Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Some of the airlines have sold more tickets than they have operational capability for and that’s where the problem lies . In any other industry such behaviour and poor service would not be tolerated I just don’t get why people seem to think it’s all ok and it is what it is ! The airlines should be held to account for this disgraceful situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

But it’s not just easyJet, it’s chaos across Europe including Dublin, Amsterdam etc. Wizzair , BA, KLM are all cancelling flights 

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/06/01/dublin-schiphol-manchester-who-s-to-blame-for-europe-s-airport-chaos-and-what-are-your-rig

i would be more concerned about Logan air whose proportion of cancellations compared to flights operated is higher 

I think you've rather missed the point. We all know that many airlines and airports are being impacted, to different degrees. 

I was high-lighting that easyJet are not as well placed to ride out the storm and the aftermath, as others, and they are vulnerable, as a consequence.

Consolidation of the European low-cost market has been widely predicted since 2020. When that kicks off, easyJet will be a zebra, rather than a lion! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Nellie said:

I think you've rather missed the point. We all know that many airlines and airports are being impacted, to different degrees. 

I was high-lighting that easyJet are not as well placed to ride out the storm and the aftermath, as others, and they are vulnerable, as a consequence.

Consolidation of the European low-cost market has been widely predicted since 2020. When that kicks off, easyJet will be a zebra, rather than a lion! 

I think you’ve missed point that easyJet are financially strong with market cap of c£4bn & plenty of cash in hand before air travel took off again 3/4 months ago so will be even stronger now 

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

I think you’ve missed point that easyJet are financially strong with market cap of c£4bn & plenty of cash in hand before air travel took off again 3/4 months ago so will be even stronger now 

They’ll have been running at a loss in Q2, like everyone else. EZY have two issues.

1. Airport staffing issues.

2. their own staffing issues.

WIZZ have expanded rapidly since covid, now have 6700 staff as opposed to 4000 before. They’re hit by airports. Lost €650 million in Q1. Won’t give a profit/loss forecast  for 22/23 yea

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

Looking at movements over the last 24 hours, as per that link, it is. However they do rotate the individual aircraft based here, so it's not a permanent allocation.

I was wondering if they're getting tech services from our on-Island companies.

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I was wondering if they're getting tech services from our on-Island companies.

I'd imagine they have a deal for 'Line Maintenance' from the guys down there (I forget their name) as Stobart and Flybe used to, and it must be essential to have that level of engineering support in a remote base.

Looks like things have improved at the airport today one or two delays but no cancellations as has been experienced recently. 
Let’s hope it remains like that and the island gets a better ongoing service from Loganair and EasyJet. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

And Wizz, despite taking on many more staff, is starting to suffer the same.

Just now, John Wright said:

And Wizz, despite taking on many more staff, is starting to suffer the same.

On BBC News this morning they were reporting on the airport staff recruitment issues (Bristol Airport I think it was). It seems that not a great deal of the 30,000 people who were let go during covid have chosen to come vaccine. Obviously some did, but a large number have found other work.