Airport.

Billy kettlefish

24 minutes ago, snowman said:

That paragraph absolutely does not apply to manx2. Part of their problem (to put it mildly) was that they would would go out in any weather.

Shots fired, shots fired. And that's just the backfiring engine.

Whats happening with the citywing hangar at the airport? I note it still has their logo on it.

Edited by NoTailT

52 minutes ago, snowman said:

Manx Radio reporting a 3 hour closure on 27 November.

It would be infinitely helpful if the times were also reported.

It would also be infinitely helpful to inform people whether any airline will reinstate their scheduled services.

My Bristol to IOM flight was cancelled two days ago on that Sunday. I looked around and there appears to be no  other flight easyJet or Logan air to or from the island on that day.  Isle of Man - where you can 

I am guessing that this closure may be for an emergency exercise, which is a requirement of the CAA Licensing process.  Historically, these exercises were held in the evening after the last aircraft movement.  I guess the late Gatwick departure now makes this impractical. 

On 8/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, Nellie said:

@Chris Thomas is it true that Ronaldsway is going to be closed on Sunday 27th November, with no scheduled flights in or out, so some sort of training/simulation exercise can take place? Just asking as it is impossible to book flights on that date, and this the explanation which Loganair are giving .

If it is true, and suspect it is, do other airports do this? I don’t recall hearing of  Heathrow or Gatwick closing, and losing revenue, so they can pretend there’s been some sort of accident. Has Ronaldsway ever been closed in such circumstances before? 

From customer service, economic and reputational points of view, is this a sensible thing to be doing as the Airport struggles to regain lost traffic, passengers and credibility? 

I know it may be argued that ‘safety’ trumps everything, but where is the balance and common sense here?!

I posted the above back on 30th August. No-one was interested,  at the time.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Cypman said:

I am guessing that this closure may be for an emergency exercise, which is a requirement of the CAA Licensing process.  Historically, these exercises were held in the evening after the last aircraft movement.  I guess the late Gatwick departure now makes this impractical. 

Logically Sunday morning would be the best time, but if only 3 hours are required, it doesn't really explain the existing cancellation of the Bristol flight late afternoon.  Could be coincidence I suppose.

Edited to add:   I wouldn't mind betting that they are supposed to do these regularly and haven't done one for ages and the (UK) CAA are getting narky.

Edited by Roger Mexico

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wouldn't mind betting that they are supposed to do these regularly and haven't done one for ages and the (UK) CAA are getting narky.

Possibly the requirement for regular safety exercises would come under the Airport Emergency Plan. That's the one we are not allowed to see in case the terrorists get hold of it and wreak havoc on the schedules. I'm just guessing.

Some of the previous exercises regards airfield emergencies have been held on a Sunday morning - when no flights were timetabled.  I do seem to remember one of them, actually over ran a bit and there was a landing of a timetabled flight while the services were still airside, although well away from the main runway.  Passengers were told it was an exercise and nothing to worry about.

It wont be holding up any flights, and none will probably cancelled because of it.

4 hours ago, snowman said:

Manx Radio reporting a 3 hour closure on 27 November.

It would be infinitely helpful if the times were also reported.

It would also be infinitely helpful to inform people whether any airline will reinstate their scheduled services.

its a non story airport closed for about 3 hours for full emergency exercise  involving all the Islands  emergency services coastguard  etc , and not the first time , it used to be a regular mid Sunday morning event ,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Some of the previous exercises regards airfield emergencies have been held on a Sunday morning - when no flights were timetabled.  I do seem to remember one of them, actually over ran a bit and there was a landing of a timetabled flight while the services were still airside, although well away from the main runway.  Passengers were told it was an exercise and nothing to worry about.

It wont be holding up any flights, and none will probably cancelled because of it.

18 minutes ago, Omobono said:

its a non story airport closed for about 3 hours for full emergency exercise  involving all the Islands  emergency services coastguard  etc , and not the first time , it used to be a regular mid Sunday morning event ,

I suppose that is why, currently, you are unable to book any flights to or from the Isle of Man on that date and have not been able to do so for a few weeks.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Currently there are NO flights in or out from IOM that day