Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Don't forget, Amadeus isn't British either. If Eris, woody2 and Rog had their way our Am would be in the same queue as his wife and be refused entry anyway

And have their dinghy confiscated...

That's just for the processing costs. Add an immigration lawyer's time (you only get one throw of the dice, so you have to roll a 6), plus a costly but ridiculously easy English language exam & knowledge of UK/IoM exam & you're looking at £4k easily.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, Amadeus said:

No. Philippines passport holder. IOM doesn’t give out residency cards so unless you bring all your home office paperwork every time you fly, you’re not going anywhere. 

Oh, and all the passengers from the other flight were just out ahead of us in the queue. With just one checkout counter open. What a total joke Loganair is. IOMG needs to get a grip on air travel or they can forget all their fantasy visitor targets. 

Unfortunately that's the reality of travel with isle of man issued visa / work permits. I have a few friends who are in a similar situation. They end up carrying all the paperwork in a file so that they don't have issues. 

The visa stamps issued in the IOM do not  help . Its not easy for an immigration officer / airline employee from another country  to clear someone for a flight to the UK with a visa stamp like this. 

No security features/ no photograph etc unless things have changed recently.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snowman said:

Why would anyone want a British passport. If Amadeus has a German passport would the lady qualify for a German passport? Much more valuable than the xenophobic British one

Because a British one, less valuable as it may be after Brexit, is still 1000 x better than a Philippines one, and the German one, nice as it is, is also harder to get. Might also require time spent in the country, and as much as I like my passport, I don't want to live in the Heimatland anymore. 

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

Unfortunately that's the reality of travel with isle of man issued visa / work permits. I have a few friends who are in a similar situation. They end up carrying all the paperwork in a file so that they don't have issues. 

The visa stamps issued in the IOM doesn't help . Its not easy for an immigration officer / airline employee to clear someone for a flight to the UK with a visa stamp like this. 

No security features/ no photograph etc.

Screenshot_20220810-221413_Gmail.jpg

I'll be contacting IOMG about this. It's not good enough if we want people to move, work, and contribute to society here. At least give them a proper residency permit card. 

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I'll be contacting IOMG about this. It's not good enough if we want people to move, work, and contribute to society here. At least give them a proper residency permit card. 

do white british people have the same issues ?

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Another  thing which often works is to travel on same airline every time .  If they have cleared someone on a particular visa before and can see evidence of successful entry into the UK ( UK immigration  stamp on arrival  + the airline can check ) then its easier the second time. Would suggest carrying  evidence of this for future travel like copy of eticket / boarding pass etc .

Just out of curiosity was this her first time back to the UK with the visa 

I.e was the visa issued recently. 

A visa which has not been used to travel before is often treated as suspicious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

i meant trying to get residency here

British citizens do not  need to get residency permits for isle of man

It's not needed.. There are many who are self employed and run a business. 

It's only a case of needing a work permit if the profession is not exempt from a work permit. 

There is no restriction on stay. 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

it may be easier for foreign nationals to get a uk residency thing then move here once they're british ??

Not really. Residency and citizenship is different.  You need a prolonged period of residency in the UK /IOM to apply for citizenship (with additional tests like life in the UK / English language etc)The process takes 6 + years (could be more now ) 

Also the residency permits etc for all those years are issued for 1 or 2 years or so at a time that need to be renewed ( more fees to the government ;-)) .  I'm also not sure if the ones issued in the UK are valid here ..

Edited by mad_manx

8 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Not really. Residency and citizenship is different.  You need a prolonged period of residency in the UK /IOM to apply for citizenship (with additional tests like life in the UK / English language etc)The process takes 6 + years (could be more now ) 

Also the residency permits etc for all those years are issued for 1 or 2 years or so at a time that need to be renewed ( more fees to the government ;-)) .  I'm also not sure if the ones issued in the UK are valid here ..

i guess the harder it is to get residency here the better it could be for those daft enough to want to