Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Just now, Non-Believer said:

The last operating model appeared to be "spend as much as possible in the belief that it would attract passengers"?

Sums up the general government mantra for all areas of operation.

Have pity for Alf, he'll not be popular in a few years from now.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Sums up the general government mantra for all areas of operation.

Have pity for Alf, he'll not be popular in a few years from now.

Alf spends with the best of them. Just not on things that actually matter. £60m to build John Whittaker a ferry port, OK. Subsidise essential air links? Nope, sorry, no cash.

If we want links we need to pay for them. It's what they're doing in Teesside. If not we'll be stuck with EasyJet flying when they can be arsed and ripping people off when they do.

• Like 2

Alfs Treasury and SAVE were driving privatisation or at least part privatisation of the airport.

Main review of that was due to start in Jan. I imagine there's huge consideration to outsource the management and operation of the airport to a 3rd party that actually has good relationships with the airlines.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The role is only interim as well so he clearly has no chance of bagging it long term either. It’s insulting really. 

What makes you say that? Plenty of interim positions become permanent.  He will be as entitled as anyone else to apply for the position when advertised and should have a head start.

• Like 1

Alf's answer to everything is privatise. I'm yet to see a privatised monopoly that's cheaper than a state-owned one. 

Teesside went back into government ownership and have better relations with airlines now than they ever did under Peel Holdings, who ran the place into the ground.

No doubt Alf will come up with a Manx solution to Manx problems and just shovel more cash at John Whittaker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

Blimey. How cheap do you want it?

D9DC651B-1AF3-4460-B2D8-5B35CFFE6469.png

07CB2D24-36ED-463E-9C36-1E0405EC0F70.png

The fare's cheap, but the fare's only half the story. How much for a bag bigger than a postage stamp? I was down the airport the other day, the people being charged £25 a bag at the gate found that out the hard way.

Why you don't show the Gatwick fares? For the end of Nov I was quoted £280 return, before bags!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The fare's cheap, but the fare's only half the story. How much for a bag bigger than a postage stamp? I was down the airport the other day, the people being charged £25 a bag at the gate found that out the hard way.

Why you don't show the Gatwick fares? For the end of Nov I was quoted £280 return, before bags!

£68 Gatwick return. Our last Saturday in October back the next day.

Flights are cheaper than they have ever been. I remember paying far more than your quoted £280 back in the “glory days” of Manx Airlines so probably the equivalent of more than £600 now