Airport.

Billy kettlefish

37 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Old IOM Mantra: Not made here guv.

Never our fault or problem.

Well if the airport has a closing time and they are aware of it isn’t that right ? If you are a multi millionaire do you expect your local shopkeeper to open after closing just because you have a big wallet ? As long as the time is clearly reported to the airline I don’t see the issue . 

33 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well if the airport has a closing time and they are aware of it isn’t that right ? If you are a multi millionaire do you expect your local shopkeeper to open after closing just because you have a big wallet ? As long as the time is clearly reported to the airline I don’t see the issue . 

Well that's not quite the same comparison.

If the shopkeeper had a published fee schedule that says "hey I'll stay open another 90 mins you just gotta pay for it", I'm prepared to pay for it but your staff can't work anymore hours.. that's basically what is being said by Gov here.

We should be able to extend to 11pm, but on 'this' occasion (which happens all the time) we can't staff it and it impacted Loganair City flight too. Let's also not forget that the DOI created a policy of extended opening to 930pm during summer in order to facilitate an extra Gatwick, because they wanted it.

I'm not saying easyjet shouldn't do more, they should, it's a mess and we don't want to take any responsibility, rather put the burden of liability elsewhere. But we either say for the rest of the summer we won't offer any extended opening and then carriers can plan accordingly or we get our shit together.

930pm closing is silly in itself, we should be offering permanent opening till at least 10pm. Schedulers could probably give us an extra sector every day if they did that.

Edited by NoTailT

17 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Well that's not quite the same comparison.

If the shopkeeper had a published fee schedule that says "hey I'll stay open another 90 mins you just gotta pay for it", I'm prepared to pay for it but your staff can't work anymore hours.. that's basically what is being said by Gov here.

We should be able to extend to 11pm, but on 'this' occasion (which happens all the time) we can't staff it and it impacted Loganair City flight too. Let's also not forget that the DOI created a policy of extended opening to 930pm during summer in order to facilitate an extra Gatwick, because they wanted it.

I'm not saying easyjet shouldn't do more, they should, it's a mess and we don't want to take any responsibility, rather put the burden of liability elsewhere. But we either say for the rest of the summer we won't offer any extended opening and then carriers can plan accordingly or we get our shit together.

930pm closing is silly in itself, we should be offering permanent opening till at least 10pm. Schedulers could probably give us an extra sector every day if they did that.

Yes but where do you drawn the line?  Right now this evenings EasyJet is delayed again scheduled to leave the island at 22.20 so that would miss your proposal . The airlines are a total disgrace at the moment we should be holding them to account to deliver their agreed schedule . 

• Like 4

Just now, IOM said:

Yes but where do you drawn the line?  Right now this evenings EasyJet is delayed again scheduled to leave the island at 22.20 so that would miss your proposal . The airlines are a total disgrace at the moment we should be holding them to account to deliver their agreed schedule . 

24 hour opening? We'll need it for the 500,000 tourists

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, snowman said:

I'd pay extra to land on a flight from the Liverpool or London on a Sunday evening around 10pm. Would make a brilliant, lengthy weekend away. I'm sure many people would like that. No different to getting off the ferry at 10pm.

Totally agree with you. Closed for 930 and home in time for supper Island mentality is stupid.

I also know we could have secured a nightstopping BA Cityflyer jet to LCY if we could offer better capacity at the end of the day. Who knows, we might even be able to secure a nightstopping BA Heathrow if that happens! (I know it's a silly idea, don't worry).

There is literally zero incentive to schedule flights here when there's so much restriction at the end of the day. Flight delays happen, especially at the moment. Airports all around Europe are a bit of a mess and it has knock-ons everywhere. We either help make it work by facilitating the delays and stop pissing off the public, or we keep moaning at cancellations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Totally agree with you. Closed for 930 and home in time for supper Island mentality is stupid.

I also know we could have secured a nightstopping BA Cityflyer jet to LCY if we could offer better capacity at the end of the day. Who knows, we might even be able to secure a nightstopping BA Heathrow if that happens! (I know it's a silly idea, don't worry).

There is literally zero incentive to schedule flights here when there's so much restriction at the end of the day. Flight delays happen, especially at the moment. Airports all around Europe are a bit of a mess and it has knock-ons everywhere. We either help make it work by facilitating the delays and stop pissing off the public, or we keep moaning at cancellations.

I like the idea of a night stopper BACF but am not sure how it would work . The flight would presumably leave early so be back on island around 9-10am what do you do with the aircraft for the rest of the day ? Unless you propose only one rotation a day with early morning off island and evening return ? 

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I knew you'd post that.

I knew someone would post it.and I knew it would be you.

The kind of person who records 'shorts' on YouTube about our favourite magic tricks and shows us the truth. `it really does take away the magic.

Too cheap! You have to pay £350 for one to get the full Man Airlines experience. 

Anyway, made it. 40 hour, three flights and a bus trip that could have gone a lot smoother. Air travel in general seems so screwed these days. 

55 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Even on the matt side the pencil used to slide sideways when you were doing "tracing", so I wouldn't recommend it. 

That conjures all sorts of visions...

Not all of them tasteful 😂

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I like the idea of a night stopper BACF but am not sure how it would work . The flight would presumably leave early so be back on island around 9-10am what do you do with the aircraft for the rest of the day ? Unless you propose only one rotation a day with early morning off island and evening return ? 

That is in essence what it would do, with an additional rotation in the middle of the day. That’s what was proposed anyway. There was scope - with support - for two daily rotations morning and late afternoon with the late night and early AM night stopper. That would give us 3 in either direction.

But opening hours killed it.

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

That is in essence what it would do, with an additional rotation in the middle of the day. That’s what was proposed anyway. There was scope - with support - for two daily rotations morning and late afternoon with the late night and early AM night stopper. That would give us 3 in either direction.

But opening hours killed it.

I agree that would have been a good outcome and served the London market well alongside EasyJet. Let’s hope somebody gives it another look at some point what we have now is an absolute shambles .