Airport.

Billy kettlefish

39 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

As ive been saying and the Minister confirms "we have an airport that isn't quite resilient enough."

Yes Chris Thomas is very clear what is needed and together with the new Airport Director will I am sure make big improvements . I think we would all agree the airport requires more resilience perhaps now you will let them get on with their work rather than firing off some of your ill considered posts ! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes Chris Thomas is very clear what is needed and together with the new Airport Director will I am sure make big improvements . I think we would all agree the airport requires more resilience perhaps now you will let them get on with their work rather than firing off some of your ill considered posts ! 

Well I mean the new airport director says they need 15 ATC staff but only have 10. So I'm not wrong that there are problems in ATC that have resulted in cancelled flights.

It all boils to one thing: operational resilience.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

Well I mean the new airport director says they need 15 ATC staff but only have 10. So I'm not wrong that there are problems in ATC that have resulted in cancelled flights.

It all boils to one thing: operational resilience.

I ageee with you about airport resilience but I have faith that the Minister and team will sort it . I also happen to think the ten individuals are all hardworking well intentioned professionals .

What I just don’t agree with is your simplistic approach at times . For example you saying ATC  “ buggering off “ as you so rudely put it the other night ( and everyone knows that ATC stands for air traffic control even though you suggested not ) or any other number of your unhelpful remarks . 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many controllers need to be on shift at any given time, and their shift patterns? I must admit I was surprised to read it should be 15 although we are in the middle of flight paths to Ireland and North America.

P.S. Thank fuck Longworth was never let loose in the airport!

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Does anyone know how many controllers need to be on shift at any given time, and their shift patterns? I must admit I was surprised to read it should be 15 although we are in the middle of flight paths to Ireland and North America.

Depends on services being provided.

An aircraft cruising up on its way to the US or Ireland doesn't contact Ronaldsway at any point. Going from London and flying over IOM it'll go London Centre > Scottish Centre > Shanwick, possibly Ireland in between depending on the flight path.

They'd only establish contact with Ronaldsway for local tower services I.e. ground movements and runway activities, or radar for approach services. At a guess I'd say minimum 3, possibly 4 per shift.

Edited by NoTailT

11 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Given it’s a 7 day a week, 6am to 10pm, stint, 364 days a year, and there are maximum daily hours, and you’ve got to have cover for comfort and lunch etc. breaks, holidays, sickness, etc. 10 must be pushing the limits of double staffing.

• Like 2

Just now, NoTailT said:

Depends on services being provided.

An aircraft cruising up on its way to the US doesn't contact Ronaldsway at any point. Going from London and flying over IOM it'll go London Centre > Scottish Centre > Shanwick, possibly Ireland in between depending on the flight path.

They'd only establish contact with Ronaldsway for local tower services I.e. ground movements and runway activities, or radar for approach services. At a guess I'd say minimum 3, possibly 4 per shift.

4 per shift is going to require an establishment of at least 20

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Given it’s a 7 day a week, 6am to 10pm, stint, 364 days a year, and there are maximum daily hours, and you’ve got to have cover for comfort and lunch etc. breaks, holidays, sickness, etc. 10 must be pushing the limits of double staffing.

10 sounds low and may explain why there's been many times where radar services have been unavailable for there's been scheduled NOTAM'd gaps in radar services during the day.

Edited by NoTailT