Airport.

Billy kettlefish

12 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I wouldn't go to London or it's satellites even if it was free.

You do realise that a lot of the business community who bring investment to the island live in London . And people have friends and family living in London the South East , Oxford and South coast how are they supposed to get here without strong connectivity ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, IOM said:

So you would like a once a day Ryanair service to Stansted one if the worst airports in Great Britain miles away from London ? And how else would you ensure the London market was served ? 

I would like a well thought out service the way we used to have Flybe Gatwick and Aer Arran London City. 

But that is beyond Tynwald and DOI.

So if we're stuck with Open Skies then we may as well think 'fuck it' and get Ryanair in.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, IOM said:

You do realise that a lot of the business community who bring investment to the island live in London . And people have friends and family living in London the South East , Oxford and South coast how are they supposed to get here without strong connectivity ? 

Of course. Are you saying that those places and residents are more important than the rest of the UK?

I said I would not go to those places, I gave no opinion about folk who do want to visit them.

I gave that opinion because such a lot of folk seem to believe that civilised, intelligent life ceases above Watford gap.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Because they're punctuality and reliability is second to none. 

I would rather have a predictable way off the island to London that isn't Loganair or Easyjet. 

Are you talking about Ryanair being punctual and reliable?

Thats certainly not my experience and when you factor in other elements of their “customer experience” they would be the airline I would least want to use.

Stansted is no great shakes either.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I wouldn't go to London or it's satellites even if it was free.

When I worked in Castletown in the early 1980's, one day, I was sent to see an elderly customer, in their own home in Arbory Street. They were staggered that I 'commuted' from Douglas each day. They told me that they hadn't been to Douglas since before the War! 

Funny how your post brought that to mind!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having worked and lived in the great metropolis for a few years I really couldn't understand why some folk actually enjoyed this lifestyle. My daughter is very metropolitan and lived in Dulwich for many years and now resides in Brighton and has done for the last ten years and my views haven't changed at all. The glitz and glitter and one upmanship and crowds and image worship do little to change my mind. Underneath it is the massive rate of homelessness, drug taking and crime which all the glitter fails to hide. As always it may be a lifestyle that some folk enjoy but without money, power or backing it's a dismal place.

All this is my opinion and if folk like that lifestyle good for them but I don't and believe there is too much emphasis on London and the south as a destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Answered your own question there Voicey... 

Well you can enjoy the best of both worlds

Like the good doctor I wouldn’t fancy living down there and I too think things are way too London/South East centric. But his words about homelessness, drug taking, crime et al could equally apply to Manchester

But I’ve had  quite a few good weekends in the smoke doing things you couldn’t do anywhere else. For example I have spent hours in Tate Modern and climbed up the O2 tent ( actually didn’t do the latter, but I could have done if I wanted). To deny yourself such experiences because you don’t like the area as a whole is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Similarly I’m not over keen on the Scots but had a lovely time in Edinburgh a few years ago, going round the castle  walking the old streets, enjoying the local cuisine etc.

You shouldn’t write off a whole geographical area and it’s history, culture and attractions because you don’t like some of the characteristics of its populace.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Having worked and lived in the great metropolis for a few years I really couldn't understand why some folk actually enjoyed this lifestyle. My daughter is very metropolitan and lived in Dulwich for many years and now resides in Brighton and has done for the last ten years and my views haven't changed at all. The glitz and glitter and one upmanship and crowds and image worship do little to change my mind. Underneath it is the massive rate of homelessness, drug taking and crime which all the glitter fails to hide. As always it may be a lifestyle that some folk enjoy but without money, power or backing it's a dismal place.

All this is my opinion and if folk like that lifestyle good for them but I don't and believe there is too much emphasis on London and the south as a destination.

I understand you don’t like it and I am not suggesting everyone does everyone is different there is nothing wrong with that  . My point is that it is a large market and  therefore it’s important to have strong connections to it . 

It’s not the few freeloaders that are the problem.  It is the loss of revenue to pay for the Ringo deal and now the expected additional labour costs of the patrols.  I cannot believe a new barrier wouldn’t have been more cost effective and efficient.