Airport.

Billy kettlefish

25 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Actually, Emerald, who run the Aer Lingus Regional franchise have built up their business, and network, gradually and smoothly since taking over from Stobart. Yes, their IOM-Dublin schedule isn't perfect, but it is pretty reliable compared to Loganair.

Maybe IOMG should be talking to them about basing some ATR's here and running the key routes currently in the hands of the 'Scottish Airline'?

There maybe some EU cross border issues to overcome, but they need to find a credible alternative to the current shower, as the current situation simply can't go on. 

Would there be cross-border issues? I thought they/we are part of the CTA? Perhaps for onwards travel maybe but isn't the CTA a guarantee of zero paperwork?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Would there be cross-border issues? I thought they/we are part of the CTA? Perhaps for onwards travel maybe but isn't the CTA a guarantee of zero paperwork?

It's more to do with Emerald being licensed in an EU country. Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Wizz etc have all had to obtain UK AOC's and register a few aircraft in the UK for the purposes of operating flights within the UK, or flights that originate in the UK and don't go to the EU (Manchester to the US, for example).

I don't know the answer, but I don't think and EU/Irish airline could freely operate IOM to MAN/LPL/LCY etc. 

Anyway, at this stage, things are such a mess that DoI and DoE should be looking ay all options to get rid of Loganair, as quickly as possible. 

20 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It's more to do with Emerald being licensed in an EU country. Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Wizz etc have all had to obtain UK AOC's and register a few aircraft in the UK for the purposes of operating flights within the UK, or flights that originate in the UK and don't go to the EU (Manchester to the US, for example).

I don't know the answer, but I don't think and EU/Irish airline could freely operate IOM to MAN/LPL/LCY etc. 

Anyway, at this stage, things are such a mess that DoI and DoE should be looking ay all options to get rid of Loganair, as quickly as possible. 

They can't carry fare paying passengers on UK domestic routes without applying regularly for licenses to do so. It's costly and prohibitive, even EU registered jets can't be chartered for UK domestic legs.

It gives a real monoploy for likes of Eastern and Loganair in terms of thinner routes requring regional aircraft. Fares pegged high and quality of service low.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I may be being niaive,and it may have been covered before, but wouldn’t  ( or more likely, shouldn’t) the Government subsidy to Loganair been subject to minimum service levels?

At least on some sort of sliding scale?

You would think so, but It's much more likely that it is heavily skewed towards Loganair, being allowed to do whatever they want, without any penalty. It's only tax-payers money, after all. 

Of course, our CS friends will pull the old 'commercial confidentiality' card out if anyone asks a tricky question, on the topic.

Just now, Nellie said:

You would think so, but It's much more likely that it is heavily skewed towards Loganair, being allowed to do whatever they want, without any penalty. It's only tax-payers money, after all. 

Of course, our CS friends will pull the old 'commercial confidentiality' card out if anyone asks a tricky question, on the topic.

This is why I constantly call in the question the underwrite. It should have been structured as a PSO which has such metrics attached to it and available to the open market. Instead, it was a shoe-in and poorly structured. It resembles to me a lot of what happend to Carlisle and Newquay airports with Loganair (As I've said prior). Once the pot is empty, the routes will disappear.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, NoTailT said:
Manchester LM693 09:30

Delayed 11:25

11:25 came and went a while ago. No sign of any movement yet!

According to FR24, both early flights tomorrow (12th), to LPL and LCY, are already cancelled. This implies that they expect to have no serviceable aircraft, or insufficient crew to operate them. 

6 minutes ago, Nellie said:

According to FR24, both early flights tomorrow (12th), to LPL and LCY, are already cancelled. This implies that they expect to have no serviceable aircraft, or insufficient crew to operate them. 

Sounds as though they are in a right mess . I maintain my view that the island needs an airline operating smaller aircraft supplemented by EasyJet. But Loganair need to significantly up their game if it’s them especially as they are responsible for transferring patients for medical treatment.  Please somebody somewhere get hold of this and make them accountable its just not acceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IOM said:

Sounds as though they are in a right mess . I maintain my view that the island needs an airline operating smaller aircraft supplemented by EasyJet. But Loganair need to significantly up their game if it’s them especially as they are responsible for transferring patients for medical treatment.  Please somebody somewhere get hold of this and make them accountable its just not acceptable. 

You want a Manx Aurigny? 

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You want a Manx Aurigny? 

It's not a bad idea. But it needs to be done properly.

It probably needs to be integrated in to an existing carrier I.e. Gov get the aircraft, have someone like Eastern or Blue Islands operate them under a Manx umbrella. Benefits from the economies of scale that kills the idea of an independent manx airline.

Tack on a bunch of performance KPIs, bish bash bosh.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

It's not a bad idea. But it needs to be done properly.

It probably needs to be integrated in to an existing carrier I.e. Gov get the aircraft, have someone like Eastern or Blue Islands operate them under a Manx umbrella. Benefits from the economies of scale that kills the idea of an independent manx airline.

Tack on a bunch of performance KPIs, bish bash bosh.

We should avoid the Aurigny model at all costs. It's a money pit. 

It looks like your idea works in Scotland where the Scottish Government purchased the aircraft outright and then gets a company, in this case Loganair, to operate them. 

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/37313-scotlands-loganair-takes-delivery-of-two-new-twin-otters

38 minutes ago, Nellie said:

That sounds to me like they don't expect the last flights in tonight to arrive due to time constraints. 

8 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

We should avoid the Aurigny model at all costs. It's a money pit. 

It looks like your idea works in Scotland where the Scottish Government purchased the aircraft outright and then gets a company, in this case Loganair, to operate them. 

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/37313-scotlands-loganair-takes-delivery-of-two-new-twin-otters

I agree I have never advocated an Aurigny model . What I want is simple-  an airline to deliver the service they are contracted to provide . Every time any of us buys a ticket we give them money and enter into a contract,  by any other industry the conventional wisdom is that service is delivered no ifs no buts . Yes it’s tough at the moment but that’s no excuse for appalling service standards and none of us should accept it . 

• Like 2