Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 7/23/2022 at 9:45 PM, IOM said:

You do realise that a lot of the business community who bring investment to the island live in London . And people have friends and family living in London the South East , Oxford and South coast how are they supposed to get here without strong connectivity ? 

It's not just getting to London and the South East. Onward connection to Europe and, especially, longhaul are much better through London than Manchester. Travelling most places by air takes all day, no matter where you are going, and stretching that out to two days (each way) for a trip can make it uneconomic or simply too much trouble. Either way the IOM misses out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cypman said:

It’s not the few freeloaders that are the problem.  It is the loss of revenue to pay for the Ringo deal and now the expected additional labour costs of the patrols.  I cannot believe a new barrier wouldn’t have been more cost effective and efficient.

Yes it's interesting that the takings quoted (£55,000) are for two months effectively, but they were taking that per month in 2019.  And that's before any of the extra costs paying for Ringo or for the necessary enforcement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw that on the news page just now, but wasn't there when I checked again. Has it been taken down already. Total embarrassment, half the money taken with higher costs. I guess they will now say anything to justify a stupid decision. 

There was a guaranteed £600,000 pa for the sake of a few quid reinstating a system that had been working successfully for decades and as used by every airport I have ever used. You do have to wonder at the mindset of some of our "leaders" 

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

MHK's ?

I don't think that is actually what it means, as they have absolutely no idea of who has paid and that's why after 2 months they are going to start doing random checks.... You couldn't make it up.                             The split they quoted was the means that the payers who did pay used. Which means that 4% of the people paid by some other method. Hopefully they can explain what that other method was. Or are they just making stuff up...... Again. 

They now have someone who can't do figures or words. They'll probably be applying for them  to go on Countdown soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they are well down on the takings when the barriers were in place and I am waiting to see how much commission  the  parking operators are creaming off in the UK , its a complete abrogation  of government responsibility in my book and just about sums up the DOI, and their approach to things   they couldn't even run a bloody carpark !

• Thanks 3

Am I missing something? . I cannot find the press report that was on the Island's news sights earlier today showing just how successful 😂 the car parking system was at the airport.  Its almost as if someone had realised how aweful the figures are and decided to to try and hide the facts. Surely that can't be right 😂😂😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Also the 60/30 minutes free parking.

Crookall did say that there would be a 60-minute free parking zone when this system was introduced.  Not sure how and if it's working.  And of course it also needs close in-person monitoring to prevent abuse, something that a ticket/ barrier system would not require.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes it's interesting that the takings quoted (£55,000) are for two months effectively, but they were taking that per month in 2019.  And that's before any of the extra costs paying for Ringo or for the necessary enforcement.

In 2019 there were more passengers & flights

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Why can’t they just admit it’s just a clusterfuck?
Admit lessons have been learnt. 
Revert to the old version of barriers and payment on exit. 
Also the 60/30 minutes free parking.

Because the old equipment has already been sold off.

11 minutes ago, snowman said:

In 2019 there were more passengers & flights

True but it wasn't half of what it was then.  May figures were down by 38% as I've previously analysed on here, June by only 28%, despite all the cancellations (I'll try to post a fuller analysis later).  I would have thought that the cancellations would actually have increased car park revenue rather than decrease.

Edited to clarify these are the passenger figures (2019 from various CAA tables, 2022 from the Airport's data)

Edited by Roger Mexico