Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, Whatnonsence said:

What about those inside the airport where were they evacuated too given the huge exclusion area around the airport?

Perhaps there are two aspects to be considered: to keep people away from the blast area (probably not too far unless it was a truck bomb), and if there was an explosion to keep the roads around the airport free for access by multiple  fire and ambulance vehicles.

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It would seem to be another example of either a lack of an emergency response plan, or ignoring it if it exists.  Surely the airport has a response plan to deal with such incidents? 

They said they had an emergency protocol and followed it. Is an emergency protocol the same as an emergency response plan? And isn’t it usual to review how it worked after an implementation?

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They said they had an emergency protocol and followed it. Is an emergency protocol the same as an emergency response plan? And isn’t it usual to review how it worked after an implementation?

Yes, it is, but what was the plan for the people on the airside?  How was the communication so poor?  A firewall issue apparently.

Perhaps I was being harsh, but it does seem like the plan didn't quite hit the spot. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

A likely story. And even if it was the worst-configured firewall in the history of the world, it still wouldn't have stopped updates being issued on Twitter and Facebook.

They were issued on twitter and FB

21 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

A likely story. And even if it was the worst-configured firewall in the history of the world, it still wouldn't have stopped updates being issued on Twitter and Facebook.

They did a bit on Facebook, but all a bit belated.  You get the impression that no one is in charge - but that's no change.

I love the way that whenever anything goes wrong with anything that might involve GTS, no matter how inept or implausible the story, everyone just shrugs their shoulders and accepts it.

Edited to add:  The Twitter contribution (the first since February) consisted of a single re-tweet from the police.  This page is manned during office hours by operational staff apparently.  Though not too diligently it seems.  

Edited by Roger Mexico

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

An American lady on MR said that they were herded onto the tarmac and waited over two hours standing there!

Yes, I had rels involved too. They were apparently moved into a bus that went nowhere for some considerable period of time. At least they would have been out of any rain though.

11 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Rozzers say package continues to be assessed.

Does this translate to 'we are waiting for UK experts'? @Derek Flint

This could have gone on forever. Looks like a protocol - driven over reaction. Needs someone on the ground to make a pragmatic risk and threat assessment and  decision.

Takes Cojones 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

An American lady on MR said that they were herded onto the tarmac and waited over two hours standing there!

You have to wonder about proportionality here. I’ve never seen tens of thousands of people herded out of Gatwick into the carparks when someone’s rampant rabbit goes off at security. Yet at a small regional airport we go automatically to DEFCON 5 and clear the whole building, shut down all the IT feeds, and tell people to come nowhere near the place for hours. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, Newsdesk said:

You have to wonder about proportionality here. I’ve never seen tens of thousands of people herded out of Gatwick into the carparks when someone’s rampant rabbit goes off at security. Yet at a small regional airport we go automatically to DEFCON 5 and clear the whole building, shut down all the IT feeds, and tell people to come nowhere near the place for hours. 

It will have been the first bit of excitement their fire crews have had in years!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Question is why would any person or organisation want to bomb the Isle of Man? That in itself makes it a bit of an overreaction. Said terrorist would have to fly here to do it and the chances are his/her flight would be cancelled anyway so they’d be stuck in a Premier Inn at Gatwick or something.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

20 years ago when Al Quaeda were the terrorist threat after 9/11 and some people supposedly had ricin poison posted to them, half a street in Douglas was locked down after somebody in an office noticed some white powder under a fire extinguisher on a wall IIRC?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

20 years ago when Al Quaeda were the terrorist threat after 9/11 and some people supposedly had ricin poison posted to them, half a street in Douglas was locked down after somebody in an office noticed some white powder under a fire extinguisher on a wall IIRC?

Funny you should mention that, but shortly after 9/11, at my job at the time (in the UK)  a pamphlet issued by a group supporting Kashmir independence was received by the post room.  Because it wasn't addressed to a specific department, it ended up in my department (which was "the dept where stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere goes").  We opened it and the pamphlet had some pretty graphic photos of Kashmiri deaths and mutilations and some equally extreme text.   It was reported and taken away by the police.  The worry at the time was anthrax, but all was OK if not a little disturbing. 

After that I searched the Internet for latex gloves.  You would be surprised with the results!

• Haha 1