Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Did they sort out the issue for private planes in the end? There have been quite a few landing the last couple of days.

it wasn't private planes exactly, it was planes under 4.5 tons were not welcome.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:30 PM, cheesypeas said:

Through Heathrow or BHX yes. Not through Manchester. FFS, I’m dealing with this every day. Stick to banking. 

Correct.  Also can check bags in through to final destination  via Dublin.

So avoid a transit in Manchester and it works fine .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NoTailT said:

There is no advantage to this type of approach over Cat 1 ILS, the minima will be no lower, so nothing will change. 

This type of system could  be of benefit to small rural airports who would not be able to justify that expense based on low levels of traffic. However, the type of aircraft which use these smaller airports will likely be unable to use this system anyway, it would likely only be useable for larger aircraft when selecting alternates.

No UK airline or indeed operator is equipped or has crew trained to fly this type of approach as far as I’m aware.

In my opinion, pursuing such a system would be  a complete waste of time and money unless the lights are upgraded, because nothing will change over what we have now.  

easyJet cancelled last night's Gatwick again, leaving 180+ stranded at each end. Hardly any seats available, in either direction until Wednesday. No idea where the passengers leaving the Island would have found accommodation last night. 

Usual statement from easyJet "Not our fault, sort yourselves out...." (I paraphrase, but the gist is clear).

You really get the impression that easyJet Operations, Revenue Management and Customer Service people don't talk to each other. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Nellie said:

easyJet cancelled last night's Gatwick again, leaving 180+ stranded at each end. Hardly any seats available, in either direction until Wednesday. No idea where the passengers leaving the Island would have found accommodation last night. 

And in the other direction I think those leaving London would have also been hard pressed to find accommodation  ( at least at reasonable rates) given what’s going on there this weekend.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Usual statement from easyJet "Not our fault, sort yourselves out...." (I paraphrase, but the gist is clear).

You really get the impression that easyJet Operations, Revenue Management and Customer Service people don't talk to each other. 

I notice there has been no comment from all those posters who think EasyJet are so wonderful and believe they are the answer to the island .  And for the record I think Loganair have had issues too but nothing compared to the EasyJet shambles. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IOM said:

I notice there has been no comment from all those posters who think EasyJet are so wonderful and believe they are the answer to the island .  And for the record I think Loganair have had issues too but nothing compared to the EasyJet shambles. 

It wouldn't be as bad if the airport sorted out the ATC shambles.

easyjet have been requesting extensions to airport opening - at their cost - and being refused because ATC is 'overworked'.

There's are delays everywhere. Every operator. Every airport is a shambles, causing knock ons everywhere at the moment.

But our airport closing at 10pm is a bit of a joke. Its the DOI ruining peoples TT, not the airlines.

Edited by NoTailT

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And in the other direction I think those leaving London would have also been hard pressed to find accommodation  ( at least at reasonable rates) given what’s going on there this weekend.

Probably a fair comment, although from Gatwick, they can use hotels in Croydon, Brighton and all points in between, rather than in London itself.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

easyjet have been requesting extensions to airport opening - at their cost - and being refused because ATC is 'overworked'.

There's are delays everywhere. Every operator. Every airport is a shambles, causing knock ons everywhere at the moment.

But our airport closing at 10pm is a bit of a joke. Its the DOI ruining peoples TT, not the airlines.

But, easyJet choose to schedule their evening flight to leave the Island 10 minutes before the planned closure time of the airport, (21.05 and 21.15) and they know that extensions after 22.00 are a bit hit and miss.

So the lack of wiggle room in the schedule is an operational issue and risk which easyJet are creating themselves. In the Winter, the equivalent flight leaves at 19.55, so there is seldom a problem.

The other aspect where they seem very poor, is understanding the impact of cancellations. easyJet have multiple daily departures to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast etc. so recovery from a cancellation is easier, and passengers have other options, such as alternative airlines, rail or even car hire. The IOM is different, and maybe, on occasions, they should be more proactive switching resources.

I know it is probably more complex than I see it, but right now, they seem to have no operational resilience and little problem solving capability.

Hopefully, when the new guy arrives at Ronaldsway, in August, he'll be able to establish something more like a partnership with EZY, and help them understand, and mitigate, the problems they are causing, while still valuing the upsides of having them operating here.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Sorry but I think it’s not unreasonable to expect a company to provide the service it is paid for . I really don’t understand why people seem so unforgiving of airlines . And I think it’s wholly unreasonable to blame government in this case they have clearly mapped out the airport opening times and even allow for variation in the evening from time to time . For so many of you it’s far too easy to blame government and not the likes of EasyJet! And yes before another poster wants to comment on it’s the same problem everywhere I am not interested. If you pay for a service you should expect a service - end of ! 

• Like 1