Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

On the EAsy jet website the earliest bookable flight from Gatwick to the IOM is Thursday morning at the bargain price of £182 . 

But that is comparable to fares 20 odd years ago with Manx Airlines.

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But that is comparable to fares 20 odd years ago with Manx Airlines.

You are right. I used to travel to London and elsewhere in the course of my job and it could be a lot lot more than that.

But since then airfares (like the price of televisions) have tumbled due to low cost operatives entering the market

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You are right. I used to travel to London and elsewhere in the course of my job and it could be a lot lot more than that.

But since then airfares (like the price of televisions) have tumbled due to low cost operatives entering the market

In those days, the fares were consistent, covered baggage and the flights had a reliable timetable.  I lived in the "deep south" then and, TBH, the cost was not prohibitive because I only planned to come home perhaps once or twice a year. 

Times and expectations have changed, I suppose.

• Like 2

https://www.businessinsider.com/norse-atlantic-airways-airline-pilot-applications-despite-labor-shortage-aircrew-2022-5

The problem isn't so much the shortage of workforce in aviation. Its the backlog.

Last year the UK Gov introduced a legal requirement for any and all personnel that have airside access at airports to require enhanced background checks. This is massively slowing down the process of getting new staff on boarded. They are trained and ready to start, but waiting for the Government to rubber stamp them to get their airside passes.

Edited by NoTailT

Slightly off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread:

I'm flying with Logan Air to Manchester on Thursday morning, and then onwards to Dubai with Emirates three hours later. I will only be carrying hand luggage. Is there any way of connecting between flights without going through security in Manchester? I remember doing it years ago with FlyBe-Etihad, but I think that was a codeshare & pre-Covid.

12 minutes ago, germann said:

I'm flying with Logan Air to Manchester on Thursday morning, and then onwards to Dubai with Emirates three hours later. I will only be carrying hand luggage. Is there any way of connecting between flights without going through security in Manchester? I remember doing it years ago with FlyBe-Etihad, but I think that was a codeshare & pre-Covid.

Loganair T3, Emirates T1. No internal connections atm, there used to be an airside bus for connections as I remember, but no more. You'll need to exit and walk through the sheltered walkway to T1 and back through security.

50 minutes ago, germann said:

I don't think so now , you used to be able to go from terminal 3 as a transit passenger  to your international terminal, but the last time I flew you had to go out past baggage and security  , and start again , its worth asking thought with all the backlog of passengers you would think anyone who is already security checked  from the isle of man , would ease the situation  , and prevent double handling  but  sadly the UK authorities don't seem to think like that 

1 hour ago, germann said:

Lucky to make connection with only 3 hours! Suggest buy fast track to try & bypass some of queues, it’s a 15 minutes walk from arrivals hall T3 to T1 departures

1 hour ago, germann said:

You used to be able to go through the transit lounge rather than back out through security. 

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

You’re lucky you don’t have hold  baggage, as you’d have to collect it off the Loganair flight, and check it in again. 

They have code share with many airlines as friends recently had a though flight with Qatar but don’t know with Emirates 

Just now, Banker said:

They have code share with many airlines as friends recently had a though flight with Qatar but don’t know with Emirates 

There is no through checked baggage at Manchester at the moment ( unless domestic to domestic).