Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Did Gov tender for the app?

Who is to say a local developer company couldn't make Gov their own parking app for a lesser investment than the commissions to RingGo, if an app is indeed the solution. Just curious.

But Government dont like local developed apps.!! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I suspect were going to see more privatisation and outsourcing rather than less. It's a quick easy way to shift the problem functions off the govt books to the private sector. As you say it will just cause bigger problems further down the line but those driven by a right wing ideology seldom look further than the 5 year political cycle.

Probably better replying to this on a DoI thread (which really is what I should have done with my original comment), but I can't see it lasting five months at the moment, never mind five years.  Most outsourcing will just go to big multinationals such as Menzies who won't provide the services (as everyone complains at the moment) but will have enough clout and legal guile to prevent improvement without massive extra payments.  And of course outsourcing is always a good excuse to increase management as we saw with the corporatisation of Manx Care.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/nine-of-171-flights-cancelled-during-the-tt-fortnight-551356

Only Nine! Seemed a lot more than that. I am guessing therefore this doesn't include flights rolled forward to next morning, or perhaps even flights into the Island?

I wonder if it depends on how you define cancellation.  According to the way the CAA does for its statistics as "the non-operation of a previously planned flight, announced less than 24 hours before or after its scheduled departure time”.  However in the Keys Cannan did say regarding TT fortnight:

in terms of the numbers of flights over the last fortnight, that 71 flights by easyJet were scheduled, 66 of those flights operated and five flights were cancelled. Loganair had 100 flights scheduled, 96 of those flights operated and four flights were cancelled.

Which sounds like it included those cancelled further before as well as merged flights.  Though not those carried forward unless they were also merged.  If someone can produce a list it would be interesting.

20 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

A friend booked on Easyjet to Mch at 9 20am ..

options , there are none bar trying to get the boat then find away to get to Manchester . Not on . 

IMG_1900.JPG

Technical issue. Book Loganair if possible. Claim the £220 and claim the Loganair fare

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Probably better replying to this on a DoI thread (which really is what I should have done with my original comment), but I can't see it lasting five months at the moment, never mind five years.  Most outsourcing will just go to big multinationals such as Menzies who won't provide the services (as everyone complains at the moment) but will have enough clout and legal guile to prevent improvement without massive extra payments.  And of course outsourcing is always a good excuse to increase management as we saw with the corporatisation of Manx Care.

Yeah, the first thing these companies do is to get their lawyers to scrutinise the contracts for loopholes, anything to exploit. I've seen that first hand, working for a firm in England taking on local authority contracts. To the point where moving a bench, that had been used as a goalpost by kids, back to it's original place incurred a cost, as it wasn't in the contract. 

Another cancellation today this time the Loganair Heathrow flight. The morning London City was operating and currently the afternoon is shown as being to schedule so not sure what's gone wrong here. People need certainty over flights this level of service is not acceptable.

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Another cancellation today this time the Loganair Heathrow flight. The morning London City was operating and currently the afternoon is shown as being to schedule so not sure what's gone wrong here. People need certainty over flights this level of service is not acceptable.

...add in the UK train strikes wow factor this week...and it's chaos. I've put off a trip this week.

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The companies providing the outsourced services will only be obliged to carry out what they are contracted to do. I suspect the issue with the lift for mobility compromised passengers was that the asset was/is owned by the Airport (DOI). I'm sure Menzies would be able to provide a replacement but their contract would most likely need amending. Equipment such as that lift don't grow on trees.

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The companies providing the outsourced services will only be obliged to carry out what they are contracted to do. I suspect the issue with the lift for mobility compromised passengers was that the asset was/is owned by the Airport (DOI). I'm sure Menzies would be able to provide a replacement but their contract would most likely need amending. Equipment such as that lift don't grow on trees.

The new ambulift was working on Friday. It sat there unused for 6+ months because no one had been trained.

They still haven’t got the set up correct.

Despite the fact that there’s space for it to pick up service users just outside the holding lounge and drive to the plane they park it by the plane.

I fold my chair in the holding lounge and then put it in the protective carry case.

Then I’ve got to stagger to the ambulift. 

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Outsourcing and privatisation isn't the issue. It's the poor quality of outsourcing and Privatisation that is the issue. 

Contracts with no meaningful penalty clauses etc.

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The new ambulift was working on Friday. It sat there unused for 6+ months because no one had been trained.

They still haven’t got the set up correct.

Despite the fact that there’s space for it to pick up service users just outside the holding lounge and drive to the plane they park it by the plane.

I fold my chair in the holding lounge and then put it in the protective carry case.

Then I’ve got to stagger to the ambulift. 

I’m sure there’s something that they can’t drive on apron with passengers in it. Don’t quote me on that, I know there’s one or two airports where they aren’t allowed to do it etc. 

I remember when the departure lounge was opened in the 90’s.. the gates were built with option of an air bridge to be added at a later date if aircraft type permitted. 
Certainly would make boarding those with reduced mobility a bit more easier experience. Granted no use on the Logan aircraft. But definitely for the EMB170/ A319/320 etc 

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Probably to do with this as they use Terminal 2.

https://news.sky.com/story/heathrow-asks-airlines-to-cancel-10-of-flights-today-as-airport-faces-baggage-backlog-12637228