Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, gerremonside said:

And do you seriously want those carrying out a vital safety function working beyond the point of fatigue on a regular basis? 

If on 48 out of 61 occasions it’s been required in order to maintain a service then clearly they need to sort out how they engage and roster staff rather than just close the airport and leave people stranded.

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

If on 48 out of 61 occasions it’s been required in order to maintain a service then clearly they need to sort out how they engage and roster staff rather than just close the airport and leave people stranded.

They're massively short staffed in ATC already. They just don't have the staff to roster in a different way, the staff have tried everything. 

ATC has stringent controls on the hours they're allowed to work (and rightly so). They can't just recruit someone tomorrow and have them start work - it's something like an 18 month training process. 

It was the stroke of genius from Gawne/Harmer/Baker that got us into this mess by suspending recruitment of ATC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

They're massively short staffed in ATC already. They just don't have the staff to roster in a different way, the staff have tried everything. 

ATC has stringent controls on the hours they're allowed to work (and rightly so). They can't just recruit someone tomorrow and have them start work - it's something like an 18 month training process. 

It was the stroke of genius from Gawne/Harmer/Baker that got us into this mess by suspending recruitment of ATC. 

Gawne has a lot to answer for, including the Liverpool  landing stage , but never mind he is sitting cosy  at Manx radio just re writing history ,   and blaming everyone else , I was over the Sloc on Sunday , the gateway to heaven  pity is was not Richmond hill !

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Gawne has a lot to answer for, including the Liverpool  landing stage , but never mind he is sitting cosy  at Manx radio just re writing history ,   and blaming everyone else , I was over the Sloc on Sunday , the gateway to heaven  pity is was not Richmond hill !

...not to mention the hidden Steam Packet report and the outrageous sum of money we blew on the purchase ! Oh and ensuring there were no competitive tenders to even explore.

• Like 1

The airport has hours in which it operates if airlines cannot keep their arrivals before it closes that is hardly the airports fault.   To keep the airport open after hours must cost a lot of money there will be a lot of staff involved not just the air traffic controllers then the heating, lighting etc.   There is an option to extend the operating hours which would involve employing more staff etc this cost would have to be met by increasing the landing charges in turn increasing the cost of air travel. I wonder how often the airport is asked to remain open after regular hours, who pays for the extra expense ?     Whatever the answer is I cannot see why the airport is getting bad publicity it has always, to my knowledge, been open between the stated operating hours if the airlines cannot keep to their timetables it is totally down to them when passengers get inconvenienced.    

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The airport has hours in which it operates if airlines cannot keep their arrivals before it closes that is hardly the airports fault.   To keep the airport open after hours must cost a lot of money there will be a lot of staff involved not just the air traffic controllers then the heating, lighting etc.   There is an option to extend the operating hours which would involve employing more staff etc this cost would have to be met by increasing the landing charges in turn increasing the cost of air travel. I wonder how often the airport is asked to remain open after regular hours, who pays for the extra expense ?     Whatever the answer is I cannot see why the airport is getting bad publicity it has always, to my knowledge, been open between the stated operating hours if the airlines cannot keep to their timetables it is totally down to them when passengers get inconvenienced.    

Employing more staff, as others have said, isn't an overnight exercise and then you have the issue of suitably qualified staff at the technical level, and willing candidates at the non-technical level.  As you say, it is not because they can't be arsed  just they cannot extend the hours the airport is open at the drop of a hat (or flight schedule).  

I do wonder, however, if they could look at perhaps closing the airport during lulls in schedules to give a bit of slack. So, say  there are very few flights that arrive/depart between 11 and 3, so it is closed giving the option to open later in the evening without impacting on ATC shifts limitations. I don't know, (and that may be contrary to CAA rules) but it needs a creative look at so that the staff they have are maximised for times when actual flights use the airport. 

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

I know where you are coming from but there are possibly some light aircraft in and out at odd times, it is a problem whatever way you look at it.

Agreed, and I know nothing about the technicalities of running an airport, but it just strikes me that if you are staffing an airport with limited staff, you need to make sure that they are using their shift patterns to deal with as many flights as possible. 

Re light aircraft, how do little provincial airstrips get on with ATC ?  They, surely, don't have an air traffic control tower with a full complement of ATCs? 

29 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It is normally the airline who pay for the extension - but I would be extremely surprised if EasyJet pay anything for the regular extension to allow for the late Gatwick to operate.

See page 6:

https://www.airport.im/media/m0fhp5bf/iom-airport-feescharges-from_april_2021-march-2022-v3-003.pdf

Edited by madmanxpilot

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Acquisition of the racket,  wasn't it put out over a bank holiday weekend with tenders to be in within an incredibly short timeframe or some such nonsense?

I don't recall  but the invitation to tender would have been issued by the previous shareholders, not IOMG, surely? You can't ignore the significance of a sea service to the IOM to the peopke of the IOM which may be valued differently by commercial tenderers. 

54 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

It is normally the airline who pay for the extension - but I would be extremely surprised if EasyJet pay anything for the regular extension to allow for the late Gatwick to operate.

See page 6:

https://www.airport.im/media/m0fhp5bf/iom-airport-feescharges-from_april_2021-march-2022-v3-003.pdf

That might be an interesting FOI request!