Airport.

Billy kettlefish

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's slightly odd that we haven't heard anything from the new Airport Director, Gary Cobb, yet.  He must have been there about three weeks now and you would have thought there would have been at least a bit of "Hi folks" coverage, even if you wouldn't expect more than bland generalities at this stage.

It would be interesting to see the recruitment criteria for this sort of position. You wonder if the final decision given high standard candidates is based on. 

A.  Best person for the job to achieve real objectives

Or

B. Person least likely to rock any establishment boats. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's slightly odd that we haven't heard anything from the new Airport Director, Gary Cobb, yet.  He must have been there about three weeks now and you would have thought there would have been at least a bit of "Hi folks" coverage, even if you wouldn't expect more than bland generalities at this stage.

Is he even on island, are the government still sending him screen shots of the house they are going to buy him. Is he going to work remotely and just have one of his minions walking round with a go-pro on his chest, to see what needs doing like listening to the sqeaky wheel on baggage trolly. We all seen the adverts about landing a plane via wifi, so running an airport should be childs play.

3 hours ago, emesde said:

It would be interesting to see the recruitment criteria for this sort of position. You wonder if the final decision given high standard candidates is based on. 

A.  Best person for the job to achieve real objectives

Or

B. Person least likely to rock any establishment boats. 

It's more likely to be "C.  Anyone they could get with any sort of the right experience".

As I pointed out earlier in this topic, Cobb has only got seven years experience in aviation (though he was in production management before that) and you'd expect him to be going for Deputy jobs at most in this stage of his career and at a lower salary.  There seems to be a real shortage of qualified people in the industry[1].

His Linkedin was full of the usual self-promoting gabble about change management and all the rest.  Unfortunately even competent people have to spout that nonsense nowadays as that's what HR departments and recruitment firms want to see.  Anyone who prefers English over Bullshit, doing stuff over having meetings, knowledge over the familiar burble of bizbollocks will be regarded with great suspicion in both private and public sectors.  So we'll have to see what he does.

[1]  Obviously that was no excuse for appointing Spake when there were better-suited possibilities around, such as primary school children or tubs of lard.

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's more likely to be "C.  Anyone they could get with any sort of the right experience".

As I pointed out earlier in this topic, Cobb has only got seven years experience in aviation (though he was in production management before that) and you'd expect him to be going for Deputy jobs at most in this stage of his career and at a lower salary.  There seems to be a real shortage of qualified people in the industry[1].

His Linkedin was full of the usual self-promoting gabble about change management and all the rest.  Unfortunately even competent people have to spout that nonsense nowadays as that's what HR departments and recruitment firms want to see.  Anyone who prefers English over Bullshit, doing stuff over having meetings, knowledge over the familiar burble of bizbollocks will be regarded with great suspicion in both private and public sectors.  So we'll have to see what he does.

[1]  Obviously that was no excuse for appointing Spake when there were better-suited possibilities around, such as primary school children or tubs of lard.

Harsh. He has some good real world and relevant experience from what I can see. 

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Harsh. He has some good real world and relevant experience from what I can see. 

I didn't say he hasn't (especially if you look at the links), I just made the observation that it's a little less than you would expect from someone in that job.  This may be because of a lack of suitable people in the industry, but I can't also help wondering if IOMG might be developing a bad reputation as somewhere to work.  It's not just things like the whole Ranson affair, but you wonder if people in the aviation industry know about things like the endless radar saga or the York Aviation report that showed how badly run the Airport was financially.

Of course such conditions might also attract someone wanting to make a name for themselves as a problem solver and reformer.  We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Either they have hired somebody who will do a grand job and make us the envy of the UK aviation industry. Or some one who wants a shitload of cash and then ride off into the sunset with another shitload of cash in severance pay when they realise they have hired another Walter Mitty, guess which one my cash will be on

• Haha 1

During a flight to Ronaldsway Airport on the Isle of Man, the crew of a BAe ATP (SE-LPS) reported that there was no audio tone to confirm the disengagement of the autopilot. Both pilots reported unusual resistance in the flying controls, which suggested that the autopilot had not disengaged.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/aaib-report-bae-atp-se-lps-autopilot-failed-to-disengage-prior-to-landing-ronaldsway-airport-isle-of-man.

8 hours ago, snowman said:

During a flight to Ronaldsway Airport on the Isle of Man, the crew of a BAe ATP (SE-LPS) reported that there was no audio tone to confirm the disengagement of the autopilot. Both pilots reported unusual resistance in the flying controls, which suggested that the autopilot had not disengaged.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/aaib-report-bae-atp-se-lps-autopilot-failed-to-disengage-prior-to-landing-ronaldsway-airport-isle-of-man.

Interesting report! I know we have a few pilots and aviation professionals on here who could probably add some interesting perspective.

But, the main take away from this, for me, was that the ATP's, which have been part of the landscape at Ronaldsway for 30+ years, have probably had their day.

Since there are many people in this thread who fly quite often , I was wondering if anyone has flown on a codeshare ticket from IOM on Qatar airways. 

I found a ticket for early November on QR website.  Leaving from IOM on loganair to LHR and then connecting to QR at LHR 

The weird thing is that the connection is only an hour!!!

I've flown on EK before from IOM with loganair and connected at MAN .  I had to get my luggage and check it again at MAN as loganair didn't have the facility at MAN . There was a 3 hour or so gap between flights 

Before covid ( when flybe was around) it was possible to check in bags all the way to final destination  and just use the transfer desk at MAN

Is an hours connection between flights some sort of mistake?

Contacted QR who seem to think its fine . Loganair asked me to check with QR ..:-(

PS: tickets from IOM to LHR and LHR to DOH and onwards   are all issued by QR directly on their own website.  

Edited by mad_manx

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Since there are many people in this thread who fly quite often , I was wondering if anyone has flown on a codeshare ticket from IOM on Qatar airways. 

I found a ticket for early November on QR website.  Leaving from IOM on loganair to LHR and then connecting to QR at LHR 

The weird thing is that the connection in only an hour..

I've flown on EK before from IOM with loganair and connected at MAN .  I had to get my luggage and check it again at MAN as loganair didn't have the facility at MAN . There was a 3 hour or so gap between flights 

Before covid this was possible with flybe .

Contacted QR who seem to think its fine . Loganair asked me to check with QR ..:-(

PS: tickets from IOM to LHR and LHR to DOH and beyond are all issued by QR directly on their own website.  

Do not do it.

You need to change terminals and get your bags. 1 hour is probably half the time you need, if not more.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

The weird thing is that the connection is only an hour!!!

Before covid ( when flybe was around) it was possible to check in bags all the way to final destination  and just use the transfer desk at MAN

PS: tickets from IOM to LHR and LHR to DOH and onwards   are all issued by QR directly on their own website.  

Use Lufthansa from Liverpool. Far better experience! 

• Thanks 1