elsewhere they're often similar for a longer journey time and with decent loading it's basically profit after fuel and taxes if they fit it into/on existing rotations.  But it relies on the rest of the model working, if that falls apart it's not enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1