Airport.

Billy kettlefish

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

In my experience A relocation package is pretty standard for any role if you want to attract people from off Island.

Slight tweak

Yup - I had one when I moved over in '95 and it wasn't even a senior role

48 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

In my experience A relocation package is pretty standard for any role if you want to attract people from off Island.

Slight tweak

Yup just been offered one myself from an Isle of Man based business. 

Don't worry it's a private company , I am not taking tax payers money... yet 😉

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Yup - I had one when I moved over in '95 and it wasn't even a senior role

As far as I know people who come over  also get a national insurance holiday for a year.

And there used to be a mortgage/ rental allowance for 2 years or so paid every month to cover additional costs here . Not sure what the upper limit is ..Was £250 or so 15 years ago when a friend of mine moved over.  Could be more now.

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

As far as I know people who come over  also get a national insurance holiday for a year.

And there used to be a mortgage/ rental allowance for 2 years or so paid every month to cover additional costs here . Not sure what the upper limit is ..Was £250 or so 15 years ago when a friend of mine moved over.  Could be more now.

I think the £10k has to cover everything now

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I think the £10k has to cover everything now

It's up to £10k and seems to be in line with the DFE relocation scheme. 10k is the cap but its max 20% of annual salary I think, which this obviously caps out at.

I don't see why Gov employees should be any different to private sector to be honest. They're looking at how they recoup the 10k in tax and NI over a set period, that's hoe they quantify it. Not like Gov employees don't pay tax and NI too... It's highly appropriate a credible candidate for this important job is supported to relocate. Not like they're moving from Manchester to Leeds. It's going to cost them a fortune to travel back across and see family, hard to attract, just as DHA is finding for the CC post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Seems easyJet are blaming Iom airport at least partly  for late Gatwicks being cancelled 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/easyjet-blames-air-traffic-delay-and-airport-curfew-for-cancelled-flight/

The "Airport Curfew" is due to the operational hours limitations of Air Traffic Control and has always been 11pm as a cut off. The fact that Easyjet schedule their flights for later than 2100 each evening (the published IOM Airport closing time is 2045) means that when there are delays then they get closer and closer to the curfew time. The "Air Traffic Delays" are at the Gatwick side of things due to capacity and nothing to do with the airport here. Obviously if the delay means the aircraft couldn't fly here, turn around and then be back on its way to Gatwick before 11pm then Easyjet just cancel the flight. The last thing they want is an aircraft stuck at Ronaldsway overnight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Giggleberrys said:

The "Airport Curfew" is due to the operational hours limitations of Air Traffic Control and has always been 11pm as a cut off. The fact that Easyjet schedule their flights for later than 2100 each evening (the published IOM Airport closing time is 2045) means that when there are delays then they get closer and closer to the curfew time. The "Air Traffic Delays" are at the Gatwick side of things due to capacity and nothing to do with the airport here. Obviously if the delay means the aircraft couldn't fly here, turn around and then be back on its way to Gatwick before 11pm then Easyjet just cancel the flight. The last thing they want is an aircraft stuck at Ronaldsway overnight.

You are correct Giggleberrys.

Its worth stressing that the aircraft in the story (Saturday) COULD have made it to the IOM well before the "curfew", but the airline made a decision that there was a possibility that it would not get airborne back to its home base before IOM airport closure. They therefore elected to inconvenience BOTH inbound and outbound passengers to suit their own needs. 

One further useful snippet is that a considerable amount of pain is currently being generated by Gatwick Airport having the runway resurfaced from 9pm over each night. This results in the Northern runway (not normally used as such) being brought into service. This results in traffic stopping temporarily at changeover and then a reduced rate for landings and take offs. 
As a result, in the past few weeks, even if the aircraft has arrived anything close to on time in the IOM, it has been delayed going back. This is probably why Easyjet won't take the chance of posting it from LGW to IOM in case, as Giggleberrys says, it gets stuck here. 

7 hours ago, Banker said:

Seems easyJet are blaming Iom airport at least partly  for late Gatwicks being cancelled 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/easyjet-blames-air-traffic-delay-and-airport-curfew-for-cancelled-flight/

They are using the wrong terminology.

A curfew is a typically restriction put on an airport by the local authority to keep the noise down for the locals to allow them to sleep between certain hours. It often only applies to jet aircraft.

Ronaldsway Airport does not have a curfew - it has finite staff resources which make it a challenge to stay open after the scheduled closing time. As we all know, ATC staff have limits on how long they can work, and how long they must have off after each shift.

It's not Ronaldsway's fault, but EasyJet's for running so late. Perhaps their scheduling needs to change to take account of the fact that Ronaldsway shuts and arrange for the last flight to come here earlier. 

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

They are using the wrong terminology.

A curfew is a typically restriction put on an airport by the local authority to keep the noise down for the locals to allow them to sleep between certain hours. It often only applies to jet aircraft.

Ronaldsway Airport does not have a curfew - it has finite staff resources which make it a challenge to stay open after the scheduled closing time. As we all know, ATC staff have limits on how long they can work, and how long they must have off after each shift.

It's not Ronaldsway's fault, but EasyJet's for running so late. Perhaps their scheduling needs to change to take account of the fact that Ronaldsway shuts and arrange for the last flight to come here earlier. 

as we have our own ANO can't the regs re ATC bods be altered ?  it's not they're actually over worked and need the time off they currently have.

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

as we have our own ANO can't the regs re ATC bods be altered ?  it's not they're actually over worked and need the time off they currently have.

That would be a very bad idea, even if it could be done.

Much better have more staff and/or an airline that had the IOM as it's priority.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

That would be a very bad idea, even if it could be done.

Much better have more staff and/or an airline that had the IOM as it's priority.

i agree with the more staff, but the bean counters have spoken.