Airport.

Billy kettlefish

26 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

I ain’t going anywhere by air until next year.   I’ll be taking the boat and driving if I feel my human rights are being eroded by not being able to go Shagaloof for 14 nights.

What's wrong with the local hookers? 

On 6/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, swoopy2110 said:

Strange this evenings LGW is cancelled as the AC looks to be getting back into LGW from Belfast on time.

The Gatwick evening flight has been particularly unreliable more so than normal this year since it moved to the later departure. Although I'm sure they'll say its more down their overall flying schedule all over Europe being disturpted.

Booked on it in a couple on Sunday's time inbound. Not sure how confident to feel !

Came back last night on the delayed LGW flight. It was looking close to cancellation! Didn't take off from LGW until 21.15 and landed just before 22.10. The captain said they had to get LGW to give them a slot 'as soon as they were ready for it'  and pointed out there wasn't much more room for delay, presumably otherwise it would've been cancelled.

The A/C was late in from Belfast but sat at the gate for around half an hour before busses turned up to take pax to the domestic exit which then delayed us getting on. I wasn't feeling confident when they said the new ETD was 20.55.

At least they operated it though.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The companies providing the outsourced services will only be obliged to carry out what they are contracted to do. I suspect the issue with the lift for mobility compromised passengers was that the asset was/is owned by the Airport (DOI). I'm sure Menzies would be able to provide a replacement but their contract would most likely need amending. Equipment such as that lift don't grow on trees.

That's one of the underlying problems with outsourcing - that it takes so long to get things done as every decision has to wind its way though two competing bureaucracies and sets of lawyers.  But there's an additional problem with doing it here, which is that most of the companies outsourced to are off-Island and maybe not even run from the UK.  So the bureaucracy is even more torturous and less susceptible to local pressure.

The more immediate problem is that the outsourcing model assumes a workforce that is prepared to work very flexible hours, move around between jobs and work for low pay.  Which we don't have - and haven't for years.

18 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Came back last night on the delayed LGW flight. It was looking close to cancellation! Didn't take off from LGW until 21.15 and landed just before 22.10. The captain said they had to get LGW to give them a slot 'as soon as they were ready for it'  and pointed out there wasn't much more room for delay, presumably otherwise it would've been cancelled.

The A/C was late in from Belfast but sat at the gate for around half an hour before busses turned up to take pax to the domestic exit which then delayed us getting on. I wasn't feeling confident when they said the new ETD was 20.55.

At least they operated it though.

I was already planning for a night in London. 

1 hour ago, flyingpeelman said:

I’m sure there’s something that they can’t drive on apron with passengers in it. Don’t quote me on that, I know there’s one or two airports where they aren’t allowed to do it etc. 

I remember when the departure lounge was opened in the 90’s.. the gates were built with option of an air bridge to be added at a later date if aircraft type permitted. 
Certainly would make boarding those with reduced mobility a bit more easier experience. Granted no use on the Logan aircraft. But definitely for the EMB170/ A319/320 etc 

They drove with the old one from plane to terminal entrance

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Heathrow flight canceled due to lack of baggage handlers at heathrow, why couldn’t they fly but say no hold luggage!

What do you do if you have hold luggage?   How long ahead of the flight was it cancelled? 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Heathrow flight canceled due to lack of baggage handlers at heathrow, why couldn’t they fly but say no hold luggage!

You're not understanding what is happening.  Heathrow has asked airlines to cancel 10% of flights today because of a baggage backlog.  It's not just about the Isle of Man or particular flights, but the overall load.

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

What's wrong with the local hookers? 

Do we even have any over here?

If so, how do I contact them?

Could do with speaking to a couple, as I am err, making a documentary about the streets of Douglas.

Cheers,

Rob C................owin.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I thought they were currently only using another airlines slots anyway?.

Lots of airlines apply for slots in their own right but don’t get any or all of them awarded.

The IOM slots are awarded directly to LM in the last allocations.

They have - on other routes - been using some BA slots. But I imagine BA is going to want them back come next year.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The IOM slots are awarded directly to LM in the last allocations.

They have - on other routes - been using some BA slots. But I imagine BA is going to want them back come next year.

Whilst it is nice to have access to LHR for connections, now the Elizabeth line is almost fully open connecting via LCY has become a lot easier although 3 a day with an ATR72 is probably too much for there.

• Like 1