Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Why can’t they just admit it’s just a clusterfuck?
Admit lessons have been learnt. 
Revert to the old version of barriers and payment on exit. 
Also the 60/30 minutes free parking.

Nooo! I still have a month left on my TT week parking. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, snowman said:

In 2019 there were more passengers & flights

Your point??   This is based on cars. Not based on number of planes

So there were more than 50% less cars were there? parked on an average day for an average number of hours.  Just wondering. 

20 minutes ago, emesde said:

Your point??   This is based on cars. Not based on number of planes

So there were more than 50% less cars were there? parked on an average day for an average number of hours.  Just wondering. 

If there are fewer flights, and fewer passengers, there will be fewer people who want/need to use the Airport car parks while they are away. Isn’t that obvious? 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2

But not to the extent that would give less than 50 % income. Especially when you think of all the extended stays due to cancelled flights etc. No the whole thing was a total mistake brought about by a totally incompetent management who had no idea what was happening in their dept. And then panicked to save themselves looking ridiculous for having done no planning for 2 years and then grabbed at any solution that could save face. Except of course it didn't and now they are trying to justify their incompetence. 

• Like 1

But there us a hidden agenda here ,if they can get the Manx Public to accept  Ringo as a payment system for parking at the airport , you will see it rolled out right across  the DOI  multi story  carparks and sea terminal , I wouldn't put it passed them  to try to introduce   a payment for parking on the street in disc zones ,  I know it has been discussed ,

we must fight this  otherwise it will ruin  the little quality of life the motorist has left on the Isle of man, after all  we are paying  well over the odds for  vehicle licensing  ,and many other services this department provides , 

• Like 4

I'm sure you're right. 

This dept are only keen on outsourcing any contentious issues. 

They could have had a good income from car parking and still kept faith with the public. They seem to have taken the view that any kind of service is too difficult and would rather pass it to anyone else to operate regardless. There will be however no reduction in staff. Just reduction in their work load. The public will just have to pay. 

• Like 3

A month ago I looked at how the May passenger figures compared to 2019 to see whether numbers were gradually returning to normal.  They were 38% down in May, (itself an improvement on earlier in the year) and recovered more in June, being only 28% down:

image.png.bd8e70d6509658dfc3a5d8761acd1603.png

BRS's increase must be helped by switches from LGW, and LPL and MAN, though still lagging behind the southern airports, have picked up a lot.  Anecdotally they may still be hit more by people switching to sea.   LHR and LCY increases may be related to TT traffic as there's a similar pattern in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

A month ago I looked at how the May passenger figures compared to 2019 to see whether numbers were gradually returning to normal.  They were 38% down in May, (itself an improvement on earlier in the year) and recovered more in June, being only 28% down:

image.png.bd8e70d6509658dfc3a5d8761acd1603.png

BRS's increase must be helped by switches from LGW, and LPL and MAN, though still lagging behind the southern airports, have picked up a lot.  Anecdotally they may still be hit more by people switching to sea.   LHR and LCY increases may be related to TT traffic as there's a similar pattern in 2019.

Non scheduled should be the alarm bells. During TT there was a noticeable increase in the number of larger chartered aircraft and the Jet Centre seems busier than ever. I know people who financially would never justify chartering a plane, but are doing so for their outbound flights to go on holiday so that their entire plans aren't scuppered, even if it means whacking it on the credit card. It's a sorry state of affairs really.

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Non scheduled should be the alarm bells. During TT there was a noticeable increase in the number of larger chartered aircraft and the Jet Centre seems busier than ever. I know people who financially would never justify chartering a plane, but are doing so for their outbound flights to go on holiday so that their entire plans aren't scuppered, even if it means whacking it on the credit card. It's a sorry state of affairs really.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure where the IOM Airport are getting the non-scheduled figures from.  They don't match up with the CAA figures.   It's not all charter, which is only about 1200 for June 2022.  Are they including all sorts of things that they wouldn't have in the past?  May figures are similarly out.

Incidentally over half the charter pax are for Palma de Mallorca, which suggests Island-originated traffic rather than TT.

58 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be honest, I'm not quite sure where the IOM Airport are getting the non-scheduled figures from.  They don't match up with the CAA figures.   It's not all charter, which is only about 1200 for June 2022.  Are they including all sorts of things that they wouldn't have in the past?  May figures are similarly out.

Incidentally over half the charter pax are for Palma de Mallorca, which suggests Island-originated traffic rather than TT.

That's interesting. During TT, Eastern were running near daily charters to Luton multiple times per day sometimes.

BRA were bringing multiple flights in from the Nordics and Helvetic showed up with a group from Switzerland. It seemed busier than I can recall in the past with larger aircraft charters. Loganair made zero effort to ramp up the schedule as Flybe did in the past.