Airport.

Billy kettlefish

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I was chatting to someone from Jersey yesterday and we got onto talking about Govt shambles.  Apparently they have similar capital project issues there, but right now there is quite a bit of suspicion that something fishy has been going on with the Jersey Govt owned airline Aurigny.

For the last few years it's been making losses of approx £20m per year (last year was slightly less - £13.5m). 

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2022-03-17/guernsey-airline-aurigny-suffered-135-million-loss-in-2021

This is something to bear in mind when people are asking for more Govt involvement into our airline connections, especially when you consider Jersey has a much more significant tourist industry than we do here. 

However all of a sudden this year they have suddenly started to show a profit and this is at a time when the airline industry as a whole is on its knees! 

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2022-05-25/guernseys-airline-aurigny-encouraged-by-its-2021-financial-results

He isn't someone I would expect to go all conspiracy, but this does seem a bit weird. 

Airlines that have managed their recovery well are bouncing back very well. Even IAG/BA which have had a bit of a mess on their hands have swung from £809m loss to £245m profit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62344654

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

Aurigny is owned by the Guernsey government.I’d have thought the reason it’s making a profit amongst the chaos is that it’s got better market share with EJ and BA flying less frequently. 

easyJet and British Airways have never flown scheduled services to Guernsey.

12 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

And when EasyJet did too. Aurigny have very little competition on key routes now which is probably why they’re nit in the same mess as other airlines.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-24627129

Edited by Bandits

32 minutes ago, Bandits said:

And when EasyJet did too. Aurigny have very little competition on key routes now which is probably why they’re nit in the same mess as other airlines.

Plus management have trimmed the fat and changed the aircraft on the inter-Island services to likes of Alderney which previously hemorrhaged money.

23 minutes ago, asitis said:

Who would have thought it !

Open skies my arse !!!!

I think Guernsey's benefit with Aurigny is the short runway! Creates load issues for likes of easy, BA and Ryanair.

Hence BA only flies there with their E Jets in Cityflyer.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I think Guernsey's benefit with Aurigny is the short runway! Creates load issues for likes of easy, BA and Ryanair.

Agreed but it resonates with restricted market size, something which we have always had and imo always will have !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

@Observeris correct that BA did operate a handful of routes, for a few weeks in Summer 2021, when they didn't have much else to do with their London City based fleet. However easyJet have definitely never operated to Guernsey, even if they did once apply for a license before changing their mind, which is what your link actually says.

However, the original FlyBe were a sizeable player in the Guernsey market, and their demise has probably helped Aurigny, by reducing competition.

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

IIRC it’s more to do with the load bearing capacity of the runway/taxiways/ apron (PCN in pilot speak) rather than field length that is the main issue.

Lots of negativity about the IOM having its own airline, and the example of the losses that Aurigny have until recently been making being the main spouted spoiler. I think it’s far to simplistic to say that if an airline was set up here it would have the same specific issues as Aurigny has - it’s never been fully researched as far as I can remember.

One point often overlooked is the benefit to the local economy - the money that is spent in wages and services by Aurigny airline will be spent mostly in Guernsey, income tax  will go to their coffers too.

IOMG should look into the proposition of a national airline with an open mind and not be put off by the vocal naysayers who find it difficult to see past the bridge of their own noses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

IIRC it’s more to do with the load bearing capacity of the runway/taxiways/ apron (PCN in pilot speak) rather than field length that is the main issue.

Lots of negativity about the IOM having its own airline, and the example of the losses that Aurigny have until recently been making being the main spouted spoiler. I think it’s far to simplistic to say that if an airline was set up here it would have the same specific issues as Aurigny has - it’s never been fully researched as far as I can remember.

One point often overlooked is the benefit to the local economy - the money that is spent in wages and services by Aurigny airline will be spent mostly in Guernsey, income tax  will go to their coffers too.

IOMG should look into the proposition of a national airline with an open mind and not be put off by the vocal naysayers who find it difficult to see past the bridge of their own noses.

Couldn't agree more.

What I think we really need is a reincarnation of Citywing, but licensed and safe. Small planes flying to the UK regions, avoiding the hassle and shitshow of the big airports, but also having a modern economic fleet like Aurigny have now adopted for flying to the hubs in London and Manchester.

Out of interest, what are the immigation facilities at the airport these days? How do they handle Dublin flights since Brexit?

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Do Mercedes build planes?

• Haha 4